cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking/cancelling Zero Feedback bidders

After I got stiffed by a couple zero feedback bidders ["ZFB's"], I no longer want them bidding. Mainly because what I sell are kinda like "drops" with the best results occurring within a very limited time frame. Waiting for ebay to let me cancel and relist a non-payer is no help. Item goes stale
AND, according to ebay's own "buyer management>> buyer requirements page (https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements) I should be able to block any ZFB who may be winning. See screenshot below:  "currently winning or have bought ...." (not "and have bought..."). 

Every time I enable that setting, it somehow gets turned off , I get ZFB's and I have to go and cancel them manually. And even when I turn it back on, I STILL get ZFB's 

1 - So far I have only been able to cancel ZFB's on the desktop, butnot my android app. Anyone know how to do that on the android app?

2 - Is there any other easy way to keep ZFB's off my items? I clearly state in descriptions "Do not bother bidding if you have no feedback score. Bids from zero-feedback buyers will be cancelled!"  but they still pop up like weeds. If someone cant even follow those simple instructions, then clearly they cant be trusted to follow through on purchases
3 - Att: "Mentors" - WHY doesn't the setting keep ZFB's off my items?? Why have the setting if it is not going to do its job? I have spoken to countless tech support folks, and no help whatsoever :'( 

Thanks

blocking zero buyers.jpg

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Blocking/cancelling Zero Feedback bidders

@dover.magic 

You are misreading what you see in your screen shot, you can limit how many items a low feedback buyer can purchase, but you can not block them completely - the minimum number of purchases you must allow is 1, not 0.

Low feedback is not a valid reason for cancelling a transaction. If you are cancelling as problem with address or buyer requested, you are violating policy and your selling can be restricted.

Further down in that same page, you should have the option to require payment info at time of bidding. That means the payment is processed immediately upon the end of the auction.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

That setting only applies to multiple item purchases, which is why it is indented from the setting just above it. It can stop a zero or low feedback buyer from buying two or more items within ten days. It will not stop them from buying one item.

There is no way to preemptively block zero or low feedback users from buying a single item.

If you want to avoid unpaid items, list fixed price with immediate payment required and avoid offers.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Then ebays wording is wrong. The "parent" condition is one OR the other - if EITHER condition (currently winning OR have bought [x] items from me) exists then the sub-condition of blocking a ZFB should kick in if checked. 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

The "parent" condition is one OR the other - if EITHER condition (currently winning OR have bought [x] items from me) exists then the indented/sub-condition of blocking a ZFB should kick in if checked. Ebay's wording is wrong if it wont let me block a ZFB. Its not klike its hard to get one feedback  - buy something BIN for cheap, complete the transaction, get seller feedback. Get history of following thru and following instructions. Anyone who cannot follow a simple instruction, cannot be trusted in my experience of selling things for decades, not just here on ebay. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

The "parent" condition is one OR the other - if EITHER condition (currently winning OR have bought [x] items from me) exists then the indented/sub-condition of blocking a ZFB should kick in if checked.

A person who has not yet bid on anything or bought anything of yours does not meet either condition, and is therefore not blocked when making an initial purchase or bid. The block only kicks in when that user attempts a second bid or purchase within ten days.

It has never been possible to preemptively block a user with zero feedback from bidding just based on that feedback number.

At one time it was possible to block a user with a negative feedback total, but not zero.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

He often has met the first condition - "is winning"

I get that ebay wont let me block a ZFB, but if they wont, then their wording above is illogical and incorrect.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

"Who has not yet bid on anything" - correct, not met either requirement

But I am referring to ZFBs who ARE WINNING my auction.

Such is the case RIGHT NOW. The high bid on one of my items is a ZFB and so  - again, according to ebays wording of the requirements - should be blocked . 

But he or she is NOT blocked

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@dover.magic 

I guess they could word it a little more clearly so it was understood that you are blocking the buyer from bidding or buying additional items. But I think you can also see that if they wanted to give you a way to block all new members, they would have given you a separate condition for that.

Think of the rule you're trying to use in terms of volume purchases, not a single purchase. When I sold jewelry supplies, I stopped somewhat new users from buying more than 20 items. But then, eBay didn't have the option to require payment info at time of bidding back then. I still think this would solve your problem, and perhaps earn you some new repeat buyers.

eBay member since 2001.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Sounds good in an ideal world. But I have always had that condition applied, and still got stiffed by ZFBs. Having payment info apparently does not mean that payment automatically happens upon winning an auction. At least not the ones I got stiffed on. And again, I clearly state "No Zero Feedback bidders" in my descriptions and if a ZFB decides to bid anyway, it says a lot about that bidder, none of it good

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@dover.magic 

If you have the require payment info box checked, the buyer's payment should be processed as soon as the auction ends. I have never seen anyone complain that it doesn't work.

I would double check your requirements page to make sure it is checked, and make sure 'apply to active and future' is still selected (as in your screen shot).

If you get another instance where it does not work, please post about it on the tech issues board.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Report-eBay-Technical-Issues/bd-p/technicalissues-db

eBay member since 2001.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@dover.magic 

< I clearly state "No Zero Feedback bidders" in my descriptions... >    

There are some people who would consider that a challenge, and place a bid with no intention of following through, but instead intending "By gumbo, I'll show him!" or some such nonsense, and then stiff you or worse.  Worse would be a fraudulent NAD. 

< ...and if a ZFB decides to bid anyway, it says a lot about that bidder >    

I know what you're implying, but something else it might be saying is that the bidder didn't read the entire listing.  

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Gosimus, you are correct on both counts.

And both counts are among the reasons I will manually be cancelling ZFBs 😄 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

If you mean where I have the red arrow, yes, it is always checked, and I have spoken with ebay tech support many times. And take a look at the BLUE arrow. I turned on that toggle countless times, including when I took the screenshot for my original post. And it keeps switching itself off. I have also spoken to ebay tech support about this many times, and each time, the tech tells me “I promise you this will be fixed going forward.”

But it never gets fixed, and I have given up on it so will continue to manually cancel ZFB’s

At this point I just want to find a way to do that from the android app, not just from my desktop.

ebay buyer reqmts.jpg

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@dover.magic 

That payment requirement is for best offers. Don’t you have another line for auctions? That’s the one you need.

I really don’t remember if the toggle has to stay in place after you submit the changes. I thought it always referred to the new changes you were making - but it has been a long time since I made changes on that page other than the payment requirements.

I did not see anything about it on the tech issues board. Maybe post it there so folks with more expertise can comment.

eBay member since 2001.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply