cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fees Are Pure Greed

If  you go to the e-bay fee calculator that shows current fees compared to the new fees staring April 16th it pretty shocking for the amateur hobbyist guitar-seller.  If you don't have an e-bay store (because you don't sell that much) and are just a small hobby seller the new fee structure will put a total end to selling high end guitars on e-bay. For example if you sell a $3,000 guitar in a fixed price listing that cost $65 to ship, the current fee is $104.30. The new fee starting April 16th is $250. That's an extra $145.70. Wow! I remember a couple years ago it only cost $50 to sell a high end guitar. I'm sorry but these new fees are nothing more than total greed anyway you slice it.  Shame on you e-bay.  Why are you so greedy? X-(

Message 1 of 133
latest reply
132 REPLIES 132

Re: New Fees Are Pure Greed

Am I defending swearing at the (disrespectful snowbird)..?...no

Do I think it is funny as hell...?..yes...but that is because I am used to it from eBay. There are parts in the south that would have had a winchester rifle snuffed in their face for disrespect like that...do I condone or act like that...no...!

But in all honesty yes it is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it...that somebody who asked less for a real currency american dollar...is not in my opinion a "somebody"...they are a "nobody"....to each their own Komo...personally, I would have laughed and kindly asked them to leave my property. But this is Arizona..home of hot weather and pistol packing rednecks...and like I said...its a Dollar...if you can find me a dollar for less than a dollar...then I will shut up!

Message 31 of 133
latest reply

I am in the camp of understanding but not empathizing with the people complaining about the fees going up in some categories.  You had a sweetheart deal for whatever reason and now ebay is saying the honeymoon is over time to pony up and pay what everyone else has been paying all along. 

After looking it over I like most of what ebay did for this update.

Uh... I don't know if you realize that "eBay" was a better place when I joined in 2006 when the fees were lower.  Not just for the Seller, either.

More Sales... Higher Prices with Bidding Wars... meaning higher FVF.

eBay made more money and did more "business".

evilBay probably has more "traffic" now... But fewer Sales.

And what does sell is from Chinese junk shops which earns eBay pennies in FVF's.

In 2008, once Donahoe's "new vision" has basically destroyed eBay (thus creating evilBay).  eBay's stock dived, and dived more with every new idea.

EBAY the stock is doing well now, but only because of PayPal.

Now that PayPal is the way that I (and millions of others) pay for anything online... Walmart, Target, Newegg, Tigerdirect, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, and my annual Portland Streetcar Pass.

PayPal is supporting eBay because every evilBay Update is another BAD IDEA.

ebay the site has continued to suck.

Donahoe wants to make this a Shopping Mall...

Thereby having to compete directly with Amazon, Google, Newegg, every other online seller.

I only come here for Used items (or something that "fell-off-da-truck in Joisey).

I can get most New items cheaper elsewhere online.

So yeah... Raising fees only causes MY customer base to quit shopping here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 32 of 133
latest reply

Donahoe wants to make this a Shopping Mall...

An interesting observation...serveral months ago, I said exactly the same thing in the thread about the launch of the new ebay logo and was roundly criticized for it.  The difference is that I considered it a positive development where small and micro sellers would be the niche kiosks outside the anchor stores, picking up the crumbs, as it were.  There are an awfully lot of crumbs out there to be picked up!

The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.

--Peter Drucker
Message 33 of 133
latest reply

Hatter 2  "Greed is a relative concept.

I sell mostly Pottery & Glass, but I do sell a fair amount of collectilbes...vintage ones, not the new stuff.  For a $72 outlay and final sale prices ranging between $165 to $230 total, I would have passed on the intital purchase.  That's only a 200% to 300% mark-up.  For a $72 outlay, I would be looking for at least $300 (400% mark-up), and then only if I could sell them as a full lot of 6 pieces, and turn them quickly.  For smaller outlays, I look for a 500% to 1000% mark-up.

That doesn't make me a greedy seller, just one who knows how the numbers and %-ages work to make my business model sustainable."

I definately understand what you are saying and the selling items with high profit margins bring in more money instantaneously.But that is the same business strategy that every business owner had that big companies like Walmart knocked out .In my neighbourhood you are slowly seeing the stores that carry high end products slowly disappearing due to a poor economy . If your business strategy is working for you than my hat is off to you for finding your niche. For the  average business selling lots of items with a reasonable profit works far better than selling a few items with a very inflated profit.Just look at the success of the walmarts/ targets and dolloramas

I don't do normal.......
Message 34 of 133
latest reply

dear Minty....I would never ask you to shut up!

far from it.

I'm always for a spirited discussion, & now I'm on the lookout for a less than $1 , dollar !

And while I'm certainly not a fan of that snowbirds distastefully low offer, I doubt that emptying a rifle into her face would be a proper response, even for an Arazonian.

That said, just because someone sells something for less than it's worth, doesn't mean that that's it's true value.

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 35 of 133
latest reply

An interesting observation...serveral months ago, I said exactly the same thing in the thread about the launch of the new ebay logo and was roundly criticized for it.  The difference is that I considered it a positive development where small and micro sellers would be the niche kiosks outside the anchor stores, picking up the crumbs, as it were.  There are an awfully lot of crumbs out there to be picked up!

But online you do not have to actually WALK by the leather-goods cart to get into Nordstrom's.

What actually happens is... You do a search for a Used (insert brand) guitar and you wade-through Thousands of Factory-Reject guitars and Knock-offs to find what you want.

So, the Shopping Mall only benefits the "stores".

(I know that I always mention guitars... But this applies to other specialty items also)

Also... The Shopping Mall was already there...

eBay was started to sell the crap you have laying around the house. 

Like broken laser pointers.

When the major bad idea changes started, there was already Amazon and Google.

Plus if I wanted cheap crap, there was Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, as well as Home/Office Depot.

The thing that annoys me is that they took a perfectly good business and ruined it in the search for more "share".

(Previously, Meg Whitman had already destroyed the other Auction Sites by acquisition or Law Suit)

Once evilBay had cornered the market, they decided that they wanted to be Amazon.

If I want Buffalo Wings, I don't go to McDonald's.

If I wanted to visit a Store, I would not have come to eBay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 36 of 133
latest reply

KOMO SAID: BTW .." an item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it"...  & I got shouted down for not buying into that logic.......???

Shouted down, who did that?

Komo its just opinion.... You have yours, I have mine, and many others would have another take on it all together.

Its all good in the hood, your opinion is just as important as anyone else here.

Thats why people come to the PTS for different views.  ChillB-)

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
Message 37 of 133
latest reply

.." an item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it"... 

I've seen this used a lot over time on this board, to the point that it seems to be prevailing wisdom rather than just anyones opinion, and I've yet to see anyone dispute this statement outright.

So yes, it may be just my opinion that this statement has no basis in fact , & that I don't buy into the premiss .....and it seems that I stand alone in voicing that opinion.

Now pardon me while I take my meds !!!!!!!!!!!;-)

Message 38 of 133
latest reply

Wow! Thats alot of millagrams..:^O

Komo just take 1/2 please..hahaaa! I'll take the other half 😉

Message 39 of 133
latest reply

Komo said: So yes, it may be just my opinion that this statement has no basis in fact , & that I don't buy into the premiss .....and it seems that I stand alone in voicing that opinion.

I Guess you feel that you are alone on this subject, but I disagree. 

So I give anyone who feels left out this button. Wear it with pride Komo!!

Don't feel left out bud my wife awards me one almost every day, so if you lose yours I got one to spare.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
Message 40 of 133
latest reply

Hatter 2  "Greed is a relative concept.

I sell mostly Pottery & Glass, but I do sell a fair amount of collectilbes...vintage ones, not the new stuff.  For a $72 outlay and final sale prices ranging between $165 to $230 total, I would have passed on the intital purchase.  That's only a 200% to 300% mark-up.  For a $72 outlay, I would be looking for at least $300 (400% mark-up), and then only if I could sell them as a full lot of 6 pieces, and turn them quickly.  For smaller outlays, I look for a 500% to 1000% mark-up.

That doesn't make me a greedy seller, just one who knows how the numbers and %-ages work to make my business model sustainable."

I definately understand what you are saying and the selling items with high profit margins bring in more money instantaneously.But that is the same business strategy that every business owner had that big companies like Walmart knocked out .In my neighbourhood you are slowly seeing the stores that carry high end products slowly disappearing due to a poor economy . If your business strategy is working for you than my hat is off to you for finding your niche. For the  average business selling lots of items with a reasonable profit works far better than selling a few items with a very inflated profit.Just look at the success of the walmarts/ targets and dolloramas

Whenever I read something like your 2 posts, I always ask myself, "What exactly does this person consider to be a "greedy" seller?"  How much exactly does this person consider to be a "high" profit margin?  How much exactly does this person consider to be a "reasonable" profit?  How much exactly does this person consider a "very inflated profit"?

Consider the collectibles you bought...6 for $72, or $12 each, where you thought a 200% to 300% mark up on the lot was "greedy".  How much should they be charging to make what you consider a "reasonable" profit?  At what point do they reach a "very inflated" profit?

Now consider this...maybe some of those sellers selling at the current market value bought thier items further down the food chain and paid a higher price than you did...say, $20 each.  Does that alter your perception of them?  Or what if some bought further up the food chain and only paid $6 each?  Should they be setting their prices below the current market value so they don't appear to making a "very inflated profit", only because they were either fortunate enough or worked harder to source their items for a better price?

This morning, I went to 3 thrift shops and a rummage sale.  After looking at several hundred items, I came home with one...a 1960s Farberware electric percolator.  I paid $1 for it.  I've sold a couple dozen of these and know the going price is $25 to $30.  Am I going to feel guilty for being greedy when I list it BIN for $30?  Hell, no!  I'm going to take my 3000% mark up and run!

As a side note, as far as the economy driving businesses under, for the most part I think that's a bunch of hooie.  When Mommie and Daddy and Buddy and Sis and the 6 year old twins all have $600 iphones and the family has a $200+ a month cable/satelite bill, the lack of disposable income to support local stores is a choise.  And WalMart is going to take whatever is left.

The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.

--Peter Drucker
Message 41 of 133
latest reply

Minty...that why there's a line down the middle....to share with a friend !  lol....

V... i'm not special.....just lonely....:-(

Message 42 of 133
latest reply

Hatter2 if you went to  a few thrift shops and a rummage sale than you put in alot more effort and work to find your items to resell . And if you factor in transportation and your time you spent more than $1 on the percolator. I also think used items and antiques  are alot different than new items   .  %100 mark up on some diecast cars someone  spent 5 minutes to purchase online is reasonable . %100  mark up on a $1 percolator wouldn't be worth the time or effort to list it.  Like everything else in life greed is based on perception which might change depending on the item that is being sold.  . In the end It comes down to the price whether a person buys an item or not , someone might pay $5 for the percolator while another might pay $30,if everyone thinks the price is too high than the item doesn't sell .

As far as the economy goes that really depends where you live and  how the economy isin your neighbourhood , I live in a neighbourhood where the majority don't have smart phones and satellite tv and they can't afford to go to higher end shops . And I constantly see small mom and pop shops and higher end store close while the big box stores thrive.

I don't do normal.......
Message 43 of 133
latest reply

One mans ceiling is another mans floor .

Buy low & sell high.

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

Always go trick or treating in the high class neighbourhood.

The candy's better !

Measure twice & cut once.

You have two ears and one mouth , so listen twice as much as you speak.

Birds of a feather flock together.

And so on & so forth.................

Message 44 of 133
latest reply

@ leogess:

Thanks for the compliment on recognizing the effort.  We all, especially part timers, have our own challenges...mine just happen to be on the front end.  Fortunately, with the stuff I sell, I don't have to deal with the scams, non-payers and the like, that show their ugly little heads on the back end.

One of the things I've always appreciated about ebay is it's not demographically sensitive.  There's room for the Chinese cell phone cover sellers, the diecast car sellers, the high end clothing sellers...even people who sell collectible "junk"...like me.  Even during this last recession, there's a large enough quantity of potential buyers so that where some folks may be struggling, there are still other folks who are doing well.

One last thought on the percolator I bought.  As I was examining it, there was another junker standing behind me.  As I was about to put it under my arm and walk away, he said to me, "Damn!  If you didn't take that, I would have!"  We both laughed.

I wish your business success going forward.

--Peter Drucker
Message 45 of 133
latest reply