cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low-Ballers

I sell gems which are 100% certified as natural, any treatment if known (heat/BE/etc), certifications at no extra charge and in black faux-leather, glass-lidded jewelry boxes, then, all enclosed in a black velvet jewelry bag for a nice presentation. I also have free S&H. The certifications, jewelry boxes, velvet bags and shipping/handling set me back about a hundred dollars on each gem, plus the actual cost of that gem.

My margin is not that much based on the actual cost of the gem, plus the eBay fees and the $100 spent on certification, marketing and presentation on each gem. Plus, I'm also fighting those sellers who sell synthetic gems, pieces of glass or other low-quality stones as genuine. And, there are actually buyers who believe that you can get a real 5-carat Sapphire on eBay for $5.00. 

My feedback speaks for itself about the quality of my gems and my customer service. I also employ "best offer" on most of my gems. The issue is that, on too many occasions, a potential "buyer" will low-ball me an offer on a gem. Way low!

Example: a gem I offered for $900.00 got an offer from a bidder for $88.00. Not $880.00...$88.00! Seriously! Of course, some people get it and offer a fair price, which I may either accept or make a counter-offer in return. The low-ballers seem to have flourished and multiplied over the last two years, or so. 

Of course, I must respond, which I do very nicely and professionally. I make a reasonable counter-offer and either hear nothing else from them or get a rather rude e-mail that "they can't afford that price." Hey, I like the new Bentley coupe, but, I can't afford one. I guess I could go to the nearest Rolls-Royce/Bentley dealership and offer $30,000 for a Bentley which lists for $188,000.00. We all know how realistic that is, right?

So, point of the thread: have you as sellers noticed an uptick in the number of low-ballers on eBay lately? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Low-Ballers

Low Ballers... Deep voices and shallow pockets.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Low ballers are running rampant. One of my recent listings for silver Canadian quarters, got an offer for about 50% of the MELT VALUE content in the coins. Do people not like Canadian coins? Or do people just not know how much they are worth?

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

IMHO, the 'best offer' option just attracts low-ballers, like moths to a flame. As soon as they see you are willing to accept less, they will never make an offer anywhere the asking price.
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I think many bidders don't understand what best offer means....here !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

to them it means the name your price tool.
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Hi, ya, she-sells ~ old thread but funny and oh so true ~ personally I like a Hi-Ball when dealing with low-ballers!  Smiley Wink

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 21 of 21
latest reply