cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling for others

Hi,

I asked this question last week and I can't find the answers I was given, so I'll ask again..... My daughter inherited some items and asked me to sell them for her with a 60-40 split, the 60 being hers. I don't know why I can't figure it out, but my head spins when I think about it. If an item sells for $10, and if the $10 is my income and $6 is her portion,   also being my COGS , then do I come up with a loss on every item since i only have $4 left? Thank you

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Selling for others

Yes because of selling fees that “$4” will be practically nothing. Fees are calculating based on price of item+shipping+taxes+.30 fvf and any extras like promoted listings if applicable. Most categories are 12.9% but others could be more or less. Also be aware that selling on your account would make you solely liable for IRS reporting and tax liability (if there is any).

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If you choose 60/40 thats a good ration, BUT, it should be after expenses.  In others words, you sell the item. You subtract the ebay fees and shipping cost, and then what's left you split 60/40

It won't work out on small dollar items, so you if you have a lot of them you may want to consider selling items in lots.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank You!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply