cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Such an intersting very vintage ring! Art Deco? Tirbal Head ? How should this be described?

I've had this for many years....it is marked inside the band "silver."

How should I describe this piece? I will start the discussions......vintage silver ring......

Thank you in advance for any and all information that helps me with my mystery.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Such an interesting very vintage ring! Art Deco? Tribal Head ? How should this be described?

Looks like Mexican Silver carved Green Onyx Aztec tribal mask.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: Such an interesting very vintage ring! Art Deco? Tribal Head ? How should this be described?

Thank you!!!! Have yourself a fabulous day!
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

That's what it is.  Never seen one used in a ring before.  It should be marked, as Mexican silver is.

Debora 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Art Deco? No! This is a typical Aztec tribal mask carved from green onyx or jade. The silver may be anywhere from .900-.950 (sterling standard  is .925, or 925/1000 parts silver). Since your ring is marked only "SILVER", it predates Mexico's eagle system of hallmarks, which was instituted in 1948, and was probably made sometime between the early 1920s and the late 1940s. In addition, the silver content is probably higher than .925 (sterling).

If you do a keyword search for "aztec mask ring silver mexico" (without quotation marks), you will see quite a few rings with this traditional motif. Aztec masks are also used in bracelets and earrings. They were very popular with tourists back in the early 20th century, at which time they were considered pretty exotic.

Not terribly valuable today (check sold prices), but a very cool vintage accessory.

Have a great eBay day,

acquisator
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Rings, bracelets, and earrings featuring carved Aztec masks (usually in green onyx or jade, although other stones such as black onyx and jasper also were used) were produced in large quantities by Mexican silversmiths in the early years of the 20th century, largely for the burgeoning tourist trade. 

Have a great eBay day,

acquisator
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Oh my aren’t you full of fascinating information!  Thank you so much for enlightening me!!!  I truly appreciate it!  Have a fabulous day!!!!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Again I thank you for your detailed information!
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You are most welcome! We have handled a lot of Mexican silver over the years. The definitive resource for this is "The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade and Hallmarks".

Have a great eBay day,

acquisator
Message 9 of 9
latest reply