cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloisonne Old or New how do you tell ?

I have done some research but have not been able to figure out any tell tell signs. I usually don't deal with stuff like that much, so I was hoping someone here had some insight on it. An the reason I ask there's an estate sale this weekend that has a bunch but I don't know enough about it to know which items would be good for resale. I would like to post a link for the pictures. But I am not sure is the pinks allow that any more. TIA DeAnne

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Cloisonne Old or New how do you tell ?

@deannedavidddt wrote:

I really don't know any thing about oriental antiques but I guess I should learn. 

Yup, you should. 🙂

As that knowledge would've had you looking past the cloisonne items and had your eyes focused on this little gem... 

JADE CENSER.jpg

It may not be the best quality stone, but the carving is very, very well done. Probably the best and most valuable piece in the entire lot, IMO. A little sleeper! (Chinese, late-19th/early-20th C. carved jade censer)

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

HA! That is the one thing I saw that I thought, wow I'll bet thats a good one!! means I'm learning!! Thanks jpg 🙂

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Well I will go back tomorrow and se if its still there. Frank the guy that runs the estate sale is a friend of mine and if it is still there he will give me a good deal on it. So what do you think would be a good price?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I doubt if it is still there,it is nephrite jade incense burner,with dragons.

is there any cracks?

if it i still there and old,it could go for 500-1200.

new ones are going for a few hundred dollars now.

The best cloisonne comes from China,Peking craftmanship and very time consuming,with multiple steps involved in production.

They perfect the techniques and they dont get oxidated easily,but one problem is they mass produced,so it becomes a commodity and price start dropping/

Japanese ones demand a higher price for the fact they are made in Japan and rarer .

But recently the Chinese factories are no longer state owned,and profit is the key,they are not going to waste their time making one or 7 or ten small and medium pieces for you,for a small piece,they are raising minimum volume,say 400 per style.

Larger ones of course minimum quantity is much lower,but gone are the days when a wholesaler/retailer walks in and said give me 5 of these,3 of that and 11 of those.

Good to hear the auction went well,it has to do with the low interest enviroment,money in the bank earn you no interest,grab these pioeces ,and hope they wil appreciate   .

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

What are those fish on the dirt?

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Not sure about this.  I was told by an antique dealer one time that marking was not required prior to a certain point and sometimes was not made if the itme was going to remain within the country, at later times, and therefore, those without a mark would be older and potetntially more valuable. 

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

you are responding to a thread that is 3 years old and essentially dead.  as for your other point. only in some cases does time affect how markings are done.  brand new imports can be unmarked or marked with stickers that are removed, and the whole "made in..." time rule is a poor indication of age.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply