cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting started selling

Sure would appreciate, if possible any and all to help explain what a new member must do, and in what order, to have one's VERY FIRST AUCTION. Browsing files, inserting photos,at what location(s), and on and on. I just placed my very first piece of art on auction today in both e-bay (art category - self-represented) AND in an Aceo listing. I am thrilled but overwhelmed. Lots of feeling my way in the dark...a slow way to learn...many things I did this time I will not do a second time. Do I hear people nodding yes? jane1234art
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

getting started selling

4355ttt
Adventurer
Hi jane1234art, great aceo! I would put aceo in the title, are all 6 2.5 x 3.5? If you didn't want to sell them seperately, you could put the word lot in the title also. I would also up the price a little, you might be losing money in the end even if this auctions sells. just a few ideas. good luck! Terri
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

Terri: Yes, all are Aceo qualifying size. I am not sure how to change the titles of those additional pieces in the gallery. I did,however, go back and included ACEO in the title of my feature piece that now reads: Aceo Creek Culvert. I also changed the commentary to include the fact that some of the extra work pictured is computer art, and some includes shrinky dink to create layers. Thank you for bothering to correspond and help. Probably when all is said and done I will be able to compose and compile a "how to" for new-comers myself.(at least I hope so) jane1234art
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

Hi, Jane! I really like your work, but, I really feel you need to go back in and revise your listing. 1. the title should be a list of keywords that people will use to find your art, such as ex: LANDSCAPE original aceo bridge art by Jane or whatever you like, but, make the best possible use of each available character in the title by using only common search words. Not sure what is being used, research by playing buyer and see what you pull up using differant search words. There are also program available that will list common search words for you, not sure of thier names, but others here can help, I'm sure. 2. I found all the other artwork photos confusing. Is this listing for all of them or only the first? Be dumb/simple with your listings and make it VERY clear what the buyer is bidding on. If those are just samples of previous work, then you must make that very clear! 3. Use the discription section to talk about your work! List the title, medium, ground, any pertinent info such as what information is written on the front and/or back, any special process you might use, quality of materials, ect. Also, this is where you 'sell' your work! Say something about it, your inpiration, or mood, or anything about this work. 4. I forgot what you listed at, but, I highly recommend listing your work at a fair and reasonable price that you can live with. You won't always get 'bidding wars' on your work to drive the price up, so start your bidding at the lowest price you would be happy to recieve for it. Good luck!
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

katat0nik
Enthusiast
Great advice Kerry! Jane I agree with everything that kerryoriginals said. Add as much info to your "Item Description" as possible, so it is very clear what the buyer is bidding on. This will avoid any problems after the auction ends. :) Jane
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

Thanks Jane! We live and learn, or, quit eBaying, LOL!
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

jeanze
Enthusiast
Jane, I think Kerry covered the major bases, but wanted to drop a quick note to applaud your beautiful art! Jeanze
Jeanne

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

Boy, are you gonna love this! My girlfriend calls me and says: "You've got a problem with your e-bay auction site!" She told me I had mistakenly offered a total of 6 illustrations as ONE ITEM! No--that's gotta be wrong. I displayed ONE ITEM my Aceo Creek Culvert! All the other photos were to display additional artwork I have available. She says that may have been what I believed I had done but I was actually selling 6 pieces of art work at $ .29 each. I about dropped my teeth! Long story short: I had to go to "my e-bay". Scroll down to "Items I'm Selling". Click on "revise", and then go to "gallery" and "Edit". That took me to where all my photos were originally chosen. I deleted all but the Culvert picture. My friend says I must list EACH PHOTOGRAPH as a seperate item for sale. I will still be responsible for the cost of each photo as per the original sale. This was a nightmare resulting from inexperience. But probably, as they say, a mistake I will not make again. KERRYORIGINALS was on her toes. She knew the other photos were confusing. Thanks to everyone who is contributing to this discussion. This is priceless information. jane1234(still got my)art (heh-heh)
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

Looking back over the correspondence Terri too knew the photos were a "lot" of 6. I didn't get it then. I sure get it now. Thanks Terri. jane
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

Well, I got some good news and I got some bad news. Good news is: I will no doubt re-submit a piece of aceo artwork on the e-bay auction block. The bad news is: I tried and tried and tried to delete the 5 additional photos that shared an auction space with my Aceo Creek Culvert piece. I couldn't remove it because I had requested the photos be put into a slide program offered at the site. A slide show requires 3 or more photos so they kept putting the photos back in the site. I finally, and reluctantly, asked them to "remove my auction IMMEDIATELY!" And I think they did so. What a learning experience. Heh, heh "I'LL BE BACH!"
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

Jane...we've all been there with our first auctions! It can seem so overwhelming to begin with! It is a learning process, but you are in a good spot to get loads of advice from people who know what it's like to be where you are... Especially if you are new with just a few feedbacks, the more info you have the better it is for you. Seasoned buyers don't like to have to guess about things. I bring this up only because I don't see what your shipping charges are. There are buyers who have been ripped off by not knowing the shipping charges before they made a bid and ended up learning that they were outrageous after the fact. I'm not saying that yours would be, I'm just saying that not having it in writing can keep a potential bidder from bidding. One other thing you may want to think about...you've listed under contemporary art drawings...you may want to consider listing under the self representing artist category instead (or as well). I personally have had better luck with that category:). Your drawings are very good...don't give up! Cyndi
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

Cyndi, thank you for your insight. As yet I am not discouraged and cheerfully welcome any advise. I didn't understand how to choose a shipping rate. I chose: Flat rate: US Postal Service Parcel Post 2-9 days. I have a piece in mixed media also #7419334826. This item has a bid and I was asked if I would ship to the Netherlands. And of course, I am willing. In my response, I tried not to say: "Oh I've never done this before." and conduct myself like I know what I'm doing. Is there a chance in shipping to the Netherlands (considering my undefined shipping charges) that I could be taken advantage of by a buyer? I plan to put additional Aceo pieces in auction today. I will put some in Self-Represented. If you tell me how shipping should be defined I will make the necessary changes where I am able. Do you ship Worldwide? I would like to (I never want to make my work inaccessible)but I felt as a "beginner" I should keep things simple (as a wise Aceo sage once said). respondez vous.(that's the only French I know) jane1234art
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

4355ttt
Adventurer
Hi Jane, yes, those 3 auctions are looking much better! I see one sold! Yeah! I don't see any clear shipping charges though. If you are going to be printing your own labels through paypal, I thought I might share my experience on that - I charge $1 for US shipping. That's the .87 it charges for a 3 oz. pkg. + .14 for delivery confirmation. That comes up to 1.01. so I under charge by 1 cent. On shipping to Europe, I found that the postal services in the building of the listing told me it would be $4.10. When I actually brought it to the post office along with the filled out customs form, they gave me a choice of $1.70 or one for over $5.00. I am not sending overseas anymore. kind of a hassle for me, but a lot of people do it. Another suggestion, the sub titles cost .50 I believe, some of those words could be placed in the actual title, plus, the subtitle words don't get searched when someone is searching for something original, just the title does. Great start though, you'll get it to the point your comfortable with listing them soon, then all you'll have to do is 'sell similar' and just change a few things. I'll stop yapping for now, Terri 🙂
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

Jane...you can click revise your listing and go to revise (edit) shipping,then you can put a dollar amount in. I have shipped to Canada, France, Belgium and UK with no problems. ACEO's going overseas I charge 1.50, but they go in a regular envelope supported by heavyweight cardboard. I have mailed some bigger pieces that I've sent global priority that I charged 6.00 for...with the consent of the buyer. You will encounter buyers that you may not be sure about dealing with. I usually try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt...I figure if they do me wrong, I can put them on my blocked bidder list to avoid having to deal with them again. My overseas customers have been wonderful and I am glad that I took a chance to begin with. I remember starting out and realizing that people took a chance on me, so I try really hard to do the same for others... Ditto on what Terri said about the subtitles. Try to pack your title with essential keywords as that is tied into the search system...use the subtitle if you feel there is something you need to say or for the title of your piece. Congrats on your bids!! Cyndi
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

getting started selling

Thanks to Cyndi and Terri for input and wisdom. Does e-bay or Aceo Enthusiasts publish a virtual catalogue of art work currently on auction exhibit and their direct locations?? I mean let's face it...it's an auction but it is also an EXHIBIT of one's work, AND is primarily sprinkled throughtout the auction catagories,which are vast. Does e-bay offer such a resource? jl
Message 15 of 21
latest reply