cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What hot in Antiques right now?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know the mid-century retro furniture,lamps are anything else I should be stocking my shelves with?

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: What hot in Antiques right now?

I can sure understand that, very valid reasons, the board looks like a land mine and of course the other.....

Message 46 of 55
latest reply

I've been lamenting the loss of Ol' Spring for awhile now. I think he posted on the very first thread I ever posted on this board.

He was a wealth of knowledge in his field and a truly great loss to the board.

Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum
Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.

Don

Message 47 of 55
latest reply

Thanks, Sharona. That is @ 15% of my shop...I am responsible for every "booth". It's funny....when some arrogant customer asks me to get the "owner" of a piece on the phone...I put my landline to one ear and cell to the other. I carry simple and cheap right through mid-level and sought after. The cheap flies. The "better" gets "tag-flipped". People(fellow dealers/flippers) feel this unusal sense of entitlement. They just do not get it. I have to pay very fairly to get "better" merch in....ergo, so do they.

Message 48 of 55
latest reply

@hungry4toys wrote:

Forget the antiques.

Here's what we should be looking for to resell:

Completed Listing --

how many of these rare pants are there ?

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNVM CANTABO AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Message 49 of 55
latest reply

I have been doing well with old photography and advertising. I think that the market is shifting to more design than fine antiques. 

Message 50 of 55
latest reply

Here's a few lessons I've learned as of late...

Clothing market is down too, designer and vintage/antique I would say 60-70% less than it was 5 years ago. As with anything the super rare high end is still in demand but weaker prices than before. Clothing seems to be doing better at live auctions than on internet auctions.

Online it seems that mostly brick and mortar dealers and private site dealers buying for resale. Which means low prices and a lot of fishing for partial refunds.

Chinese market is also slowing down too, except (as usual) the best stuff.

I also have booth space at a B/M store. Was trying to sell nice stuff at decent prices but it wasn't moving. I've found that kitchy stuff at lower prices moves really quick. Less profit but much faster turnover.  Cool looking fun stuff is selling quickly - 70s toys, small accent furniture especially painted funky, repurposed items, records, Outdoor furniture, garden stuff (like plant stands), small cafe table/chairs, mid century items clean lines (ikea look).

Hipsters seem to have the money right now and they want quirky statement style pieces. Whether or not they are antique doesn't seem to matter just as long as they have an interesting look.

Antiques are in a low cycle, I'm sure they will come back eventually, everything does.

But right now it seems to be weird stuff at reasonable prices that are moving the best.

Message 51 of 55
latest reply

Someone mentioned Japanese stuff, what about Japanese prints? I have a number of them that I think my grandparents originally purchased. Since I have no idea who the artists are (only a symbol, no written name on them) it's hard to figure out. Any suggestions?

Message 52 of 55
latest reply

@79knollwood wrote:

Someone mentioned Japanese stuff, what about Japanese prints? I have a number of them that I think my grandparents originally purchased. Since I have no idea who the artists are (only a symbol, no written name on them) it's hard to figure out. Any suggestions?

Scan or photograph them and then try this website, where you can actually search with an image:

https://ukiyo-e.org/

I have ID'ed several Japanese woodblock prints on this site.

Message 53 of 55
latest reply

I was a top rated power seller on ebay for a few years, but i am making money on facebook market place and let go It is true that i sell for less on these sites (considering I am only making a 30 to 35 percent markup fee) but then again, i don't pay any fees on these sites and my items seem to sell quicker. For example, I bought a record that I listed on ebay for 30 dollars (1.2 of what others were listed as) and let it go for a 30 day listing, Lots of watchers but none of this turned into bids. I listed the item on facebook or letgo for 25 and sold for 20 on letgo. When you consider that approximately 6 dollars of the 30will be paid to ebay and pay pal not to mention the 7 dollar shipping i would have lost 3 dollars on ebay. I like these formats better because your customer base is more local and you have a larger audience to sell to. Items sell faster and usually for more money
Message 54 of 55
latest reply

got lots of very rare antiques but new to this eBay sales. can you advise how to sell the best?
Message 55 of 55
latest reply