cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I refuse to sell to someone with low feedback?

It seems like whenever I list an electronics/computer item over $100, I get people using Buy It Now who have 0 feedback...some with unconfirmed Paypal addresses, and/or living overseas (even though I have in the listing to only ship to the USA).   I'm sure most of these are scammers and trying to figure out how to protect myself better.

This one person just bought two of my cameras (two of the same one for some reason).  They only have (2) feedback and one of them is from two days ago.   The Paypal address is confirmed, but I'm still nervous to ship to them.   They could just say that the camera is broken or I shipped them a box of rocks or anything. I've heard that ebay always sides with the buyer in these situations but don't know from experience.

Can I put something in my listings like "I can only sell this item to someone who has an ebay feedback history at least 3 months long and at least 10 positive feedback"   Or is that against ebay rules.

I am stressing out about what do with these cameras and just wanted to get some advice.  Thanks !

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

What do you suggest as an alternative platform for selling older car electronics?
Message 31 of 58
latest reply

What platform do you suggest instead?

(Found this thread because I have a 0 feedback buyer and just have that gut feeling...)

Message 32 of 58
latest reply

I'm in the same boat...

I have a Zero feedback winner whose one and only bid won my $500.00+ item (he/she just opened an ebay account 4 days prior to my auction end date ), I did an address check online... comes back to an entirely different name (apparently the couple who own the address have lived there for 10+ years)...

Well, you get the picture. I'm extremely concerned with selling my item to this bidder and ending up with no money and no item. EBay needs to BUCK UP and protect buyers as well!!!!! Oh, and giving buyers 30 days... That's stupid crazy! If the buyer receives an item, 48 hours is plenty of time to make an assessment of the item! Holding my funds for 30 days and then making a refund to buyer 30 days out?!!! That's rediculous!!!

Message 33 of 58
latest reply

I'd approach this advice with extreme caution.  I have successfully sued  an e-bay sellers who refuse to complete on an auction that I have won.  By creating parameters that allow them to bid and then keeping that bid to conclusion - in most countries, the second the hammer comes down - you have created a legally binding contract and if you refuse to complete - you are in breach of contract  If you have not protected your sale with a reserve - you could end up liable for the full market value of the item you are selling regardless of how likely you are to realize that money for it.

Now there are some things that go in your favor.  First is that ebay does not give a **bleep** about you or the buyer.  Ebay wants your money, only your money, and cares about nothing else but getting to that money.  So for a buyer to get your ebay records is going to be incredibly difficult even when they sue and subpoena your records.   The sanctions for forcing a court to decide whether or not ebay has to provide your records are very low (a few thousand dollars at most) - so ebay are willing to take that gamble.  BUT, if someone is serious about recovering - they will get those records.  If you have a history of not completing on auctions - it will go very badly for you.

Secondly - as you probably already know - Ebay's "feedback" system is an enormous joke.  Ebay routinely removes negative feedback left for both buyers and sellers alike. They do this regardless of the circumstances.  For example - in my case - Ebay removed feedback I left for a seller who ripped me off.  The seller told ebay I had tried to blackmail them and sent an email with a counteroffer as proof).  I immediately called ebay and had their appeals supervisor confirm that they had made their decision based on that  and that they clearly could see that that email was just a counter offer and that the seller had intentionally lied.  Not only did they not take ANY action against the seller, they said they could not reinstate my negative feedback because their system did not allow it.  They suggested I report the item - so they could take action against the seller.  This is a typical ebay fob off when they don't want to deal with anything.  I sued the seller and won.  She still trades on ebay with 100% positive feedback - but now she has a civil judgment recorded against her.

Ebay need to have things in place such as a seller ability to fully restrict the people who can bid on your product. but they won't do it because they never have to be actionable when purchases go wrong.  They can just say "hey, we just the auction site - take it up with buyer/seller" and carry on reaming people for billions.

A good example is high-value items.  I ONLY use amazon or another reputable store for an items over my floor limit of $300 (the maximum I am willing to "lose" and not fight legally to recover). Ebay ha ZERO control over shill bidding and pretty much every ebay sellers out their running an auction shill bids.  Ebay should have an ability for buyers to look up only items where the seller has forbidden anyone with under, say, 100% postiive feedback X 100.  This makes more sense for high value items.  So that would mean that if I want to bid on a Gibson Les Paul with no reserve - I can select only those guitars where the buyer has restricted bids to people with only 100 or more 100% feedback.  Look at any high value auction and you will see one bidder with ZERO feedback whose only bid in the past 6 months has been on the item you are bidding on.  Worse - you can also see when they have retracted bids - and shill bidders will push the price up to beat the highest bid, then use retract that bid and use a second account to bid right up to just below that highest bid amount to force the price right up.  In the bids history - these will all be ZERO feedback accounts.  Sometimes ebay will confirm the bidder is in the same city/state as the seller - but most often - they will refuse to give you any detail.  

So- for all these reasons - you should not only consider selling on ebay carefully, but also buying on it and refusing to sell to someone with low feedback.  As sellers - if you refuse to sell unless ebay allows you to set who you will accept bids from - then ebay will have no option but to provide that.  And this would protected buyers and sellers alike.  Ebayers like myself are not above creating fake accounts purely for the purposes of sinking an auction - especially when we have been ripped off or when the seller is clearly shill bidding.  During covid - I know one ebayer who scoured ebay look for people trying to sell toilet paper, pet food and face masks etc at exorbitant rates and bid their item out using fake accounts - so it is super easy to do.

Message 34 of 58
latest reply

The advice provided by billy, who was a long term and respected member of the PT Group, was posted on 09-11-2012 at 04:37:12 AM and was relevant at that time. Since then, eBay has had more policy changes than a field mouse has fleas... it would prove more helpful to provide timely advice, without casting doubt on an eight year old post.

Welcome to the PT Group.

Message 35 of 58
latest reply

Apologies for the belated reply, I try to avoid eBay as much as possible so therefore I don't check this section of this convoluted, cumbersome-to-navigate, poorly designed website.

First, although many ethical sellers will suggest avoiding eBay for selling technical items, especially high cost technical items, some have also suggested selling locally, i.e. local pick up only, cash. We've cancelled our PayPal account and subscription due to chronic, questionable security and transactions (e.g. a substantial charge placed on PayPal for an item we never purchased nor submitted to PayPal for payment, which PayPal subsequently removed of their own volition, however, refused investigating for fraud - which could've/could had/have serious consequences regarding identity theft, financial fraud, etc. The list goes on of other issues). We have listed a Mac Pro desktop for local pick up ONLY, cash. Regardless of eBay's refusal to treat honest, ethical seller with fairness, we will still take photos nonetheless prior to selling, maybe even put those up on the listing.

Second, although obvious, eBay sellers should consider selling/buying media other than eBay, such as Craigslist. Caution with Craigslist. That media is also rife with frauds, scammers, risky transactions as well. For instance, when selling one of our other Mac Pros we had one prospective buyer starting off with an offensive, sarcastic, somewhat acerbic offer. Thinking that the buyer was attempting poor humor, we tried to lighten the communications with a little light humor and a counter-offer. Long story short, over a course of several communications with that buyer, attempting get him to calm down (e.g. "a computer is certainly not worth getting upset about", and so forth), his demeanor became threatening (literally stating he WILL "Kick my F**king a** you F**king F*got" and more) and vicious with violent overtones. We had to file a PD report since he was local and there could've been the possibility of escalating to a serious physical altercation should we in the rare chance meet one another somehow. We sent a USPS certified w/return receipt letters to Jim Buckmaster (Craig's CEO) and Craig Newmark (founder, "Customer Svc"). Both envelopes were refused by those individuals (so much for Newmark's alleged "customer service").

Summary: both media, eBay and Craigslist have their drawbacks. Ebay with its buyer fraud, buyer refund guarantee (sellers lose no matter what unless they go through excessive legal steps to appeal) and Craigslist with its frauds, scammers, possibly risky personal interactions and transactions. However, and I am not any more fond of Craigslist than eBay nor am I endorsing Craigslist in ANY way, with Craigslist the transactions DO involve personal interaction-transactions, preferably with cash and NO buyer protection for frauds to hide behind.

Nonetheless, IF using Craigslist or ANY selling media, still obtain detailed, numerous photos (including serial numbers if avail) as well as a detailed, itemized receipt for the transactions (thorough product description, serial number, items included/excluded, amount paid, type of payment, physical location of transaction, date and time of transaction, dated signature of both buyer and seller, with notes on the receipt stating that item is purchase as-is with no guarantees or warranties whether expressed or implied).

FINAL note: As many other sellers have suggested, never, NEVER sell a high-value, very expensive item (e.g. over $500 or more than you would feel comfortable losing) for shipping on eBay. Do NOT ship those items if using eBay but list for local pick up.

Message 36 of 58
latest reply

I agree with everyone above you can also cancel the item before payment is sent in situation like that especially for lingering Bill's. Unless they tell you they pay at a later day the it best to wait till  close till then and check in. Like they said you can fight back negative feedback so sometime be ready to justify it. Remember ebay has a 3 day pay minimums and a 2 day ship out afterwards minimums. So you can cancel during that time unless one side notify the other of a later date to do it an the opposite is oka with it.

Message 37 of 58
latest reply

Sellers have no protection from ebay!

Message 38 of 58
latest reply

doing this will not necessarily protect you. I’ve done this before and still was scammed by the buyer. Although the buyer admitted receiving the package l, the buyer claimed the box was empty upon arrival. It didn’t matter that my shipping receipt proved the box shipping weight was 20 lbs,  EBAY still sided with the Buyer because they EBAY leans mostly towards buyer protection. I lost robbed of my $400 product and sale due to email scammers and loopholes in the system. Nowadays it seems like the platform is flooded with more and more scammers. 

Message 39 of 58
latest reply

@aort5124 wrote:

doing this will not necessarily protect you. I’ve done this before and still was scammed by the buyer. Although the buyer admitted receiving the package l, the buyer claimed the box was empty upon arrival. It didn’t matter that my shipping receipt proved the box shipping weight was 20 lbs,  EBAY still sided with the Buyer because they EBAY leans mostly towards buyer protection. I lost robbed of my $400 product and sale due to email scammers and loopholes in the system. Nowadays it seems like the platform is flooded with more and more scammers. 

How much insurance did you have on your $400 product?  Did you actually have it insured?  Did you make an insurance claim?  It's entirely possible the box WAS empty when it got to your buyer, you have no way of knowing for sure one way or the other, just like your buyer has no way of knowing for sure whether you actually put the item in the box before you shipped it.  In that respect, it's a blind transaction on both ends.  I would NEVER sell any item more than 20-30 dollars and then ship it without insurance.  I would require insurance on the package, included in the shipping price, or add it in to your selling price if selling fixed price with free shipping.  Do not leave being scammed as a possibility. 

Message 40 of 58
latest reply

As for eBay always siding with the buyer, that is evident by eBay's 100% satisfaction to buyers. I noticed that, I can't remember where, on an eBay page and it made me think about the reports of buyer scams I read about.

Message 41 of 58
latest reply

I got a winning bid from somebody who has 0 feedback and made an account yesterday. I'm not comfortable with this. Should I cancel the order? What are the consequences of that. It's a $280 dollar item. I'm not a seller- like a business, just somebody trying to get rid of an old electronic that's already used and missing some parts. But I don't want to be scammed out of money I don't have.

Message 42 of 58
latest reply

It looks like you are not understanding this person's concern, which is: What if the buyer pays, and then lies about the condition of the item s/he received, or claims it was not what it was supposed to be (rocks instead of cameras).

Message 43 of 58
latest reply

Yikes, doesn't seem anything will go to the seller in these cases. 

I came here hoping for an answer to a similar issue.  In this case, the Buyer has a -2 feedback. 

Yes, that's right, a negative 2 feedback. He was a seller and a Buyer left 2 negative feedback responses. Both were over a year ago, likely more than 2 years ago based on what was being sold.  And it's the ONLY feedback the Buyer has. 

I routinely insure and ask for signature for items over $200 and this is over $350. 

Can I cancel based on a Negative  feedback total?

Message 44 of 58
latest reply

10 year old thread! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 45 of 58
latest reply