cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 days is too long!

I don't have a question, but I would love for other sellers to chime in and express their support (hopefully!) for getting rid of the FOUR DAY CALENDAR WAIT on buyers who won't pay us for the items they purchased. Literally, no other online store in America allows a buyer to wait four days to pay for an item they've just ordered. Ebay needs to get rid of a buyer's ability to not pay immediately after they hit the "Buy It" button. Only auctions should have any grace period for payment, and that should be a max of 48 hours in my opinion.

Am I the only seller who thinks the current ebay policy is ridiculous?  I am so annoyed that I have to wait one more day to cancel an order on a person who clearly doesn't want the item they ordered.  Who has been contacted at least three times, so it's unlikely she's just forgotten to pay.  Grrrrr!

Please post a comment if you agree (or even disagree) with my post!  

Thank you.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: 4 days is too long!

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@babyabuys wrote:

Ebay needs to get rid of a buyer's ability to not pay immediately after they hit the "Buy It" button. Only auctions should have any grace period for payment,

Are you not using Immediate Payment required on your BIN listings?

It works great, not one nonpayer since 2011.

For those of us that sell stuff that often ends up with a buyer purchasing multiple listings, IPR is not our friend.  It ends up costing us money and time with refunds and fees that won't get refunded.

So it works great for many sellers and not so much for others.  Me personally it use to be a mixed bag.  When I use to sell fragrances, I used IPR on all those listings, but not my craft stuff.  That would cost me sales.

With what the OP is selling IPR may not be a good idea for them either.  But it is a decision for each seller to make.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You may find newer sellers that would be in favor of that but not likely those that have been selling here a long time.  The 4 days is significantly less than how it use to be.  The worst was when we had to wait 7 days to file the UID, then 3 more days to see if the buyer responds.  Then it dropped in timing a few years ago and now we are at 4 days which works terrific for many.

One of the things I would share with you is that Ebay does NOT set a sellers Terms of Sale [TOS].  They do not have a policy on how quickly a buyer has to pay their seller.  That is a TOS for the seller to set.  So do YOU explain what your TOS is on when you expect a buyer to make payment?

If not, why?  It is never a good idea to leave your payment terms to the imagination of a buyer.  So best to say them clearly and simply.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@babyabuys wrote:

Ebay needs to get rid of a buyer's ability to not pay immediately after they hit the "Buy It" button. Only auctions should have any grace period for payment,

Have a great day
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Just check the Immediate Payment Required box on your future item listings. There is no reason to have non-payers for fixed price listings. Since I stopped running auctions over a decade ago, I haven't had to deal with a single non-payer.

You can use Bulk Edit to revise your current listings.

inceptions_0-1647741538300.png

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@babyabuys wrote:

For those of us that sell stuff that often ends up with a buyer purchasing multiple listings, IPR is not our friend.  It ends up costing us money and time with refunds and fees that won't get refunded.

So it works great for many sellers and not so much for others.  Me personally it use to be a mixed bag.  When I use to sell fragrances, I used IPR on all those listings, but not my craft stuff.  That would cost me sales.

With what the OP is selling IPR may not be a good idea for them either.  But it is a decision for each seller to make.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I do have payment terms established in every listing -- pay right now with a buy it now, and you've got 72 hours for auctions. Unfortunately...this was a counter offer I made her, which she accepted, but then she didn't pay.  (I guess the system doesn't force one to pay right away on an offer.)  Ebay then gives her four calendar days to pay.  As it turns out, it will all hopefully work out. She says she didn't get paid as she had expected, so couldn't pay me.  She promises she will pay as soon as she can this week. We'll see. Fingers crossed!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Yes, I have my listings set to pay immediately for BIN listings.  Apparently,  in an offer situation, buyers still have the option to buy it but not pay. That's what I'm wishing Ebay would get rid of. If you buy something, you should have to pay for it right them (or you didn't really buy it).  🐵   

I mean, my goodness Ebay!  I've had things literally sold out of my cart on other sites, when I didn't purchase it fast enough.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

My bad, folks. I should have clarified. This was an offer then counter-offer situation.  Even though this item was and all my other buy-it-now items are set up to require immediate payment, apparently with an offer they have the option to buy and not pay.  Grrrr.  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@babyabuys 

Whatever payment terms you state in your descriptions are overridden by Ebay policy. Ebay allows 4 days (NOT 72 hours) before a seller can cancel the transaction on the 5th day due to Buyer Didn't Pay. I do not see the  "Immediate Payment Required" notice stated  on your Buy It Now listings.

As stated, you can choose Immediate Payment Required on your Fixed Price/Buy It Now listings. You can't have Immediate Payment Required set up on a Best Offer.

By the way, Ebay actually shortened the time in which sellers could finalize the Unpaid Item process, it used to be 6 days.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Setting your TOS [terms of sale] in your listings are always a good thing.  Most buyers will honor them.  But then there will be others that know you can't enforce what you put.  

Ebay is currently testing a new rule to make buyers pay immediately when they accept an offer.  It will take them a little bit to test and gather data.  It is likely to roll out later this year.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@babyabuys 

That's correct, though as mentioned, eBay is doing limited testing for IPR on Best Offers now. For now until things change sitewide, don't make offers if you want IPR.

@mam98031 

eBay forced IPR on all listings for many sellers years ago, including mine (I never set it that way, I didn't want it set that way, but I cannot override it). This is presumably because I have shipping discount rules set up. So buyers cannot request invoices nor can I send them.

A large % of my orders are for multiple items. Buyers have to "know" to add items to their cart in order for the shipping discounts to be auto-applied. Since many buyers don't bother to read item descriptions any more, instead of adding items to their carts, these buyers purchase items one at a time. It's rare that a day goes by that I'm not refunding over-payments (at great cost to me because eBay doesn't refund fees on partial refunds which has resulted in thousands of dollars in over-paid fees over the years).

Looking forward to May when they start prorating fee credits for refunds...

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 11 of 11
latest reply