cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPR France- US

Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) legislation is part of a Europe-wide initiative to protect the environment by improving waste management, limiting the use of landfills, and stimulating innovation in recycling. These measures make sellers responsible for the entire life cycle of their products. You can learn more about that here, feel free to review and post any questions you may have below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards today the 28th through Friday the 30th.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

EPR France- US

From October 1, 2022 we will take action on listings that don’t comply with the regulations, including paying the ‘eco-participation fee’ on your behalf and invoicing it back to you, as mentioned in our User Agreement update in August.

2 DAY NOTICE???????????????

business sellers who sell in, or into, France,

When the German requirements went into effect, Griff (on a podcast) stated that US Business sellers, using GSP, were not affected.......they would not have to register individually.........  Business sellers are defined differently in the US versus Europe......

True for France?

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

Are we able to opt out of shipping to France because that is just way to much and honestly in the past 6 years I think I have sold only two items that shipped to France .

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

@revivaltiger-4 wrote:

Are we able to opt out of shipping to France because that is just way to much and honestly in the past 6 years I think I have sold only two items that shipped to France .

Hey @revivaltiger-4! Sellers can opt out of shipping to countries such as France in your shipping preferences. 

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

Thank you . I will do that today as I don’t want to be out of compliance unknowingly and I don’t sell much there anyways . 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

How does this work with Ebay's new international shipping service or Global Shipping Program? If we don't offer international shipping ourselves and all shipping is through ebay's program are we still responsible for conformity?

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

Another 'vote' for more info about exactly how this works with GSP (and will work with eBay ISP)

I had previously seen a message that suggested if you didn't jump through the EPR hoops, you'd simply be blocked from selling to France. Okay, fine. But now it seems they're going to allow sales to France, then charge-back any fees to you. Not fine.

But AFAIK, I can't simultaneously ship via GSP and block France, correct?

I recall another message suggested GSP sellers not impacted...

What's the deal?

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

Does that 'opt out' override GSP if GSP allows sales of an item to France?

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

Most products people sell on eBay do not require EPR. eBay should have made this clear. Here is the list of products this applies to. If your item is not on the list, you can ignore this:

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000043974960/2022-01-01/

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

UKCA only applies if you are selling:

• toys
  • pyrotechnics
  • recreational craft and personal watercraft
  • simple pressure vessels
  • electromagnetic compatibility
  • non-automatic weighing instruments
  • measuring instruments
  • measuring container bottles
  • lifts
  • equipment for potentially explosive atmospheres (UKEX)
  • radio equipment
  • pressure equipment
  • personal protective equipment (PPE)
  • gas appliances
  • machinery
  • equipment for use outdoors
  • ecodesign
  • aerosols
  • low voltage electrical equipment

Anything else, you can ignore these requirements.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

@cypresscollectibles wrote:

Most products people sell on eBay do not require EPR. eBay should have made this clear. Here is the list of products this applies to. If your item is not on the list, you can ignore this:

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000043974960/2022-01-01/

article is in French..............

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

@noah-zark wrote:

Does that 'opt out' override GSP if GSP allows sales of an item to France?

Hi @noah-zark. If France is on your exclusions list, you'll want to make sure within your GSP settings, that 'GSP Override Excluded Countries' isn't selected. 

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

sorry, didn't see your later post.........

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

If I sell in the collectibles category, which I believe is exempt from this, do I have to make any changes to my listings to avoid the fee?

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

EPR France- US

The list posted by @cypresscollectibles is different from the list posted by eBay here. One of the big differences is textiles. Screenshot below.

eBay also states on that page:

"If you sell products covered by the EPR on ebay.fr to buyers located in France, but you fail to provide eBay with the valid Unique Producer Identification Number(s) required for such products (including without limiting their packaging), eBay may decide to pay the corresponding Eco fees on your behalf, and charge them back to you."

and at the top of the page

"Extended Producer Responsibility for business sellers listing on eBay.fr"

The policy page is clear about 2 things:
1. you must be a business seller
2. you must be selling on the .fr site.

This seller update seems to contradict that, saying any business seller shipping to France is affected. It does not specify that you have to list on .fr. Can we get some clarification on that seller_update@ebay?

1. How is eBay defining business sellers on the .com site?
2. Does this apply to items listed on .com or is it exclusive to items listed on .fr?
3. What about items listed on .com that do not exclude France, therefore buyers see the listings on .fr under the "more options from international sellers" section by default?

france.png

See the disclaimer that this list is not exhaustive, so even if your category isn't listed there, that doesn't mean you're in the clear.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 15 of 25
latest reply