cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best offer thoughts

Hi,  I've been selling for about a year now.  Still more of a hobby and I'm still learning so I'd appreciate some advice on Best Offers. 

I normally only list using auctions and I've noticed my sell through the last few months has dropped about 15% compared to the same months last year.  I've been wondering what kind of success people have had with best offers?  I sell a little bit of everything but mostly vintage and I like buying stuff under the list price like most people even though there are times I still overpay because I like it. 

I know what my break even point is, as well as my breaking point but that's a different story.

I tried posting this on Seller Central but evidently know one feels like responding yet so I thought I'd give this group a shot.

I appreciate any suggestions.  I'll also take suggestions on my listings if anyone wants to critique them and who doesn't like to do that!

Take care,

PK

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Best offer thoughts

Although I don't offer OBO in my auctions, I am a little worried about trying it. I have gotten some offers on auctions from very persistant potential buyers. I have always politely declined as a matter of my policy because I don't want to **bleep** off someone who wants what I have to sell and feels insulted when I personally refuse to sell it for less (or end an auction in their favor for their price). They may go ahead and buy or win the item and reflect their frustration via feedback.

——————————————o00o——°(_)°——o00o————————————————

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

First time here after 17 years as a seller on eBay. One things for certain on eBay is it's always changing. If you haven't noticed yet eBay now has their system set up to automatically add "best offer" to all your fixed price sales ads. And they now go so far as to automatically setting those best offer price parameters themselves. If a customer looks at your item and makes an offer within those parameters then your item gets sold automatically no matter the fixed price that you had it set at. I've called eBay and they say it's a change that eBay corporate  made a couple weeks ago and they can't override it. I went through all 66 of my ads yesterday and removed their price parameters but eBay had changed them back today. I've now removed all my eBay sales ads. How dare they set their own prices on my fixed price items? "Or best offer" setting has been hijacked by eBay libtards and I don't give a dam if they close my account. 

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

First time here after 17 years as a seller on eBay. One things for certain on eBay is it's always changing. If you haven't noticed yet eBay now has their system set up to automatically add "best offer" to all your fixed price sales ads. And they now go so far as to automatically setting those best offer price parameters themselves. If a customer looks at your item and makes an offer within those parameters then your item gets sold automatically no matter the fixed price that you had it set at. I've called eBay and they say it's a change that eBay corporate  made a couple weeks ago and they can't override it. I went through all 66 of my ads yesterday and removed their price parameters but eBay had changed them back today. I've now removed all my eBay sales ads. How dare they set their own prices on my fixed price items? "Or best offer" setting has been hijacked by eBay libtards and I don't give a dam if they close my account. 

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

@georgialead

Are you referring to the make offer on auction listings?

If so and happened between oct 8th - 10th, you will receive an email about the mess. 

They are going to be testing in a couple weeks on small volume sellers per an employee on the boards.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Yes I am. On the phone Ebay said nothing to me about a test. They said it was a ebay change made at the top two weeks ago and no one there could override it. Obo should be my choice but when ebay enters in their own obo price they've gone to far. Btw when setting up my ads the obo option was no where to be found in the settings where it normally would have been. I price my items very low to begin with offering free priority shipping. Will someone please let me know when they've come to their senses so I can relist my 66 items?

Message 35 of 35
latest reply