cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value of Lynchburg #36 cd 162 insulator

Might an insulator collector give me a general idea a to the value of this old insulator?  An internet search catalogs it as Lynchburg #36, cd-162 , type 1, mold G9.  It appears to be in good condition as I can't find any obvious chips, with the "drips" in fine shape.  The Lynchburg name is obviously hand done in the mold with the "N" reversed (mirror image).  I realize this isn't a highly sought after insulator but have thus far been unable to find a "comparable" sold to get an idea as to value.  Any imput would be appreciated. (Second insulator is Hemmingray)(Second insulator is Hemmingray)Lynchburg #36 cd-162Lynchburg #36 cd-162

Thanks for checking out my post...

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

If you want to sell it on eBay, you can look at the completed listings for similar items.  Here, for example, is a quick search of "Lynchburg insulators" which shows a #36 that went unsold for $29 and a #162 that sold for $4.25.   I didn't scroll through the entire.  Those are just the first #36 and #162 I can across.  There may be others in completed listings.

Search:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lynchburg+insulator&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_ud...

Here's another search of current listings:

https://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_s...

You'll have ideas for better searches.  Those are just the quick and obvious ones I did, knowing nothing about insultators.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Unfortunately, I have done searches but have yet to find a corresponding Lynchburg #36 with the specific aberration in the hand spelling of the name.  Those produced from this mold appear to be quite rare.  I'm hoping that someone might have a price guide of collectible insulators that could "peg" it down.   But I certainly appreciate the response.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Every single antiquarian, antique, or collectible thing is being faked these days, so maybe this is another Asian fake.  I know nothing about insulators, so I wouldn't be able to tell.

Value isn't even an issue any more.  I have now seen fake 1950s plastic "housecoat" buttons coming in from Asia.  The things aren't worth more a dollar two, at most, but I guess if you can make something for a fraction of a cent and sell it for a buck and do it enough times, it's worth your while. 

What I'm saying is that if fake cheap buttons are coming in, something like insulators might be a goldmine.  Just a thought.  I repeat, I know nothing about insultators specifically.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply