cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloisonne Old or New how do you tell ?

I have done some research but have not been able to figure out any tell tell signs. I usually don't deal with stuff like that much, so I was hoping someone here had some insight on it. An the reason I ask there's an estate sale this weekend that has a bunch but I don't know enough about it to know which items would be good for resale. I would like to post a link for the pictures. But I am not sure is the pinks allow that any more. TIA DeAnne

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Cloisonne Old or New how do you tell ?

Okay I read every rule about posting links, and I think it's fine because it just shows a bunch of pictures not advertising anything thing.

https://plus.google.com/photos/113752867345928861936/albums/6034142982060259505

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

The marking would tell the tale without them it's a waste of time, noritake , gorman , but on the other hand if there is only the one of each then it's pretty well worth not much

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNVM CANTABO AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

I am not talking about the China I am asking about the Cloisonne. 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Just looking in cause I want to learn Asian atiques too, but I would look at the maker of the dresser? 8 rows down on the right.  The right piece of mid century funiture can bring lots.  It looks like a good piece.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Did you try perusing the idcloisonne site?  They give information on telling what time period a piece of cloisonne is plus pictures of marks.  They also tell you how to tell the difference between chinese and japanese cloisonne.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

I'm not an expert on cloisonne so I carry a page with marks and values. (Tie.Dye's idcloisonne suggestion is excellent for marks.) BTW, the black chair is an Ekornes...I'd be all over that!

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Missed that Crowleys

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Thanks you guys I will try that site. I am going to have to send my DH tomorrow because my Mother in law is having one of her weeks. WOW it's trying. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

There are Chinese and JAPANESE and French cloisonee.

If you see a bunch of them in an estate sale,they are probably Chinese.

Older pieces the color is not so vibrant,they are also exposed to moisture,so you would see oxidation.

The larger pieces are worth something,small pieces/no .

show some pictures

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Not too many piece of cloisonne,I see some Japanese porcelain. 

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

I thought I saw about thirty pieces, which seems a lot to me. Including what appears to be a plique a jour cup. I usually stay away from oriental stuff, but I'd be tempted to grab a few pieces at the right price.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Well I managed to talk my son in to sitting with nanny for an hour to get to the sale and boy that was a waste of time. I really don't know any thing about oriental antiques but I guess I should learn. The cloisonne was priced ant where from $85 to $1,000 and the craziest thing is some guy from fresno showed and bought every piece of it. The painted stuff the cheapest was $ 60 up to $800 and people were buying that too. That little tea pot or saki pot showen in the picture was about 2.5 in tall sold for $185 and a 6 in. vase sold for $395 after I saw that it was time to go. OH and the chair $695. I guess the economy hasn't hurt some people.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Whoa....Just proves the ol' saying  "More dollars than sense"

Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum
Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.

Don

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@deannedavidddt wrote:

Well I managed to talk my son in to sitting with nanny for an hour to get to the sale and boy that was a waste of time. I really don't know any thing about oriental antiques but I guess I should learn. The cloisonne was priced ant where from $85 to $1,000 and the craziest thing is some guy from fresno showed and bought every piece of it.

I was a little late to this discussion, but this is the type of sale where I would love to the the first in line to and shut the door behind me saying to the Estate sellers "I'll take it all". The whole house.

There are several levels for chinese and Japanese cloisonne, age is one factor, but quality is the better factor as this is a craft more than an "art". so a top notch piece made in 1950 (like these) is worth much more than a middle of the road piece made in 1895.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply