cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Bay 10 percent fee on shipping?

In my opinion the 10 percent fee for shipping & handling only seems to hurt the consumer. No doubt most if not all sellers here on e-Bay must have increased their fees with this in mind. Am I wrong? But then again I am only new here so my opinion is probably moot. But then again as a new buyer I will be more careful in buying from e-Bay knowing there are fees they charge that are passed on for the consumer to pay such as this 10 percent S&H fee on the sellers.

Shame on e-BayWoman Sad

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

hilarious 

MY SIGNATURE:

you asked for it, you got it !!
a pathologically lying, criminally racist potus 😞

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Yeah, I guess in the end when you buy eggs your really not paying for the egg, your paying for all the handling in between. Right?

give a man a fish and he eats for a day. teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

I've been thinking that eBay may now have a way to lower shipping fees for most sellers and in the end lower shipping costs for buyers, but it may or may not be in Ebay's financial interest.

Of course with state and federal laws, who knows if what I'm suggesting is even legal.  Also it would basically do away with most free shipping which is another thing eBay pushes.

If you purchase your shipping through ebay/paypal you are not charged 10% fee on the cost of the shipping that you purchase through them.

In otherwords, if your customer pays $10.00 for shipping and it costs you $9.00 through eBay/paypal.  You pay a fee on the dollar difference, $0.10.  (I know it does not account for your packing supplies or time packing).

If you pay for your shipping through a non-Ebay or paypal on-line verifiable source you pay the 10% fee as always.

Just a thought, I'm sure it has a million holes.  

I see issues especially with the big sellers and diamond level sellers who have there own shipping departments, but to be honest the really big sellers probably negotiate special deals with eBay in regards to shipping and other fees aready.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

@theguitarpartsguy wrote:

@onanysunday711 wrote:

yes but they lied about why they were doing it

they simply want more money if they would have said so it would have been better plan but they lie

they are no better than obama,and the rest of the politicians in washington, they lie

They did not lie about it.  Sellers used to list an item for a penny and then jack up the shipping price to something near what the selling price of the item ought to be, so that they could get around paying fees on the entire sale and instead only pay fees on the 1-cent selling price.  It used to be common practice here in the old days.  Ebay plainly stated that was the reasoning behind the charge on shipping when they put the fee in place, no lying about it. 

Sellers trying to avoid the final value fees were rampant on ebay before the change. 

My best explanation is that ebay is set up for larg(er) sellers. If you are a power seller and meet their guidelines, you will get discounts on final value fees (20 percent) and discounts on shipping through the USPS deal with ebay. Most of the time with the shipping discount, I end up slightly ahead on my shipping charges.

If pays to meet the guidelines for a bronze power seller.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@onanysunday711 wrote:

@onanysunday711 wrote:

@onanysunday711 wrote:

they simply want more money if they would have said so it would have been better plan but they lie

they are no better than obama,and the rest of the politicians in washington, they lie

They did not lie about it.  Sellers used to list an item for a penny and then jack up the shipping price to something near what the selling price of the item ought to be, so that they could get around paying fees on the entire sale and instead only pay fees on the 1-cent selling price.  It used to be common practice here in the old days.  Ebay plainly stated that was the reasoning behind the charge on shipping when they put the fee in place, no lying about it. 

yes they lied, they also said it was to imrove the buyers experience my buyers pay more now

they did nothing to stop what they said they were stopping, sellers can still way overcharge on shipping

in fact they are incouraging it

they sure have you fooled tho Smiley Very Happy

As a seller who used to sell bigger ticket guitars that were supposed to have MAP (minimum advertised price) policies attached to them, I used to see all sorts of trickery used by sellers to get around both dealership rules of the guitar manufacturers and methods used to get ahead.  In fact, I got angry at one company I used to sell for and listed 10 inexpensive acoustic guitars in a dutch auction listing once at a penny each with shipping at a hundred bucks, because the MAP policies were not being policed on eBay.  I got phone calls from the rep about it, but they started policing eBay sales after that, so I got my point across.  The uniform eBay charge of 10% across the board (including shipping) stopped a lot of games like that and evened the playing field.  I haven't been "fooled" by anyone, but I've been around this place for quite a while and have seen a LOT of changes over the years.  Frankly, the best way I have found to sell items is to include the shipping in the price of the item and charge no shipping on top of the item price. 

Again, there was no lying, it was stated plainly that the charges were in order to put a stop to sellers selling items on the cheap and marking up the shipping to get around eBay fees.  I'm sorry if you feel otherwise, but you're simply mistaken.

like i said they lied and the crooked carnival barking clowns that set ebay policy have got you totally fooled 

soory about yer luck

by the way i know quite a few ebay sellers and they all agree, ebay lies and lied about this policy.period

you are of the very few naive enuff to buy into their

You are fooling yourself if you think you have any clue of what I know and don't know, and you have no need to tell me "soory" about my luck.  It matters not how many sellers you know or whatever, first, this is eBay's court, you have to play by their rules if you want to be here, and second, I know for a fact that eBay changed the rules to level the shipping playing field, there were hundreds, maybe thousands, of sellers breaking the rules before the change.  You can say you "think" they were lying, but you no more know that as a fact than you know me in person.  I am far from naive, I have been here on eBay since 1999, so I have been around the eBay block a few times myself.  It has changed a lot since the early days, and not all that change has been for the better in my opinion, but it is what it is.  I don't buy into anything they feed us, necessarily, but I do adapt and change as needed to stay within the rules and do my best as a seller.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

@twotoys wrote:

@onanysunday711 wrote:

Sellers trying to avoid the final value fees were rampant on ebay before the change. 

My best explanation is that ebay is set up for larg(er) sellers. If you are a power seller and meet their guidelines, you will get discounts on final value fees (20 percent) and discounts on shipping through the USPS deal with ebay. Most of the time with the shipping discount, I end up slightly ahead on my shipping charges.

If pays to meet the guidelines for a bronze power seller.

This. 

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

ebay lied when they said they were doing it to level the field and to stop overcharging on shipping to avoid fees

they said they wanted to lower costs for the buyer and improve the buyer experience

if that is what they were concerned with they would have stopped the overcharges,this could have been very easily done with software, but they saw an opportunity to use the lie to encourage and indeed make it a must for all honest sellers RAISE the  shipping costs to the buyer wjhether it is stated as free shipping or not 

they used the lie so they could collect even more money,than if they would have stopped the abusive sellers.that is the bottom line.period 

free shipping does not work for heavier items that wont go flat rate,why should a very close buyer get hosed ?

ebay discriminates against top rated sellers like myself who cannot use free shipping because they do not have a way to show the cost to international buyers for one thing.on a heavy item my buyers want to see the calculated cost of shipping,they realize "free shipping" is a hoax and a lie as well

i am a top rated power selller and get the 20% discount on some fees but not on the shipping cost fee, i only would if it was an item with  "free shipping" which on my many calculated shipping cost items,just jacks up the cost for any but the furthest distance buyers,THIS IS WHAT EBAY WANTS ,THIS IS WHAT THE LIE IS

and the many international buyers cannot see a seperate price with calculated shipping,if my item is listed as free shipping

and the other thing if a buyer overpays on shipping ebay makes it very difficult to get shipping fee money back the money they have STOLEN FROM MY BUYER after i issue a partial shipping rebate/refund 

MY SIGNATURE:

you asked for it, you got it !!
a pathologically lying, criminally racist potus 😞

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

With hundreds of thousands of different items listed here, each with different weights and sizes, and each carrier having different rates, classes of service, discount levels, and requirements for mailing, and including a seller's actual handling expenses such as tape, boxes, and so on, with all of those being priced differently, exactly what software could eBay use to determine whether or not shipping is excessive?  Even if such software existed, who would determine what is reasonable and what is excessive?

I frequently sell video game consoles with free shipping, on my TRS selling ID.  They aren't light.  They don't fit into any flat rate box.  And my international customers can all see the shipping charges to their country.  It isn't hard to list free domestic shipping, while charging for international.

Whether or not you believe that eBay lied when they changed the fee structure is irrelevant.  The fee has been in place for 3 years; and isn't going away.  Get over it.

eBay has never issued partial fee credits.  It's all or nothing.  If you look here, http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/credits.html , you'll see that there are only 3 reasons eBay will issue a final value fee credit.  None of those include giving the buyer a partial refund.

When they started the TRS program and the fee discounts, they were very clear that these discounts would only apply to the item price portion of the final value fee.

Belive whatever you want to.  The choice to continue selling here or not, is yours.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@billy_biggle_fan wrote:

With hundreds of thousands of different items listed here, each with different weights and sizes, and each carrier having different rates, classes of service, discount levels, and requirements for mailing, and including a seller's actual handling expenses such as tape, boxes, and so on, with all of those being priced differently, exactly what software could eBay use to determine whether or not shipping is excessive?  Even if such software existed, who would determine what is reasonable and what is excessive?

I frequently sell video game consoles with free shipping, on my TRS selling ID.  They aren't light.  They don't fit into any flat rate box.  And my international customers can all see the shipping charges to their country.  It isn't hard to list free domestic shipping, while charging for international.

Whether or not you believe that eBay lied when they changed the fee structure is irrelevant.  The fee has been in place for 3 years; and isn't going away.  Get over it.

eBay has never issued partial fee credits.  It's all or nothing.  If you look here, http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/credits.html , you'll see that there are only 3 reasons eBay will issue a final value fee credit.  None of those include giving the buyer a partial refund.

When they started the TRS program and the fee discounts, they were very clear that these discounts would only apply to the item price portion of the final value fee.

Belive whatever you want to.  The choice to continue selling here or not, is yours.

photo applause.gif
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@picketfencefinds wrote:

the really big sellers probably negotiate special deals with eBay in regards to shipping and other fees aready.

PFF, I would assume you mean big sellers negotiate a preferred % rate to pay eBay on S&H?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 25 of 28
latest reply

No, I don't think that is what is meant.  There are very large B&M stores who also sell through eBay, and let's just say they move $100K or more in merchandise a month.  They are large enough to negotiate a preferential contract that may mean they pay 6% instead of 9% or 10% of the total transaction to eBay.  

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Its a rip-off. I sold an item, the buyer and I decided to meet to do the exchange. I refunded the shipping charge he paid for, then noticed ebay charged me $3 for shipping fees. I never even shipped the darn thing. There is no way that I knew that the in person exchange was going to happen until AFTER the auction ended. I can't even email anybody at ebay to complain. Ebay and paypal are raking in the dough with their ridiculous fees. 

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

@widget14  Hi, widget...the next time you are unsure of what to do as a seller, come here to the Part Time eBay Sellers Group and ask for advice.  Since you didn't know that the buyer wanted to pick the item up until after the auction ended, how do you expect eBay to know that you didn't ship your item ~ that is why you have been charged.  If you had set your listing up to include "local pickup" and the buyer had selected that option, there would have been no FVFs, and btw, for the exposure that eBay provides, the selling fees are really quite reasonable. 

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 28 of 28
latest reply