cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I refuse to sell to someone with low feedback?

It seems like whenever I list an electronics/computer item over $100, I get people using Buy It Now who have 0 feedback...some with unconfirmed Paypal addresses, and/or living overseas (even though I have in the listing to only ship to the USA).   I'm sure most of these are scammers and trying to figure out how to protect myself better.

This one person just bought two of my cameras (two of the same one for some reason).  They only have (2) feedback and one of them is from two days ago.   The Paypal address is confirmed, but I'm still nervous to ship to them.   They could just say that the camera is broken or I shipped them a box of rocks or anything. I've heard that ebay always sides with the buyer in these situations but don't know from experience.

Can I put something in my listings like "I can only sell this item to someone who has an ebay feedback history at least 3 months long and at least 10 positive feedback"   Or is that against ebay rules.

I am stressing out about what do with these cameras and just wanted to get some advice.  Thanks !

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

The better protection in this case is to list your high-dollar products as Buy-it-Now with Immediate payment required.  That way, the sale isn't complete, and the listing remains active, until the buyer actually pays.  Also, you can set your Buyer Requirements at their maximum levels for better protection.

To answer your question, yes, as a seller, you can refuse to sell to anyone.  However, minimum feedback requirements cannot be enforced.  And, those buyers can leave feedback which may negatively affect your account standing.

With every sale on eBay, there is the possibility of the buyer being a scammer.  And there is virtually no protection upfront against dishonest buyers (this is true in most of retail).  Fortunately 99% of all sales go just fine.  If you do get a buyer who scams by filing a case with eBay falsely stating that the package arrived empty, or whatever, there are steps that you can take to fight back.  If this occurs, just post the details on this board, and we'll be glad to walk you through the process of appealing and reporting.

Message 2 of 55
latest reply

Thank you for the reply. I do need to find that setting for "immediate payment required" and use it.  It seems like it disappeared on me at some point, but I"m not so concerned about fraudulent buyers not paying.  I'm more concerned with someone with 0 feedback scamming me and saying that the item arrived damaged or it was just a box of rocks or anything else.  I insure anything over $150, but not sure how much that would help.

From reading these boards, it seems like ebay sides with the buyer 100% of the time, no matter what, but perhaps that is not the case. I need to read more on here and try to learn how to protect myself as much as possible.  I appreciate the help.

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

I know eveyone has to start somewhere , but both bidders I have had with zero feedback have jerked me around and did not follow through with the purchase..

I only work so I can Hunt
Message 4 of 55
latest reply

I still see some listings that saw low feedback bidders have to contact the seller first. Years ago there were a lot more of those. I don't think it's really enforceable.

I have had mostly good luck with zero FB bidders. Most of them have paid, a few have not. The unpaid item assistant got my fees back for me on the ones who didn't.

Message 5 of 55
latest reply

Again I'm not worried about them not paying.  When that happens, I usually get my final value fee back, so that's fine.  I"m only concerned about them ripping me off....receiving the item and then trying to get their payment back through some scamming ways.

Message 6 of 55
latest reply

Again I'm not worried about them not paying.  When that happens, I usually get my final value fee back, so that's fine.  I"m only concerned about them ripping me off....receiving the item and then trying to get their payment back through some scamming ways.

The point of having the Immediate Payment Required option is that it forces buyers to have their ducks in a row before they commit to purchasing your item.

This means they can't communicate with you after the sale to say they want the item sent to a different address (say, to Nigeria) than what's on file, nor can they try asking for your email address so they can send a fake PayPal payment notification to it.

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

I guess I am looking at it from the sellers point of view, but I always pay ASAP usually within a few hours...

I only work so I can Hunt
Message 8 of 55
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

I guess I am looking at it from the sellers point of view, but I always pay ASAP usually within a few hours...

True that, unless I am not at home, I pay for

my wins within minutes of the auction's end.

Message 9 of 55
latest reply

I know some people scam but you have to trust people at some point.  I really believe there's more decent people on Ebay then crooks even though you only read about the problems on the boards.

Just because someone doesn't have a ton of feedback doesn't mean they're scam artists. 

Yes everyone can share their horror stories but if it was that bad then why even sell here?

I've had several transactions from buyers with limited feedback and they've gone fine as well as some with tons of feedback who turned out to be trouble.

Everyone needs to do what they think is best but I like to give people the opportunity to prove me right, not make assumptions based on limited or no feedback.

Just my opinion and yes I've been burned but not enough to not trust people yet.

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

Im new to selling and have run into a scammer. I sold a fully functional used electronic item and the buyer recieved item and a couple days later stated he wanted a refund because the item doesnt work. I declined to refund as I know for a fact it was working. What do i do now? Am I out the money and going to now receive a broken item back that I cant sell?
Message 11 of 55
latest reply

@jerryray970

If they opened a SNAD ( not as described case)
Respond with return and then refund.. Do not refund the money until you receive the item back.
They are protected by eBay!
Come back and let us know if what you sent is was what you received back!

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 12 of 55
latest reply

That has happened to me twice. Once for $300 worth of Mary Kay cosmetics. The buyer claimed that every piece of makeup was broken and demanded her money back. She refused to send the package back and ebay still refunded them. Had another buyer claim the item was not as described. Lucikly ebay sided with me on that one, but I was burned twice by people claiming they didn't get their item. I've learned the hard way to get their signature for expensive items!

Message 13 of 55
latest reply

@onceuponaresale wrote:

That has happened to me twice. Once for $300 worth of Mary Kay cosmetics. The buyer claimed that every piece of makeup was broken and demanded her money back. She refused to send the package back and ebay still refunded them. Had another buyer claim the item was not as described. Lucikly ebay sided with me on that one, but I was burned twice by people claiming they didn't get their item. I've learned the hard way to get their signature for expensive items!

Good reminder, that the additional $5.00 for delivery signature for more costly items (or, that is, costly for eBay shoppers) is a good investment and protection.

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

I only wish this were true. I sold completely legitimate items straight from the supplier (from TWO COMPLETELY SEPARATE ORDERS over completely different periods of time) and the buyer claimed they were not only fake but altered by me (the one item would have been physically impossible to alter). She ended up with both of the items AND a refund, thanks to the advice of eBay, and I ended up with a beaten down Feedback Score after many years of 100%. This was not an expensive transaction, thankfully, but I was told by eBay on the phone when fighting this case that there are actually only 4 reasons they will change feedback at all (they list many more online! I cited several "rules" the buyer had broken but they do not enforce them!); eBay sides with the buyer in every case I have encountered and others I know have encountered and I have to admit there are items I'd love to list but I am honestly just too afraid to do so because of these scammers. eBay simply needs to enforce the rules they state and HOLD BUYERS ACCOUNTABLE; there is usually some pretty clear evidence that someone IS a scammer / has pulled things like this before - in the above case there was with me - I really do not understand why eBay doesn't stand on the side of the sellers in this regard. At any rate, I was wondering the same question - I have seen people state on listings that they will not take bids/etc. from someone with under x feedback scores ... but that still leaves the door open for someone to leave you nasty feedback.

Message 15 of 55
latest reply