cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidental refund

Hi I wanted to give a partial refund and accidentally gave a full refund as automatic refunds were set up, so the buyer got $325 back instead of $40. Ebay have washed their hands of this and are now relying on the buyer to give me the money back. I would love any advice you can give me, I also want to remove automatic refunds form my site,, how do I do this? Thanks n

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Accidental refund

One does have to be careful when issuing any sort of refund because they are not reversible. If it were not this way then sellers who didn't want to refund a buyer would create the refund, get the notice that a refund was sent to 'prove' it, then turn around and reverse it to keep the money.  There is nothing for eBay to do in this case as the buyer was fully refunded. 

I had this happen to me once and I immediately sent a message to the buyer explaining what occurred. Luckily that buyer was understanding and agreed to pay me once more. I then sent an invoice via PayPal for the correct amount, which they paid. So, I wasn't out anything and buyer received their item.

You can do this, but you will need to reach out quickly to your buyer and explain in detail what happened. Don't play the blame game against eBay or anyone, just own up to this being your error and hopefully your buyer will be understanding. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 2
latest reply