cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

won something that I am not sure what it is and need help on where to start.

Hello,

I won an item and if you do advanced search/sold items look for "sterling silver serving tray scrap" you can find it. Purchase price of $213.

I was able to find out that the "K" & "J" stands for Kraljevina Jugoslavia, translated to the "Kingdom of Yugoslavia". A fairly large country formed after WWI[1918] and gone/overrun in beginning of WWII[around 1941]. I found pictures of a very similar one when I googled "Kingdom of Yugoslavia sterling silver". On it is "HOC SIGUM VERE REGUM EST" meaning, "THIS IS THE SIGN OF THE TRUTH OF THE KING". The columns have "PLUS" & "ULTRA" on them.

I have a couple questions. The one that I googled is 10" a lot less weight and is not marked in any way. Mine is hand made and is stamped "AUSTRIA 925" and some name I can not make out.  Could the 10" one possibly be a copy on mine? Is mine real?

I don't believe it is a serving tray but a decoration, possibly something that would hang on a wall?  I wonder why it was cut in two and resoldered. Without knowing, my theory is that to keep it out of occupying hands[Germans or Russians?], it was made smaller to smuggle it out or hide? 

It looks like it had an earlier stamp and that was removed[?]. Again, only guessing but it may have been the original mark but was replaced by the silversmith that put it back to gether?

The one picture shows it stamped with "AUSTRIA" with something under it[?], to its left upside down "925" and to the left of that it looks like it may have had another stamp? The other shows where it was cut in 2 pieces.

Anyway, I just don't think this is a hunk of scrap silver but I don't know where to start looking for more info.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Karl.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Not Austrian or Yugoslavian. The letters "austria" are the end of the Spanish word Industria. The letters below that are the end of the word Peruana. You have an item made in Peru. The style on the rim is also very much like South American work.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I guess it's too late to edit my post. Note that when I wrote "austria" I should have writen before that "the letters you are seeing as austria." The first letter is not an A but rather a D.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

This is an example of the civic heraldry of the City of Lima, Peru.    It was probably sold as a souvenir of that city.

The three crowns represent the three magician kings (the Magi) of the Bible and three Spanish Catholic kings.  Lima was named by the Spanish conquerors as the King's City. The letters I and K stand for the Spanish Queen Johanna and King Carlos (Karolus). The two-headed eagle is the Spanish imperial eagle.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Here's a medal from the City of Peru, 1913, a picture being worth a thousand words.  It is from the Peru Arms website:  http://www.hubert-herald.nl/Peru.htm

image100.jpg

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Tht should read from the City of LIMA, of course.  "Ciudad de Lima."   And in the previous post, not I K but J K (Johanna & Karolus).

Very tired.  Sorry. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the info. That all makes sence. I really thought I was on to something and *USTRIA fit perfectly as the Kingdom of Yugoslavia was formed from part of Austria but the **UANA made me think of something Mexican or Central American and didn't fit with any sort of Yugoslavian name or word.

Can't find much on Industria Puruana but it seems to be a desireable silver and it did test as silver.

Still wonder why it was cut in half. It was cut very finely so it possibly could be soldered back together cleanly and I wished I could find out what the other name or what ever was removed?

Just curiosu if someone here, while I am here might be able to answer andother non related question? I won something as "STERLING SILVER" and it is not. I asked for a refund and waited. Never hear anything until yesterday when I was told it needs to be delievered by the 5th or I MAY loose my refund. I work nights and just was able to mail it but it will take 3 days to get there but because of the weekend, it will be late. IF I received a notice earlier, I would have mailed it then.  Is there anything I can do, IF they refuse it because it was late?

Thanks again and HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Karl.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply