cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16% TOTAL FEES. CRAZY. I AM DONE

KEPT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY WERE BILLING ME FOR SO MUCH MONEY UNTIL I TALKED TO THEM. EBAY IS FLEECING ALL OF US SELLERS EXCEPT THE BUYERS. AT 16% TO SELL AN ITEM IS CRAZY. WE NEED SOME COMPETITION FOR EBAY. COME ON RICH PEOPLE STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND OPEN UP AN AUCTION SITE. YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU. I AM DONE WITH EBAY WHEN IT COMES TO SELLING. IN THESE DIFFICULT ECONOMIC TIMES EBAY IS NOT HELPING AT ALL. JUST PLAIN PATHETIC.

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: 16% TOTAL FEES. CRAZY. I AM DONE

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@kayleeisawesome1981 wrote:

I AGREE. I AM A STAY-AT-HOME MOM WHO IS DISABLED AND THE EBAY FEES ARE EATING ME ALIVE. WE SHOULD BOYCOTT THIS. THIS IS ROBBING FROM THE POOR. I AM DONE WITH EBAY FOR NOW.

Let's see:

1) You're selling clothing, the #1 most oversaturated and competitive category on eBay.

2) Most of your items get only one bid and sell for $1 to $5.

3) You charge $3 to $5 for shipping.

If eBay were absolutely free, what would your profit have been for the past three months (289 sales)? Have you considered bundling some of those cheap items into lots? Are you using a PayPal micropayments account for those cheap listings? Have you done anything to adjust to the fee structure that's been in place since 2011?

@kayleeisawesome1981  I am not being rude, but further to thatsall's list above...

4) the fact that you are a stay at home mom and disabled is irrelevent. We all pay the same fees, which are clearly outlined for all to see. It's a simple case of read the menu before you order something you can't, or don't want to pay for. Your decission to be done with eBay is a good thing. Good luck going forward.

Message 46 of 62
latest reply

The problem with this (rather pompous) response is that is assumes everyone on eBay is trying to flip items. Not everyone is buying things just to sell them. Some of us are cleaning house, so to speak. These are items that we've had for years, but no longer want/need.

I think the outrage comes from the idea of eBay, who is nothing more than the platform, taking 10% of your item's value, 10% of the shipping fee, etc... Why? That's pretty high, considering they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. In many cases, you could easily sell your stuff on LetGo, OfferUp, Craigslist, or any number of other similar small-time sites, who AREN'T going to take ANY of your money.
In the case of collectibles, it's actually even easier. Let's use Transformers as an example. There are numerous Transformers fan sites, and every one of them has a buy/sell/trade forum, where everyone there knows exactly what the figures are worth, and don't have to worry about fees.

I think the fees are more or less reasonable, as well. I think the problem people have is A.) they used to be lower, B.) back in the day they took it straight out of your payments for the items you sold, so you never even saw that money. Now they send you an invoice every month. It's kind of a dick move, honestly.
I've hardly sold anything this month, but just got a $50 invoice the other day. I'm good for it, but **bleep**, there goes a family movie night, you know?

When all's said and done, the fees should be a bit lower, given the level of service actually provided (customer service is officially MIA, so remind me again what I'm paying fees for?), and they should go back to just taking their cut directly from the payments.

Just my two cents (or 50, lol).
Message 47 of 62
latest reply

Exactly. EBay has gotten too big for their own good, so now they can pretty much do what they want and get away with it.
This is my second account. My first got suspended due to a very impatient buyer. Hundreds of transactions, 100% positive feedback, until one guy decided he didn't like his end of a deal...
Point is, I've been on and off of eBay since about 2004-2005, and you're right, they used to charge FAR less, AND do you remember when they took their cut up front? No monthly invoices, they already had their money as soon as an item was paid for.

I miss those days.
Message 48 of 62
latest reply

Sure they do nothing... they only provide you with the largest platform on the entire internet to sell on... that's nothing. THEY bring you that huge audience of potential customers. THEY buy the ads that you see on TV and hear on Radio and see in magazines. THEY pay for the server fees and the customer service personnel (which yes, many times are very frustrating to talk to for various reasons)... there's NO way any of us could provide that at even TEN times what eBay charges us. Do I like the higher fees? No, but that's the trade off for not having to pay upfront for listings anymore. eBay was a LOT better for sellers when we all had to pay for each listing, whether it sold or not. Lots less china/junk sellers, and a lot more fun atmosphere. There are very few platforms where you can go and have as large an audience or as many real buyers. Reverb, if you sell guitar related stuff, has been better for me, than eBay. However, with things like instrument mouthpieces and non-guitar related music stuff, it doesn't have even remotely as much traffic as eBay does, and it's one of the better non-eBay marketplaces. Ebay is far from perfect, and I don't like it in many ways now as well as I did in the "good old days" when I had to pay for every listing, because nearly every listing sold in those days... now, traffic is down to a degree, and buyers down as well, but that's as much to blame on our economy being essentially flat for the last 10-12 years or more as much as it is anything else.
Message 49 of 62
latest reply

12 months paid 3000 in fees. Open a store save .85%. At 19.95 month for a store its a loose. Ebay makes more money than me at 15% no work. The fees are crazy.

Message 50 of 62
latest reply

@hd-parts wrote:

12 months paid 3000 in fees. Open a store save .85%. At 19.95 month for a store its a loose. Ebay makes more money than me at 15% no work. The fees are crazy.

Right, "no work", LOL. If they did no work, would you have sold $30k worth of stuff online? If the answer is yes, why are you here?

BTW, .85% savings on $3,000 in fees isn't a loss. And the vast majority of store subscribers do it for the free listings, not for the .85%.

Message 51 of 62
latest reply

Not .85 on 3000. Fees are 10% no store , 9.15 w store. Is not worth 20 a month on sales to open a store.

Unless you have a serious markup.

And correct No Work. 

What does ebay do ? Hands on work.

Message 52 of 62
latest reply

Yes, I know. You paid 9.15% instead of 10%. If you paid $3,000 with the store, you would have paid $3,278 without the store, so you saved $278 by paying $239 for a store. It doesn't appear that the additional free listings were useful to you. How about the shipping supplies coupons? Any other store benefits?

Message 53 of 62
latest reply

You have it backwards. No store paid 3000 @ 10% plus the mystery charges. Comes out to about 15 % total fees via Ebay.  Rip Off

They make more than me ...LOL ...

Lets not mention the way they temporarily hold your money when someone complains,  and all the time wasted talking to Idiots from Ebay Support.

Not to mention that I am forced to use PAYPAL instead of my merchant provider.

They have you by the short hairs...

Message 54 of 62
latest reply

What mystery charges. 10% fees on total. Item and shipping.
Or the 9.15% or less with store.
?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 55 of 62
latest reply

@hd-parts wrote:

@You have it backwards. No store paid 3000 @ 10% plus the mystery charges. Comes out to about 15 % total fees via Ebay.  Rip Off 

Fine, then with a store (costing $240/year), you would have paid $2745 in fees ($255 less).

If you can't make it work, then looking elsewhere is the correct business decision.

Message 56 of 62
latest reply

My personal Ebay financial advisor.
Thank You

When I want your opinion I will give it too you.
Please keep to the topic.

16% is way too high and should be a crime for charging that much.

I think you need a life.

Good Buy.

Message 57 of 62
latest reply

@hd-parts wrote:

My personal Ebay financial advisor.
Thank You

When I want your opinion I will give it too you.
Please keep to the topic.

And the topic is: Fees.

If the fees are too high, a good business person searches for a place with lower fees.

Message 58 of 62
latest reply

@hd-parts wrote:

16% is way too high and should be a crime for charging that much.

I think you need a life.

Good Buy.

Well, since YOU started with the snarky attitude, HD.... sheesh, where to start.  You cannot POSSIBLY think that charging a 16% fee is a crime?  If so, you better NEVER buy tickets for ANY event through Ticketmaster.  Or buy any clothes from a mall, who makes more close to 300-400% profit margin on their items in a typical mall store.  Yeah, 16% is a REAL crime when you actually signed up for AND agreed to that rate when you put up a listing.....

Message 59 of 62
latest reply

People like you are the reason for crazy fees, corprations and government ripping people off in evry way they can and you are defending them, perhaps you work for ebay or somehow you get paid.

Message 60 of 62
latest reply