cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver plate sugar bowls and limoge dinner set

Just so glad that we had antique discussion on ebay!  I do have some questions:

1. Were there sugar bowls made in mid and late 1800s, with no lids?  Wasn't too sure if some sugar bowls made without lids during that time, or were lost later.

2. I own a few Limoge sets and some of them contain small round plates, anout 2.5 inch wide (like doll size)  What are these called and were they for tea bags?

Thank you in advance,

Niki

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

1. Sugar bowls used in the UK usually don't have lids, those used in North America usually have lids. I can't speak for any other regions.

2. If the small plates are too small for coasters, they may be for individual servings of butter, which were called butter pats (both the butter and the little plate). They could be used for tea bags, but if you are using a teaset, the tea (either loose or in bags) would be in the teapot, not in an individual's cup.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

The form of the bowl itself will dictate if it originally had a lid, (sugar bowel or no),, A cursory glance by a Knowledgeable Individual will instantly identify the Utilitarian Use, Maker , Years Manufactured and more often than not, who purchased patterns and company that renamed both.. Sounds complicated but not really..

Take clear photos of:  Porcelain imprints, (all marks and stamps on back no matter how faded or tiny) and take a all inclusive photo of front and back of the subject piece!

I collect a pattern "Chinese Ching" that has been bought and sold and past around over the 19th century that I have 6 different (so far) company names and pattern name changes.. Frustrating but fun!

Also, there was no porcelain product made to hold tea bags,, sounds like butter pat's and that is a collector field all on it's own.. Especially among Flow Blue Buyers!

Good Luck!

The Best Thing To Do Now Is Stay Calm!
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hi, thank you for your post.  The said silver plated sugar bowl was made in the late 1800s by Southington Cutlery.  I am quite impartial to obtain it.  The small plates have raised edges, and are 2 inches wide like in the pic attached.

Screenshot_20221230_072658_Facebook.jpg

 thank you,

Niki

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi, thank you for your post.

To hold tea bags was what I was told when I had originally asked the seller.  Well, I wasnt too sure if she knew so I thought I'd check.

The said plates are Limoges CH Haviland.  Pretty pink blossoms pattern and gold trimmed.  Really pretty and familiar pattern as they made 1000s of rose prints 😹😹  Though I am travelling at the moment so I cant post the pic here.  I have other Limoges and this is the only one thay has "butter pat"

As for the sugar bowl, its hard to tell from the pic if it looks like it had a lid.  The seller says there wasnt one so Im not sure 🤔

Thank you again for your post,

Niki

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Absolutely!  looking at your posted pics, I am Certain there are folks here that are much more knowledgeable than I on these late Vicky (Victorian) companies and patterns. My expertise stops with Ironstone (mid 19th century) Pottery & Porcelain..  The marvelous thing about our Antique Community (cult) is that we're all passionate collectors, quasi dealers and always willing to share what we've learned and the mistakes we've made.. I rarely see this in any other field! That's where we're fortunate!

Ibuyoldstuf

The Best Thing To Do Now Is Stay Calm!
Message 6 of 6
latest reply