cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fees Are Pure Greed

If  you go to the e-bay fee calculator that shows current fees compared to the new fees staring April 16th it pretty shocking for the amateur hobbyist guitar-seller.  If you don't have an e-bay store (because you don't sell that much) and are just a small hobby seller the new fee structure will put a total end to selling high end guitars on e-bay. For example if you sell a $3,000 guitar in a fixed price listing that cost $65 to ship, the current fee is $104.30. The new fee starting April 16th is $250. That's an extra $145.70. Wow! I remember a couple years ago it only cost $50 to sell a high end guitar. I'm sorry but these new fees are nothing more than total greed anyway you slice it.  Shame on you e-bay.  Why are you so greedy? X-(

Message 1 of 133
latest reply
132 REPLIES 132

Re: New Fees Are Pure Greed

"evilBay is just greedy"

Though I agree in part ,thats the whole premise of ebay is to make money , ebay wants money and sellers want money ,it's all based on greed.

"When was the last time that you saw a really Awesome Deal on evilBay."

Depends where you are shopping , I got an ipod touch charging cable for under $2 from china ,it works great and was cheap . Last video game I got for cheap had 3 huge scratches that the somehow the seller didn't see, it made a great frisbee. Right now I have a few items on my watch list that the sellers have marked up by 1500-2000%  ,they sound a lot greedier to me  than Ebay.

I don't do normal.......
Message 91 of 133
latest reply

Why is the market share shrinking?

When was the last time that you saw a really Awesome Deal on evilBay.

(not to be confused with really stupid stuff that you see every day)

"When was the last time that you saw a really Awesome Deal on evilBay.

(not to be confused with really stupid stuff that you see every day)"

I don't know...I offer "Awesome Deals" all the time.  A few months ago, I bought of big box full of Lenox China accessories from two discontinued patterns for $25, or about a buck a peice.  All the other sellers were consistently listing some of this stuff for $150 to $250 per item...and not selling it.  So I cut their prices in half and every piece I've listed so far has sold within a week.  Who am I to say a covered butter dish at $75 isn't an awesome deal?  My customers surely thought so.  Granted, I scoop my Land-O-Lakes margarine right out of the plastic tub, but you know...just sayin'...

"If their business was growing they would not need to raise fees.[duh]"

Something you fail to understand is that businesses rarely raise prices becuase they "need" to.  They raise prices because they "can".  If a business is viable, it will only keep prices the same...or lower them...when there is significant push-back from the consumer or significant competition, neither of which is apparently the case with ebay.  There are the Alt Sites, but they cater to a niche market at best, and more often than not, a niche of a niche.

"Since eBay's actual market is shrinking the only way to increase profit is to raise fees.

If their business was growing they would not need to raise fees.[duh]

Why is the market share shrinking?"

There's a difference between a "shrinking market" and a "shrinking market share", and they may or may not have a direct effect on each other.  The market for buggy whips has been shrinking for quite some time as fewer and fewer people use them anymore.  The same is true for land line telephones.  However, Samsung's Android smart phone has been kicking Apple's iphone's butt lately, taking more and more of Apple's market share.  Does Apple lower it's prices when it releases a new model iphone?  No.  Why not?  Because with an expanding market, Apple can loose market share and still make plenty of money. 

The same holds true with ebay.  It can afford to loose market share to the Alt Sites nipping at its heels, all the while maintaining or raising its fees.  To carry the Apple/ebay comparison further, just as Apple expanded into into other businesses (itunes, ibooks, etc.), ebay has expanded with PayPal, StubHub, GSI and the like.  That's just smart business...realizing there is a finite point where a core business will reach the limits of its market and can no longer expand, and then branching out into other markets.  Remember, Harley Davidson sells more in T-shirts, key chains and coffee cups than it does in motorcycles.

The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.

--Peter Drucker
Message 92 of 133
latest reply

Does Apple lower it's prices when it releases a new model iphone?

Actually, Apple gave rebates to the people who bought the original iPhone when the price went down.  Then issued more rebates when the iPhone 2 came out.

But that was when Steve Jobs was still alive.

As you pointed-out... Samsung is eating Apple's lunch.

Expanding Market?  How many cell phones do you need?

Homeless people have cell phones, and I have one that I got for Free from the gubbament.

As to Market Share or whatever...

eBay is having a $25K contest to get people to list items (entry ends today).

That, along with Free Listings, show that evilBay knows that it is loosing business.

Go to any category... Click Completed Listings...

Compare the Green to the Red.

Most of the stuff doesn't sell, so evilBay does not get paid.

Now whether that is because of the economy or evilBay business model is debatable.

Or because people will do many stupid listings if the listings are Free.

(people don't respect things that they don't pay for)

I'd be satisfied with the 2007 model when I paid $2.65 for an Auction/BIN listing.

And do y'all think that evilBay will give you a prize for defending it.

Donahoe sez he doesn't want to run a Yard Sale...

but he turns eBay into a Flea Market of rip-off stores full of Chinese Crap.

Then he raises FVF to discourage people who sell Higher Priced items.

Go figger...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 93 of 133
latest reply

NOT ONLY ARE THEY GREEDY,THEY ARE RUINING PEOPLES BUSINESSES WITH THESE 5 STARS PEOPLE CAN LEAVE ANY LOW SCORES  AND YOUVE HAD IT,YOUR THROWN OFF EBAY WITH NO WARNING,I HAD 99.9% FEEDBACK AND THEYVE THROWN ME OFF.WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE RUN THIS COMPANY,OTHER COMPETITORS CAN LEAVE LOW SCORES AND YOUR OUT OF BUSINESS AND LEFT WITH PILES OF STOCK ,10 YEARS OF GOOD BUSINESS AND THIS IS HOW THEY TREAT YOU.

Message 94 of 133
latest reply

What reason did they give? Does the UK have a different rating system for sellers?

Please lose typing all in caps when posting it's very hard to read. Thanks

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 95 of 133
latest reply

Just read this, note the date!

Just when you thought eBay couldn't get more greedy ...

singletrackworld.com/.../just-when-you-thought-ebay-couldnt-get-more-...

16 Aug 2013 -

Well all good things must end one day. I wonder how long they have?

Message 96 of 133
latest reply

longer than you think....

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 97 of 133
latest reply

Ebay is without a doubt GREEEEEEDY!!!!!!!!!!

Message 98 of 133
latest reply

I am so looking forward to another company  similar to Reverb which only charges 3 % of a sale with NO listing fee...for musical mInstruments only ..not an auction site but EBAY has gotten too big for its britches and they are greeedy and run a poor ship.

Message 99 of 133
latest reply

indubitably 

photo sherlock.gif

Message 100 of 133
latest reply

and BD got the snipe 🙂

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 101 of 133
latest reply

Indeed, indubitably!  laugh.gif

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 102 of 133
latest reply

True that. EBay has a hundred different ways to suck the value out of a transaction with their countless fees. That is why I have my items listed on several other sites and am considering leaving EBay all together. The more I sell the more in debt to EBay I become. Never fear though, EBay knows how to suck money out of all your associated bank account to feed their hunger for your money. This is typical of businesses - the bigger they become the bolder and greedier they get the more they get away with. I am waiting for another auction site to seriously take market share from them. This is the only way they will drop some of their fees and come back to earth. Bonanza is one alternative but doesn't have nearly the audience. Craigslist is also good if you feel like meeting the seller in person.  But someone, For God's sake someone come along and take market share away from EBay. Get us out of its clutches.

Message 103 of 133
latest reply

Welcome to the part time seller board, chulak!

Not sure why you're more in debt to eBay - that sounds very bad!

@chulak1701 wrote:

..... I am waiting for another auction site to seriously take market share from them. This is the only way they will drop some of their fees and come back to earth. Bonanza is one alternative but doesn't have nearly the audience. Craigslist is also good if you feel like meeting the seller in person.  But someone, For God's sake someone come along and take market share away from EBay. Get us out of its clutches.

The problem with Bonanza and etsy, they aren't auction sites, so you're stuck with a set price.   Same thing for craigslist and while you don't have the paypal fees there, you also don't have national/international exposure.

ebay is still the only site for collectibles where a bidding war can happen, AFAIK.

Message 104 of 133
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lets talk  eBay internet traffic.

Globally 20th

U.S.A. 7th

13.37 page views per visitor

12.52 daily time spent on site

For information on traffic for almost any given web site - see www.alexa.com

Message 105 of 133