cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iceland Vegvísir Pendant maker

Hoping some one can help with these beauties.  Two sterling silver Vegvísir pendants from Iceland.  So far I've been able to find out that a Vegvísir is an Icelandic magical stave intended to help the bearer find his or her way through rough weather.  Having a tough time with the maker's marks (both have the same), looks kinda like EB, but maybe someone see something else.  Any idea as to maker?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Iceland Vegvísir Pendant maker

I've often seen the one on the right called the Helm of Awe.

Lea
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

BTW, what indications are there that these are Icelandic? I ask because I'm surprised there's no 'S' after the '925'.

Lea
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I think I see a Jo or a Jb in the mark.  Just a guess.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Attached is a picture of the stamps on the other pendant (both with the same maker's mark).  The image is definitely Icelandic, a LOT of research confirmed that, just not sure if the MAKER is Icelandic.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

BTW, 830 grade silver is not sterling, although it is a solid silver alloy.  Only silver with a purity of 925 or higher can be called silver.

The design is definitely Nordic, not just Icelandic.  The 's' after the 830 would also strongly suggest that these were made in Scandinavia.

Lea
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@elvyyu wrote:

BTW, 830 grade silver is not sterling, although it is a solid silver alloy.  Only silver with a purity of 925 or higher can be called silver.

elvyyu, I believe I know what you mean in the second sentence above, but I would change the last word of the sentence -  from "silver" to "sterling" - to be more precise. I think any silver alloy can be called "silver" when referring to its color, but it must have a silver metal content of at least .925 to be called "sterling".

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

OMG, can I please borrow your brain?  Of course I meant the last word there to be 'sterling', and thank you for catching that.  It really doesn't make any sense the way I wrote it, lol!

I wish ebay didn't allow just 'silver' to be used as a colour, as opposed to adding '-tone'  or something similar to it.

Lea
Message 8 of 8
latest reply