cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: Updates to item specifics and category structures

We’re rolling out new item specifics in some categories to help listings match what buyers are searching for. We’re also updating a few category structures and item specifics names—all to help customers find your listings on and off eBay. You can read more about that here. Feel free to review and leave any questions you may have below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 4.13.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Please make it easier to to avoid gender binary in listing items of clothing for sale. 

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

What does the (R) in the LEGO categories mean?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 47
latest reply

Avoid?  Are you forced to pick one or the requirement to place it into a top level "Mens"?

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

"We’re also working with industry experts to refresh how we structure some categories, and how we describe some item specifics within those categories, to reflect ecommerce trends."  I sure hope this is for the postcard category, because  there was no effort to work with postcard experts when you came up with Item Specifics.   You paid zero attention to postcard eras, terminology, etc that have been established for over 100 years.  I'll be waiting for your call to assist you with fixing this category.  

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

New item specifics:  Home And Garden - which sub-categories are due for newly required item specifics or is every sub-category under the main Home And Garden category affected?   

The main categories stated in the announcement that are due for newly required item specifics contain literally hundreds of sub-categories.  It would be helpful to know which sub-categories will be affected so sellers can plan ahead and schedule time to update their listings.

Thanks for sharing this pertinent information.

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

Very helpful for sellers love it!!!

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

Good one! These days nonbinary should certainly be considered across the board. The same follows for Bags, such as weekenders, there isn't even an unisex option available when you end up having to use a main category for female, or for Male, even if that is a 2nd category listing you are charged for. That isn't even a nonbinary issues at heart, just one, of the many, issues in the categories. From what I see, none of the ones that have been a consistent problem for me have been addressed.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

just recently finished updating newly required item specifics from previous update, and correcting incorrect category assignments for revised categories. Now it's going to start all over again?

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

Are you EVER going to fix the Parts Compatibility to be more accurate?  I have been messaging (without getting an answer/seeing a change) ever since Parts Compatibility was introduced (10 years?).

Example #1:

Buick has been one of the largest producers of cars for EVERY SINGLE YEAR since 1909.  Yet the only years Buick shows up in Parts Compatibility before 1930 are: 1909, 1910, 1913, 1920 and 1928.  31 years they produced cars, yet you show only 5 of those years.

Topping that off, for 1928, you show only one model - Standard.  Buick had three distinctive models in 1925-1929.  I've had several parts that I've listed which fit the Master models, but do NOT fit the Standard model.  As a result, I can not use Compatibility to help sell my part.

Example #2:

Chevrolet.  Why is the 1940 Master Deluxe Passenger car model not in Compatibility?  All you have for the Passenger models is Master 85 and Special Deluxe.  Chevrolet had 3 Passenger models for 1940, not 2.

Also, there is a listing for a 1940 Chevrolet model KP (ostensibly a truck model).  That model designation does not exist.  However, a KE model (3/4 Ton HD truck) DOES exist and is NOT in Compatibility.  Did someone "mis-hear" a correct letter when building the Compatibility?

1939 and 1941 Chevrolet also have similar mistakes for offerings in Compatibility.   1946 - 1952 listings for trucks list model names not used by Chevrolet as specific model names, but as nomenclature generalizations for ALL trucks.  Those non-specific listings then lead nowhere when you try to pick the Trim level.  Conversely, the general "Truck" model, DOES mostly have the correct listings when you get to Trim level.  The generalization nomenclatures serve for nothing other than to confuse.

Example #3:

Why are there listings for a Torpedo model for Pontiacs all the way up through 1953?  The last model Pontiac called a Torpedo was in 1948.  That name did not exist in Pontiac from 1949 - 1953.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many, many other examples of inconsistency - either incorrect additions, garbled nomenclature, terribly insufficient nomenclature or outright omissions.

Years ago, I did talk to someone who supposedly was on the team in charge of Compatibility, and was told that you hired the listings done from a "reputable" company.  My comment at the time (which still stands) is that you certainly did not get your money's worth.

All this is brought up because item specifics go hand-in-hand with Compatibility (and vice versa)  in offering the most important features of any item to a Buyer.  If one is incorrect or omitted, the Buyer is still lacking possibly important information that the Seller might be able to supply, if only given the opportunity.

If you should choose to have someone from the team in charge of Compatibility contact me, I would be happy to supply a list of pertinent changes to dozens of car manufacturers in Compatibility to make things more complete and accurate, as I have 50 years in the antique car business.  And I'd supply the information  free of charge.

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

Have to say that I am disappointed that none of the flawed changes have been addressed! Outside of the lack of a unisex option for bags, I feel there are another couple gleaming errors for my offerings.

In Heath & Beauty, skincare sets, anti-aging set & makeup sets all require a single "type" and the types do not include any sorts of "sets". I offer a lot of sets which include a range of products, or some that are simply Discovery Sets for a specific brand or other breakouts that are beyond being a single product or product type. For example, a 'travel set" might include a face wash, toner, serum, cream, etc. So being forced to select one type does not reflect the categories of Sets!

I would be thrilled if there was at least a generic "set/kit" option offered. 

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

New item specifics:  Home And Garden - which sub-categories are due for newly required item specifics or is every sub-category under the main Home And Garden category affected?   

The main categories stated in the announcement that are due for newly required item specifics contain literally hundreds of sub-categories.  It would be helpful to know which sub-categories will be affected so sellers can plan ahead and schedule time to update their listings.

Thanks for sharing this pertinent information.

@b86fiero Details for which categories will be changed on May 17th can be found here. You can download the PDF or CSV files from that page. 

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

@cinsational4sale wrote:

Have to say that I am disappointed that none of the flawed changes have been addressed! Outside of the lack of a unisex option for bags, I feel there are another couple gleaming errors for my offerings.

In Heath & Beauty, skincare sets, anti-aging set & makeup sets all require a single "type" and the types do not include any sorts of "sets". I offer a lot of sets which include a range of products, or some that are simply Discovery Sets for a specific brand or other breakouts that are beyond being a single product or product type. For example, a 'travel set" might include a face wash, toner, serum, cream, etc. So being forced to select one type does not reflect the categories of Sets!

I would be thrilled if there was at least a generic "set/kit" option offered. 

There are currently dedicated Health and Beauty for Sets and Kits categories like you're referring to @cinsational4sale and it's not something that will be changed in this update. Here is an example of the category thread to get to sets: Health & Beauty [26395] > Skin Care [11863] > Sets & Kits [67500]. We hope that helps and appreciate the additional feedback regarding unisex options. 

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

I am encouraged greatly and appreciate it so much that you guys are working within the site to make items more findable for buyers here rather than just increasing fees with ads alone so merchandise can be found among the billions of items for sale. This is an extremely seller focused and helpful way to make things better for sellers on here. I applaud you!!!

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

For Toys, what is considered as a figurine?

I have several plush dolls, mostly from the Sesame Street and Muppets lines.

And do puzzles remain the same, or are they in a different category?

Message 15 of 47
latest reply