cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any ID appreciated ~ marked pewter handled salt and pepper

any ID  ~?       5 inch  tall  marked  pewter   .......  handled  salt  and  pepper

circa......  maker    ...how  to restore  shine  like  on bottom of one of the   shakers..almost  looks  like  polished  silver on the bottom

thanks  all

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

What are the letters? SFG? SPG?

You can google "pewter makers marks" and should get a directory of marks. You might have to check British/Irish marks as well, if no luck with America/Canada.

http://www.pewtersociety.org/identify/pewterers-marks ... they offer a free identifying service but NOT to facilitate a sale... I guess it is a collectors site.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

thanks  for the  info...i'll look  there...here is a clear  photo......i  guess  its  S  P   Co.     ?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

still trying  to find  this  maker  ...any info ?...looked  on  alot of  sites...can't find  this

thanks   for any  help....

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Hi there...very frustrating I agree.... I decided to was "S" pewter Co. and googled that... I got "Salisbury "Pewter Company in Maryland. You could try that? they look vintage, dont know how long this company has been in business.

I found this book as well... also the Pewter Society will identify the piece for you. They do it free. I think I already mentioned that...

Pewter In America; Its Makers and Their Marks Ledly I. Laughlin, Barre Publishers, Barre, Massachusetts, 1981, ISBN 0 517 350637. Three volumes in-one.

Your local library may have it?

Good luck, I will get back here if I find anything else.... also let me know when you solve the mystery! 🙂

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Restoring the shine is easy. Pewter has silver in it. Take silver polish and polish them! I even use silver polish on my ss kitchen sink. Does a beautiful job. I do have a pair of salt & pepper shakers like these at home and they are about 25 years old.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply