cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNKNOWN VINTAGE ITEM. DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS

I HAVE A UNKNOWN ITEM AND I DO NOT HAVE A NAME FOR THIS.  DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS WAS USED FOR.  MAYBE A VINTAGE FARMERS OR BLACKSMITH ITEM.

THIS MEASURES 22 AND ONE-HALF IN. LONG. AND 4 AND ONE-HALF IN.  W. FRONT HAS 7  RUSTY RAISED  EDGES AND THERE IS IS A INDENT INBETWEEN EACH. HAS WOOD BOTTOM. HELD IN PLACE WITH EIGHT NAILS AND A HOLE ON TOP TO HANG IT UP.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS.   PLEASE GIVE ME A IDEA WHAT THIS WAS USED FOR.

THANKS      CAMPERJEAN400

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: UNKNOWN VINTAGE ITEM. DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS

Maby a rug beater?

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

THANKS FOR THE INQUIRY ACCORDING TO THE WAY THAT THIS LOOKS I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS IS A RUG BEATER AS IS TOO HEAVY
FOR THAT.
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the corrgeated part made of cast iron by chance?

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I'm wondering if it might be a mold of some sort based on the grooved surface. I think I've seen old pharmacist's equipment that looks like this (but smaller in size) which was used for making pills, but this might have a completely different purpose.

Just a guess.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Look at the antique Crimping irons and fluting machines
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Hi - showed this to my husband, who grew up on a farm because it looked like something from a barn - he said he thinks it's some sort of press - that over on the right where those two nails are, he thinks a top piece was attached at one time & something was pressed between the two pieces. It apparently rings a bell with him, but he said he just can't place it, other than that's it's the bottom part of a press. If he is able to remember, I'll let you know. Good luck!

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

The side opposite the handle looks like it has two newer screws.
Is there any remnant of a hinge there?
I'm thinking it may be a one-half-of.....
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Thanks to everone who is sending me info about this item. I wish that I did know and all the others I have contacted do not have a idea either. Surely there should be someone who might have the solution.  Also, then comes the actual price of what this could be so I am happy that there are some who have

some insight.   Thanks again to eeryone.  I will keep it posted for a few days  Thanks again

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Maybe a section of an antique hand corn planter?

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Boy, still no definite answer on this one - I think if I had something like that & just couldn't identify it, I would probably post it as a vintage tool or implement, put on lots of pictures, use words like tool, implement, antiquated, farm, hand tool, vintage, etc., as key words in the title & just put in on auction. I have had a few items over the years that I just could not determine a value on - I picked a fairly good figure & put them on auction & just kept relisting as an auction item with slightly lower prices each time. That way it gives someone who might know what it is the chance to see it & if it's worth anything, people who know what it is will bid if it has any value.  That has worked a few times & other times I have concluded that it just has no value. Good luck!

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. I WAS READING YOUR SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT I SHOULD DO. I WILL LIST IT AS A AUCTION AND SEE WHERE THIS GOES FROM HERE. THIS IS A UNUSUAL ITEM AND MAYBE WE WILL NEVER FIND OUT WHAT THIS WAS USED FOR. MAYBE SOMEONES ELDERLY PARENT WILL REMEMBER THIS AND WHO KNOWS., I WILL POST WHEN I GET A ANSWER THANK YOU
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I've owned & sold similar items***I'm not a expert, but this could be a kitchen-bakers item***Used to press the lines and grooves into rolled out dough*****

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

I think it might be an antique gnocchi board. Google the phrase "gnocchi board" and check out the pictures!

Message 15 of 26
latest reply