cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS EBAY LOSING SELLER'S???

It seems to me that Ebay Is doing it's best to run the smaller seller off Ebay . The new Policies and fee's are a joke . They will learn that it was the smaller seller's that made Ebay what it is today . Not Walmart or Junk from China . No Seller's = No Buyer's = No Ebay .
It's just common sense .
Message 1 of 542
latest reply
541 REPLIES 541

juliawalkingfish
Enthusiast

yo are blaming the wrong people.  Sellers respond to ebays inane policies.  I dont do international anymore because they just give my money to anyone claimingh non receipt.  We have no control once it eaves the USA.  I dont sell to alaska or hawaii because ebays shipping limits for product types and their postage calculator is crap, plus they dont account for havinmg to buy packing materials or their fee's on shipping which also need to go into the price.

Last dude, its OUR STUFF we can sell how and to whom as we choose.  If you don't like it, go elsewhere.  That is what i am doing as a seller.

Message 376 of 542
latest reply

juliawalkingfish
Enthusiast

BINGO!!

Message 377 of 542
latest reply

juliawalkingfish
Enthusiast

are you sure you aren't me?  bang on my friend, bang on right.

Message 378 of 542
latest reply

juliawalkingfish
Enthusiast

you must be paid by ebay because no seller would make such a stupid post.  That process is a JOKE. Ebay closes cases without evidnce not even waiting for postal investigations on lost items to be completed.  There is no business sense to their handling of issues they pander to huyers who should not beallowed to buy, non payers, and buyers who have learned if the cry wolf they will get a freebie.  I have to wonder if any of these ebay employees went to business school. As someone with an MBA it does not appear so.

Message 379 of 542
latest reply

julia...who are you talking to? yourself?

ever hear of a quote??

btw: where'd you get your masters?  ..I'm guessin the ol' crackerjack box!  ....mmmm,good!  😄

please let me know so I can make sure im never edumacated by them! ;-)...

Ignorance is bliss
Message 380 of 542
latest reply

mooseonmoss2012
Enthusiast

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE REAL EBAY ABDUCTED ?

Ebay was a place to come families, friends everyone it was a place to meet new people make some money. Yes I understand people abuse it but not everyone.I have listed my last item on Ebay as have colleagues we are going to try new sites. Ebay is no longer people friendy. I just received a email from them saying that because I am no longer a top rated seller, that my payments received will be pending for a period of time, that did it for me I have had enough. Also because I dont ship a item within one day doesnt ebay realise that some people live in small towns miles from post offices. All ebay is now is rules and regulations more like a prison than a forum to sell. I have shares in ebay maybe its time to sell them as rats always desert a sinking ship ebay once used to be proud now they just dont care.

Message 381 of 542
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

look everyone, ebay has paid shills on this BB.  How much are they paying you chump?

Message 382 of 542
latest reply

cnpro4life1a
Enthusiast

fee-bay and no-pal will be gone soon.

they have made there good sellers leave.

they charge thur the teeth and now no traffic...!!!

no-way people no-way

fix it e-bay before it's to late

Message 383 of 542
latest reply

Heck ya they are. The more people I talk to, the more I see this happening. There is no protection for a seller, but everything for the buyer. I recently got screwed for about $150 because a buyer claimed a brand new tablet I sent them was used and broken (sold 8 others in the same auction and no one else had this problem/claim). The buyer sent it back broken and when I contacted eBay to tell them, they said "if you are getting it back the way the buyer described it, there isn't anything you can do". Well duh eBay, of course it is in the condition the buyer described since the buyer was the one who broke it.

I had to send the tablet back to China (at an additional $38 cost to me) and they found that the screen had been internally broken (most likely from being dropped - so not an apparent cracked screen or anything, just something internal). If I hadn't sent it back, it would have been a total writeoff. The manufacturer determined the screen was broken and replaced it and sent it back. So now I have a working tablet that IS refurbished and therefore cannot be sold at the original 'New' price.

What I found when I got the tablet back was a picture of the buyer on it! Yes, the buyer, 99maneater99, had taken a picture on accident or purposely and then dropped it and broke it (so make sure never to sell to this individual if you are still selling on eBay). So rather than being honest and accepting what she had done she instead immediately opened a claim against me lying about the tablet being used/refurbished and broken (note this was AFTER she left me positive feedback). No matter what I told eBay, they simply didn't care and eventually took my money out of my PayPal account without my consent...and apparently there was nothing I could do (something like this should be handled by a 3rd party arbitrater rather then the company that owns both eBay and PayPal!!). And you wonder why eBay pushes sellers to use PayPal. It's so they can screw the seller if needed without the seller's permission.

Anyway, when I got the tablet back from the manufacturer with a replaced screen and the picture of the buyer on the tablets internal memory, I immediately contacted eBay to tell them how they grossly made a bad decision on the opened case against me and that now I had actual proof (rather than logical proof). Their response "it's been more than 45 days so there is nothing we can do about it". It was about 50 days so I was 5 days too late. Didn't matter to eBay that I now had physical proof, they didn't care 1 bit. Oh, they did give me my fees back which they had originally kept, but $6 doesn't make up for a $150 loss when eBay made the wrong decision!

The whole experience has changed my selling on eBay to either nothing, or only items I'm willing to completely lose out on just in case I get yet another dishonest buyer. It is something I suggest other sellers to follow least they be screwed over by dishonest buyers and eBay's badly written policies.

When I tell people my experience (and let me tell you I tell as many people as I can about it), I find out that many have had similiar experiences and they also have stopped selling on eBay. Reduced sellers will eventually equal reduced buyers which will eventually lead to another auction site taking over eBay. Note I said reduced since sure, there will always be someone willing to sell on eBay being as big as they are right now (a bad way for eBay to pretend they are better then any other auction site).

As a side note, the buyer was adamant about paying for eBay's extended warranty. I personally feel eBay in part stuck it to me because they didn't want to have to pay the buyer for a broken tablet under their extended warranty. I have over 500 positive feedbacks at 100% (and still do). Not even that mattered to eBay.

Message 384 of 542
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm seriously considering leaving.

The fees are ridiculous. Once you pay eBay and PayPal you walk away with nothing.

They have become more anti-seller.

If you sell wise on free listing sites, local papers and shops you will get a sale.... And it won't cost the majority of your profit.

I hope eBay and PayPal begin to realise. They have become too big and greedy. If not they can go under as far as I'm concerned.
Message 385 of 542
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ebay is losing good sellers/buyers.

These new policies allow for easy scams

Message 386 of 542
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

Ebay is losing good sellers/buyers.

It is true that eBay is losing many great sellers

and as they leave, so do the honest buyers, but

for every seller who hits their limit of frustration, a

new bright-eyed bushy tailed seller takes their place.

For each long term buyer, who leaves due to seeing

the same over-priced junk listed for thirty days, over

and over again, a new buyer takes their place.

Although, on the surface this may seem like a simple

changing of the guard, there is a downside to it. The

sellers, who started the exodus, were long term members.

These were sellers who had exemplary FB from the high

100's to well into 1000's. They had finally had enough.

Today, we are seeing sellers with well under 100 FB giving up.

Same situation on the buyer side. Great long term buyers

have left and some of the new crop of bidders have a 

disturbing view of what eBay is. There is a sense of entitlement,

which is driven by eBay's policies. Bid like crazy, but don't pay...

nothing will happen, eBay protects them. Make false claims...

nothing will happen, eBay has their back.

There are many of us, still trying to make a go of it here,

but for many others, the thrill is gone.

Message 387 of 542
latest reply

I guess I'm one of the new bright-eyed seller 2m2 is talking about.  I have been selling for about 6 months and have a total of about 250 transactions.  The vast majority go smoothly, but I been scammed twice.  Once for a $30 pair of shoes and once for a $120 jacket.  Both times the buyer was very, very well versed in what they needed to do.  There is almost no way to completely protect yourself from the savvy, educated scammer.  If they want it (plus free shipping), they will find a way to get it.  Luckily, my total investment in both items was about $50.  I figure it's the cost of doing business with the public.

I think part of the problem is that cheap, low end stuff brings in a low rent type of buyer...and they are often the non-payers & neg feedback folks.  High end stuff might give you a better class of customer most of the time, but also attacts the really good scammers, the kind you can't protect yourself against.

So, that leaves selling middle of the road stuff that brings in decent buyers & few scammers.  But most of those catagories are so overloaded with sellers, it's tough to make a good profit because the price points are so low.

I only do this part-time and I don't depend on the money to pay the bills or feed the kids.  It's just mad money.  I'm not sure at all that I could make an actual living on here. 

Message 388 of 542
latest reply

Howdy all, been buying and selling on eBay since 1999. I find the item fees to be very reasonable, but then I sell mostly vintage stuff and the alternative is 40+% consignment fee at a store.

What I'm disgruntled about are the fees on shipping. The topic on that seems to have a bunch of folks playing a word game rather than any discussion, so I'm bringing it here. Hope that's okay.

So what happened was that sellers who wanted to get around the fees started selling stuff for 99 cents and adding the actual BIN price to the shipping cost, which wasn't dinged for any seller fees. Apparently cracking down on these sellers didn't work, so eBay added the fee on shipping. Which means if we charge enough to cover that expense, we get negative feedback for overcharging for shipping!!! I just started adding a disclaimer to my auctions about that. But it should not be OUR PROBLEM.

What I want to propose is that eBay set up their interface so they only charge that 8% on any amount OVER the actual shipping cost. They have the calculator in place, we buy the mailing label directly from them, so it's a no brainer. Then folks who are padding shipping and lowering item cost will pay their share, and the rest of us can continue to be honest sellers.

I'm going to write that up and send it to San Jose, but need community support to make a dent. Anybody know how to set up a petition? I'd really appreciate the information.

Yours in eBaydom,

Selmahjunkoff

Message 389 of 542
latest reply

Mint Rob,

you said back in March that you had a .99 auction that ended @$2100--what was it that you sold?

from what I can see, the only way the .99 works to the sellers adv. is if there's a bidding war.

Interesting messaging on this board. I can see how Ebay has changed since the thread started, perhaps in response, perhaps not. where now they (EB) are offer no fees unless you sell, and other things to attract sellers.  Now I have to go take a calculator to all that I've sold and see what I REALLY earned. hmm.

Never thought about it all..just leave money in paypal to cover those nasty fees.

Message 390 of 542
latest reply