cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sponsored links appearing on my listings hurt my sales

I am interested in getting opinions from other sellers...........  Ebay is adding sponsored links to my listings.  At times, the sponsored links are advertising the same item that I'm selling, only at a LESSER Price!! Why would a bidder buy my item when Ebay is showing them where they can buy it at a better price???? I feel this is very detrimental to sellers.  Please let me know how you feel about this. Thank You

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: sponsored links appearing on my listings hurt my sales

Yeah who knows, maybe your prices are too high.

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

I AGREE 100%!!!!  It's WRONG!!  Same thing is happening to me.  I don't have proof that it hurts my sales either (how COULD i, unless i was a psychic??) but one thing is guaranteed -- it certainly doesn't HELP my sales!!  BAD idea by eBay.

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

No, now please, enough.

Come on, you're complaining that someone else is selling the same thing(s) you are, cheaper?

Give me a break.

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

Hi, runnergirl - Like you, I would prefer that this didn't happen, but I think they are here to stay.  Sponsored links are really no different than reading a page in the newspaper with several adds by different companies for the same item.  Your price needs to be competitive with your competition!

On the "up side", most of these adds are found at the bottom of the page, and considering that so few potential buyers read the complete listing, I am not sure how many of them even see the adds.  In addition, you may want to change your site preferences to "opt out of cross promotions".  I have read that this will eliminate the adds, but I have never tried it.

I'm sorry, but they really aren't. Sears ads aren't 'embedded' in Target sales flyers (that Target paid for.) The newspaper ad analogy might be somewhat valid for the sort/search results, but not for the 'storefront space' that sellers rent from Ebay. Sellers shouldn't be compelled to (freely) promote other sellers in their own sales space, nor should they be coerced into 'price matching' there either. Their prices may very reflect their quality of goods, superior customer service, and general lack of skeevyness. If a buyer wants to comparison shop, that's what the "Price + shipping" sort function is for.

@multimedea_media wrote:

@hidy-hoo wrote:

Hi, runnergirl - Like you, I would prefer that this didn't happen, but I think they are here to stay.  Sponsored links are really no different than reading a page in the newspaper with several adds by different companies for the same item.  Your price needs to be competitive with your competition!

On the "up side", most of these adds are found at the bottom of the page, and considering that so few potential buyers read the complete listing, I am not sure how many of them even see the adds.  In addition, you may want to change your site preferences to "opt out of cross promotions".  I have read that this will eliminate the adds, but I have never tried it.

I'm sorry, but they really aren't. Sears ads aren't 'embedded' in Target sales flyers (that Target paid for.) The newspaper ad analogy might be somewhat valid for the sort/search results, but not for the 'storefront space' that sellers rent from Ebay. Sellers shouldn't be compelled to (freely) promote other sellers in their own sales space, nor should they be coerced into 'price matching' there either. Their prices may very reflect their quality of goods, superior customer service, and general lack of skeevyness. If a buyer wants to comparison shop, that's what the "Price + shipping" sort function is for.

Hi, multimedea - Please notice that I said "I would prefer that this didn't happen" ~ but it did happen, and continues to happen!  The whole point of this board is to help part time sellers sell more effectively within the parameters that eBay has in place, rather we agree with them or not.

Technically, I believe that eBay may consider the area under the listing, the space that follows "Ask a Question" to be their property.  While extremely annoying, it is certainly better than the placement of competitors adds on Amazon.  I just checked an item for sale, which included 8 pages of a scrolling <line> of similar widgets by other sellers.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 20 of 38
latest reply

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

old_man_arthur wrote"

Common sense...

If I am looking for a widget (tool) to pull the pedal crank arm off of a bicycle (I was)...

And the one that I am looking at is $10, but there is an a similar tool for $5.39 (there was)...

I will buy the cheaper item. (I did)

If OP is selling woman's pants for $X...

and there is an ad for the same pants for $5 less...

What would you think would happen?"

YEAH I just Noticed the ads and for the same item I'm selling. Hard to compete with Wal-mart selling the identical item on sale. Common sense is the key word. If you see it cheaper else where, most will go else where and buy, regardless of the seller's feedback and how pretty they make the item look.

It's all about GREED with ebay anymore. Sure we all would like to make as much as possible, but competing with big box stores for the same item will not work. TRY CRAIGSLIST FOR SELLING LOCAL WITHOUT ALL THE FEES AND FREE ADVERTISEMENTS THAT EBAY IS GETTING PAID FOR BY PIGGYBACKING ADS ON YOUR ITEM PAGE. And remember you can also sell items just like on ebay through AMAZON and pay lower fees, but still with identical items being displayed.

Advertising for other sites that have competing services or items such as CRAIGSLIST (free to post and sell) or AMAZON MARKETPLACE(not free but lower fees on some catagories, and lower shipping costs due to larger volume through AMAZON MARKETPLACE), just wouldn't seem right!

In short I agree with runnergirl1964 and that is only my opinion, but I will not repeat this again to try to convince myself like others; right pantlandia?

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

-I totally agree that these sponsored links have hurt my sales.  I have had someone tell me that - why would you sell your item for more than the link -listing items for sale on ebay does take some work and now extended research and seeing the links on the bottom of the page selling the same item at a lower price.  revisions will take place and if I can lower it and still make money then I will.  If i dont lower the price to the competetors than i lose the chance of making the sale possibly to break even or lose money - this is not a win win situation.  We pay fees to list and sell.  We should have the right to chose weither or not to have these links on our pages.  I AM PROTESTING

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

I agree, By the time someone clicks on one of my items to see my listing, there's no excuse for eBay to show other items in competition with mine.

——————————————o00o——°(_)°——o00o————————————————

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

How exactly will you be protesting?

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

Runner Girl,  I have noticed that the sponsor links are now before (instead of at the bottom) of my photo and description... so interested potential buyers use to see my listing first, now instead have  got to scroll down past the sponsored links to get to mine detouring people from MY LISTING!!   I was told that President Trump signed an order when he first came into office allowing business's to sell their products on amazon sales, ebay sales, and other sites and it would hurt sellers.. I have noticed a decline in my sales, and it has definitely hurt my business with lot's more of my items being unsold... UGGGGG

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

@laneycurves wrote:

Runner Girl,  I have noticed that the sponsor links are now before (instead of at the bottom) of my photo and description... so interested potential buyers use to see my listing first, now instead have  got to scroll down past the sponsored links to get to mine detouring people from MY LISTING!!   I was told that President Trump signed an order when he first came into office allowing business's to sell their products on amazon sales, ebay sales, and other sites and it would hurt sellers.. I have noticed a decline in my sales, and it has definitely hurt my business with lot's more of my items being unsold... UGGGGG

@laneycurves

Hi and welcome to the A Part Time Sellers Group.

This thread is from 2013. Zombie

Sponsered links's have been around for awhile now. I believe they are going away.

They have promoted listings that will take their place, meaning the persons that pay eBay will be shown. 

Please don't quote me on that, because I may have interpreted it incorrectly and I'm tired 😴 😀

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 27 of 38
latest reply

I totally agreemail. Remember they make money off every click on a banner ad. We pay for our listings and stores. If they want banner ads put them elsewhere not on our listings. I do believe ebay wants the little guy off ebay.

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

@jentzie  As of May 1, eBay will no longer be featuring third party listing ads!

In addition, third-party product listing ads will be removed across the eBay platform on May 1 to help boost the visibility of your promoted listings.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/2017-Spring-Seller-Update-Reminder/ba-p/26819547

As for eBay competitors ads, you can opt out of "cross promotion" in your My eBay preferences, which may reduce the number of the same or similar type of widget listingas yours from being shown.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 29 of 38
latest reply

I agree Ebay attaches those links on my listings also. **bleep**
Look's like most of these respondents work for Ebay. Sad
Message 30 of 38
latest reply