cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIP: Sketchbook/Journals - art ideas aplenty!

I did this a while ago for classes I teach. As many people want to do these journals, but not too keen on doing too much art, I teach how to use parts of photos - to cut them up to isolate specific parts - great for photos that aren't 'perfect', and use them as part of the process of telling their stories. Using curved scissors to cut around some parts - pasting it on your journal page, and then 'extend' the photo with ink drawing - but doing it decoratively - perhaps adding creatures, flowers, leaves, food, or whatever. Painting lightly with watercolors in this case, or colored pencils, or crayons - no rules - it's YOUR work. Then you write your story ... I haven't rubbed out the pencil lines, but I think you get the idea... Journals can be fully hand-drawn of course, but in a sketchy style, to really show that it's about life and living, and NOT something that is supposed to be statically framed! You do them on whim. You can do them 'plein air'. Hope this has inspired you. I will try to add more when I get more time. ~Jillian
~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

mistykinz
Enthusiast
WOW great IDEA!!!
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Good grief, you don't want to see my mess. Not tidy like yours J. hhhahha That's if I do any. ]:)
I want to be Johnny Depps Cat ~^..^~
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

katat0nik
Enthusiast
That is so cool!:D They need a clapping smiley on here:)
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

very nice- we did a similar activity with magazine photos in a still-life art class in college-take out sections of the picture and fill in with drawings of "what's missing" or make new scenes altogether-thanks for jogging the memories! i have to get my old folders out now... Melanie
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

🙂
~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

ooooh! That's wonderful!
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

brown*bee*studio
Enthusiast
Jillian, Hearst Publications used to have a magazine called "Victoria". It is no longer published, but there was a page dedicated to reader's letters. Many readers 'journaled' their letters very much like the technique you mentioned as being totally drawn or painted. Some sent pics of their different types of journal pages...gardening journals, travel journals, etc. Still others collaged and altered their letters and journals. It was such an inspiration to "see" what the writer talked about in her letters! I'm not much of a sketch artist or painter, but I do admire the concept. 🙂 Thank you for this interesting take on journaling. I might give it a try....lol Andie
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Oh Andie, for many, many years that has been my very favourite magazine! I am well familiar with the journaled sketches in there. I heard only this year that it was no longer published, and hoped it wasn't true! I like to think that this might inspire you. When I teach it, and my students 'get it', they fall in love with it. :) As an artist it gives you so much freedom. You can go places you possibly wouldn't. :) ~Jillian
~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

brown*bee*studio
Enthusiast
Hearst stopped publication of Victoria in 2005. It was my very favorite too and there's NOTHING being published now that even comes close!! I even have several hardback books by the editors of Victoria: a few Christmas themed and "The Business of Bliss" as well as "Turning Your Passion Into Profit". I also had "Calling Cards" but it was inside a tote that was stolen from my car. As for going places I possibly wouldn't, I like to think I do that every day...I just can't get what's in my mind to come out through my hands! lol ;) Andie
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

There never was anything that came close to it. It was so inspirational for women - often showing how women could succeed with things that might usually be 'cottage-crafts'. Maybe I can start something like it. I used to work for a magazine publication company in Australia, and we had all copies of Victoria - for inspiration, and I'd often thumb through them, though had a small collection of my own copies. As you say, things like 'Turning Your Passion Into Profit' were very uplifting. I always clipped the Calling Card section out, and have a lot of pages here still. I'm sorry yours was stolen. Oh my! I SO relate - what's in my head does not come out onto my paper. 🙂 I have too many ideas. To say I have thousands is NOT an exageration! Thanks for letting me know, I had heard that, but didn't check as I didn't want it to be true. :( ~Jillian
~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

brown*bee*studio
Enthusiast
I found several of my collection in second hand book shops for as little as a quarter apiece! I scoop them up whenever I find one I don't have. Shoot it wouldn't matter if I DID already have a particular month/year edition, I'd probably buy it anyway! 🙂 I bet you could find them in your second hand book shops too. I could replace the "Calling Cards" hardback...I guess I just never got around to it. That section in the magazine was also one of my favorites! It would be fabulous if you decide to publish a magazine similar to it. I know you'd have a loyal subscriber here! :) Andie
Message 12 of 12
latest reply