cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fees Are Pure Greed

If  you go to the e-bay fee calculator that shows current fees compared to the new fees staring April 16th it pretty shocking for the amateur hobbyist guitar-seller.  If you don't have an e-bay store (because you don't sell that much) and are just a small hobby seller the new fee structure will put a total end to selling high end guitars on e-bay. For example if you sell a $3,000 guitar in a fixed price listing that cost $65 to ship, the current fee is $104.30. The new fee starting April 16th is $250. That's an extra $145.70. Wow! I remember a couple years ago it only cost $50 to sell a high end guitar. I'm sorry but these new fees are nothing more than total greed anyway you slice it.  Shame on you e-bay.  Why are you so greedy? X-(

Message 1 of 133
latest reply
132 REPLIES 132

Re: New Fees Are Pure Greed

Uh... I don't know if you realize that "eBay" was a better place when I joined in 2006 when the fees were lower.  Not just for the Seller, either. 

You joined in 2006?  Newb.

Uh... I don't know if you realize that I have been Ebaying since 2000.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Message 46 of 133
latest reply

You joined in 2006?  Newb.

Uh... I don't know if you realize that I have been Ebaying since 2000.

Therefore, you know that eBay was a better place in the Ol' Daze...

When listing fees were higher and when FVF's were lower.

You could find more stuff.

You could sell more stuff.

And eBay actually made more money.

Listing Fees were higher (so not so much worthless crap was listed)

Final Value Fees were lower (so you didn't have to give-up so much money when you sold)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 47 of 133
latest reply

Final Value Fees were lower (so you didn't have to give-up so much money when you sold)

And Chinese sellers were on eBay CHINA!

Message 48 of 133
latest reply

"Therefore, you know that eBay was a better place in the Ol' Daze..."

I don't know any such thing.  Then again, I've only been here since 2008, coming right about the time JD took charge.  I do know that in the past 5 years my number of sales per year has grown, my average $$ per sale has increased, and my net profit has increased...substantially...all while listing approximately the same number of items in the same categories.

"When listing fees were higher and when FVF's were lower."

I have yet to pay a fee of any kind.  My customers pay the fees, even for items that do not sell.  I merely pass them along to ebay.

"You could find more stuff."

That's not true.  In 2006, there were 14 million listings, 55 million including store inventory.  Today, that consistently totals between 190 and 200 million.

http://www.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php

"You could sell more stuff."

That is not a function of "the Ol' Daze", but rather a function of the individual seller's initiative and acumen.

"And eBay actually made more money."

Also not true.  According to ebay's SEC filing in 2006, it's net income was $1.08 billion.  For 2012, it was $2.60 billion, or a nearly 240% increase in profit.

http://investor.ebay.com/annuals.cfm?SortOrder=Type%20Ascending&DocType=Annual&Year=

"Listing Fees were higher (so not so much worthless crap was listed)"

"Crap" is only crap in the eyes of the consumer.  As to its being worthless or not, that is something determined by its current market value, ie, what it sells for.  If there weren't a market for it, there wouldn't be any "crap".

"Final Value Fees were lower (so you didn't have to give-up so much money when you sold)"

Again, fees of any kind should only be passed on, not paid by the seller.  Personally, fees being a reality, I would rather see them back loaded than front loaded as it's an indication that my items actually sold and I'm making money.  Front loaded fees only indicate I know how to create a listing.

I can appreciate people's nostalgia for "The Ol' Daze"...it can be fun...but in the reality of the present, it's usually nothing more than seeing today filtered through yesterday's rose colored glasses.  Things evolve and/or new things are created.  One has to deal with the present, regardless of how the past may be remembered as better, and no amount of pining is going to change that.

The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.

--Peter Drucker
Message 49 of 133
latest reply

OMA Writes.........You could find more stuff."

He didn't mean just volume !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 50 of 133
latest reply

Need to agree With OMA and Komo on this.

Back in the Ol Daze the stuff on the bay was quality and easy to find.

Now you need to sort thru a bunch of crap to find QUALITY items.

Volume has wrecked the joint a little bit.

A great example is: Ebay went from Macy's to Dollar general.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
Message 51 of 133
latest reply

I tell you how we do this.

You send me your guitar.

I sell it for you.

You pay no fees.

Message 52 of 133
latest reply

Reverbtank,

I wanted to let you know I feel your pain as well.  For those of us who sell nice stuff as a hobby without a store we were already paying significantly higher fees for auction items.  The fact that they are raising the rates from 2% for every dollar above 1000, to 10% is a nightmare.  Not sure how I will be able to deal with this.  For a $2500 item the $250 fees seem quite excessive.  For those selling their $15 item there is much cost for Ebay for hosting and selling the item as a $2500 item, yet one seller is paying $1.50 and the other pays $250.

There have been several posts across the forum boards who talk about this being fair now that the tiered FVF system is gone, they compare Ebay rates to high end auction houses.  The comparison is not fair in any way whatsoever. While I hate this new system I think I could live with it if they brought back the $100 maximum FVF.

Message 53 of 133
latest reply

"Therefore, you know that eBay was a better place in the Ol' Daze..."

I don't know any such thing.  Then again, I've only been here since 2008, coming right about the time JD took charge.  I do know that in the past 5 years my number of sales per year has grown, my average $$ per sale has increased, and my net profit has increased...substantially...all while listing approximately the same number of items in the same categories.

"When listing fees were higher and when FVF's were lower."

I have yet to pay a fee of any kind.  My customers pay the fees, even for items that do not sell.  I merely pass them along to ebay.

"You could find more stuff."

That's not true.  In 2006, there were 14 million listings, 55 million including store inventory.  Today, that consistently totals between 190 and 200 million.

http://www.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php

"You could sell more stuff."

That is not a function of "the Ol' Daze", but rather a function of the individual seller's initiative and acumen.

"And eBay actually made more money."

Also not true.  According to ebay's SEC filing in 2006, it's net income was $1.08 billion.  For 2012, it was $2.60 billion, or a nearly 240% increase in profit.

http://investor.ebay.com/annuals.cfm?SortOrder=Type%20Ascending&DocType=Annual&Year=

"Listing Fees were higher (so not so much worthless crap was listed)"

"Crap" is only crap in the eyes of the consumer.  As to its being worthless or not, that is something determined by its current market value, ie, what it sells for.  If there weren't a market for it, there wouldn't be any "crap".

"Final Value Fees were lower (so you didn't have to give-up so much money when you sold)"

Again, fees of any kind should only be passed on, not paid by the seller.  Personally, fees being a reality, I would rather see them back loaded than front loaded as it's an indication that my items actually sold and I'm making money.  Front loaded fees only indicate I know how to create a listing.

I can appreciate people's nostalgia for "The Ol' Daze"...it can be fun...but in the reality of the present, it's usually nothing more than seeing today filtered through yesterday's rose colored glasses.  Things evolve and/or new things are created.  One has to deal with the present, regardless of how the past may be remembered as better, and no amount of pining is going to change that.

Thank you for this response. 

I consider ebay a much better place today.  I make alot more money today than I did back in 2000. 

I dont get all the complaining about the china sellers.  They sell electronics and cheap crap.  I have never done an ebay search whether researching items i want to buy or sell and been overrun by china sellers.  If your having that problem then buy or sell something else.

I get when people complain about a certain policy but some people come on here and complain about ebay day after day after day.  If you know of a better game in town then pick up your chips and sit at that table.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Message 54 of 133
latest reply

So yeah... Raising fees only causes MY customer base to quit shopping here.

Then all you need to do is figure out where they do shop and sell there.  Unless, of course, you  can continue to make money here even though you publicly classify the place as evil.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 55 of 133
latest reply

I am truely curious if those that scream greed have ever had an economics class.

Prices will always rise to the highest point they can.  Always.  On every venue, every time, without fail.  When the cost finally exceeds demand only then will the cost decrease. 

Ebay will continue to raise our costs as much as the market will bear.  It will NOT stop until the market will not bear it any more.  Where is that point?  Who knows.  For some it's now and for others they will do just fine.

Message 56 of 133
latest reply

Then all you need to do is figure out where they do shop and sell there.  Unless, of course, you  can continue to make money here even though you publicly classify the place as evil.

Much like the OP... I do not come to eBay to make money.

I make money by playing guitar on the street.

I SPEND money on eBay.

I came to eBay because it was a convenient place to buy and sell guitars.

In the ole daze, unless you clicked "Buy It Now ONLY" tab at the top of the page in your search you did not get any Store listings.

You still got Auctions and small sellers with BIN's... But NO STORES.

I first came here to buy guitars and other equipment from other Musicians.

Then I became a sincerely Part-Time Seller by selling guitars to buy other guitars...

I have only sold a bit over a hundred items in 6 years.

If I wanted a NEW guitar I would go to a Real Website.

But I came here to trade privately used guitars with other private citizens.

For the same reasons that I find it hard to locate quality items on evilBay...

My potential customer find it difficult also.

Therefore... I liked the 2006 version of eBay better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 57 of 133
latest reply

OMA SAID: I liked the 2006 version of eBay better.

YOU THINK THE 2006 VERSION WAS GOOD THE 98-05 VERSION WAS AWESOME!!!

LOW FEE'S, A POCKET FULL OF MONEY ORDERS AND NO CHEAP CRAP CLUTTERING THE AUCTION PAGES.

AHHH THOSE WERE THE DAYS:-x

IMANG, I SECOND YOUR COMMENT, YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD.

SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS, MY KEYBOARD IS SCREWED UP.:-p

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
Message 58 of 133
latest reply

SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS, MY KEYBOARD IS SCREWED UP.:-p

Oh good...now you can go on eBay to newegg and buy a new keyboard! I just got one from them last week and guess what..? It was DOA! Took me 2 weeks in the resolution center to FINALLY return it. 1 full week of back & forth message nonsense! They didnt know how to just hit the "return for refund" option! So I drove down the street to Staples and bought a brand new working one!

Even companies like newegg sell garbage on eBay! Guess I should have noticed the 200 negs! Kinda funny...im sure if I bought it in their B&M it woulda worked!

Message 59 of 133
latest reply

Sorry 2 days in resolution not 2 weeks...but a full week of chatter till I opened the case.

But hey..I did get my dead keyboard in 2 days!

Message 60 of 133
latest reply