cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer wants partial refund

Buyer contacted me today and informed me one of the two mugs I sent was not as described and had a chip in the inside rim. I shipped mugs 26 days ago. I said my return policy required mugs to be shipped back within 14 days but I would accept them but he needed to send them back now. He replied he was in another country and a shipper sent him these mugs and he did not want to send back but thought I should refund him half of purchase price.  I do not sell internationally and I thought I was selling to someone in Cal.  How do I handle this? TY

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: buyer wants partial refund

Did they send you pictures?  Ask for pictures first, and go from there.  If they open a "not as described" claim you WILL be forced to refund, but I've also had buyers try to use partial refund as a discount on their price they paid.  Where is your buyer located?  It says you ship to the US, Bermuda, Mexico, and Canada.  Is your buyer located in one of those countries?  If not, how did they pay?  You can set your paypal account to refuse to accept payment from buyers whose home currency is not the currency in your country.  This will stop pretty much all international buyers in their tracks, even if they try to go around your shipping locations in your listing. 

If they don't have a fit, I would try to stick to my return policy and ask for a return for full refund.  You might just get them back and find out there's no damage to them at all.  How do they get a chip on the INSIDE rim during shipping?  Is it possible that you missed it?  My best guess is yes, it's possible, but it's not very likely that you missed it, since you described the small flaw (straw mark) in the bottom of the mug.... this is assuming we're talking about the Fire King mugs you sold.  I don't see how the inside rim could get damaged but no damage anywhere else.  Might want to wait for someone with more international shipping experience to chime in here, just to be safe.  Stuff like this is why I stopped selling internationally.  It's REALLY frustrating when you run into an issue, and eBay's policies on returns REALLY put you at a disadvantage when a questionable claim like this happens.

Jon

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for your advice. Buyer has now told me in separate messages there was one chip, then 2 chips and yesterday said there is a crack in cup rim. They just say they are from another country but won't say where. I shipped package to California and then a shipper forwarded to buyer in another country. I had no idea it was going to another country. Buyer also messaged me he purchased cups for resale and he did not want to send cup back he just wanted partial refund. The whole thing smells like bad fish!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Were as the advice given is correct:  the designation was to a shipping company, not the user.

Do you know wich one??

Once accepted by a shipping company the purchaser  pays to forward the item, it is their problem.

The return cost to the purchaser using this method, would cost them more than they would like; due to your shipping cost was only in country.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply