cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to cancel after sale

Someone bought an item 3 days ago. It was not until today that I heard from them and it was a message asking me to cancel the sale. Their reason for wanting to cancel is because they are new to ebay and didn't read the item description correctly, it was a purse that I was selling and with my details and pictures, it was pretty straight forward.

My question...do I cancel and let them off the hook, if so, how do I do that? 

There were other bidders and this person put in more than 1 bid to win the auction.

Thanks

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Buyer wants to cancel after sale

Just cancel...make sure you email them and tell them they must agree to terms.

At least this sounds legit....they didn't read...much better than "my dog bid".

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Hi LucysTime and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

My question...do I cancel and let them off the hook, if so, how do I do that? 

You can cancel the transaction by following the info here.> http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

You can try to recover the sale by offering a SCO (Second Chance Offer) to the next lower bidder.> http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/second_chance_offer.html

Hope this helps!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

they bid a buck over your listing price

they were not high bidder

they bid again

now they were high bidder at 3 bucks over your listing price....

& it took them 3 days to contact you after winning with the excuse that they didn't read it description correctly   ????????????????

YA RIGHT !!!!!!!!

Sometimes even a believable excuse..................is just buyer remorse   !!

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Whatever the reason why a buyer comes up with to get out of a sale its much easier to cancell the sale and move on with life than it is to argue it with someone who has already decided they don't want the item.  if they go on and pay there is nothing stopping them from filing an item not as discribed and winning not to mention forcing someone to buy something they decided they don't want can be very bad for your seller rating.  I have had several of these remorse buyers who wanted to cancell , reasons like my paypal is messed up is one  of their favorite excuses, but also their dog, kid , husband , neighbor or some they don't know bid and won it by hacking their account.  Its just easier and less stress to cancell and move on with life.  🙂  Good news is if you had a backup bidder you can still get it sold fast. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Wise words kilnntime - and a good idea even with fixed price where you can't have an underbidder.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for your responses.

I did cancel the sale and now just waiting for the person to respond.

If they do not respond, what then?

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

If they don't respond in 7 days, eBay will cancel the sale and refund your FVFs.

smiley candle photo: candle candlef.gifFounding member of the Pack of Disgruntled Failures.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

While unsure, as I've never had to, I believe seller has to go to their Resolution Center and close it.> http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

The buyer has up to 7 days to respond to your case. If you haven't heard back after 7 days, you can close the case and you'll receive a final value fee credit.

On the 61st day after the end of the transaction, if you haven't closed your case, eBay automatically closes it and you do not receive a final value fee credit.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Sorry, you're correct.  You have to manually close it. 

I meant to say eBay would let you close it and refund your FVFs.

smiley candle photo: candle candlef.gifFounding member of the Pack of Disgruntled Failures.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I request my order cancel
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@surendasur_0  No one from eBay is here to cancel your order.  You will have to contact your seller and ask if they will cancel your order.  Find the item in your Purchase History, select the "other options" tab and select, "contact seller"

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I just cancel them and go on and relist
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

It happened to me. I hate it.  Woman told me daughter didnt like it because hoodie was the right style. I asked her what her daughter actually likes and she gave me specific details of the hoodie that her daughter was looking for. Guess what? luckily I had another item matching those specific so I offered her that second option for her daughter and then she told me her daughter didnt like it. At that point I was "what the ef your daughter likes? " She wanted to cancel because she didn't like at first then I got the matching item to her daughter's  request and she still wanted to cancel because the daughter didn't like it neither. So annoying. Ebay should do something about it and protect Sellers better.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Ebayer won bid for my car but has declined sale through lack of funds ,

ebay have since charged me  fee for selling item so I'm a loser both ways as ebay and there buyer are both winners ,Wht?

Message 15 of 18
latest reply