cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help w/ID For Possible Indian Basket

hi everyone.  i'm hoping this is the right forum to post this item.  i found this today.  obviously, i'm no expert, but i'm hoping someone out there can help me identify this basket.  it stands 5.5 inches in height.  i'm trying to determine if its an authentic indian basket and, if possible, what tribe?  any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It looks like a simple Makah (N.W.Coast) basket style, but I could be wrong. Best thing to do is research different styles and try to narrow it down. Some Museums are happy to help.... the Burke Museum in Seattle might offer an opinion, no harm in asking 🙂

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

thank you.  i wasn't familiar with the term "makah."  i was looking at some other examples.  i think that might be it.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

It is a twined basket, like Makah baskets, but it isn't Makah.  The Makah use cedar and beargrass, and this isn't made from cedar.  A Makah basket also will have a plaited (checkerboard-like) start, and this is made with a circular start.

The material used is the first clue to identification, and then the construction technique.  The way this is simply cut off at the top, indicates that is was probably not made for actual use, or in a traditional way.  An authentic Indian basket would have a finished rim, that wouldn't unravel with use.

You have nice, clear photos, but I still can't determine what the material is...only what it isn't.  And the combination of material, construction technique, and form, doesn't appear to be anything used by traditional Native American basket makers.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

hmm.  yes, i'd noticed those details.  also, the design is very simple or spartan.  i found it in a thrift store for $1.99.  i thought it was worth looking into.  it also occurred to me that it could be African.  anyway, thank your for your insight.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply