cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Spring Seller Update Reminder

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hello,

Please use this thread if you have any questions or wish to discuss today's announcement

Thank you. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 331
latest reply
330 REPLIES 330

Re: 2017 Spring Seller Update Reminder

If I could make a suggestion:

Could you make it so we customize 1-day shipping as well as same day?

I work a full-time job.  The way it is set up now, if someone buys something at 11:59 p.m. while I'm asleep, I need to ship it the next day or it is not 1 day shipping.  But I work from 7 til 6 p.m., so anything purchased at 11:59 p.m. on MOnday is going out Wednesday morning.  Late according to you.  I would prefer the business day end at 7 or 8 p.m., but I'm not allowed to make that distinction.

Message 151 of 331
latest reply

The Amazon Prime membership ($99) and the free 2 day shipping will apply to items, largely, that are being shipped from Amazon itself.  I may be wrong, but I don't believe a 3rd party supplier doing their own shipping gets any of that benefit.

I love Amazon as a customer.  But every retailer I know who tried selling on their had nothing but complaints about the strictness of Amazon's rules and regulations.  And the fee structure for Amazon sales is much higher than eBay's fee structure.

Message 152 of 331
latest reply

@lostfairysales, alan@ebay

@lostfairysales wrote:

Wow some great things coming from Ebay. My biggest concern though is shipping costs. Being on the east coast (Pa) when I shop to the west coast it is insane! I mean some items 50-70 dollars and they are not huge items. Just pictures or figurines that are bigger. Yet I get things from China for a few dollars! I don't get it. I lose so many sales due to high shipping costs. I offer fair prices on items usually 40 dollars or less and can't give free shipping next day because it costs me more then the item and bumping up the cost of the item well hardly seem most customers don't see through that when searching prices.  Maybe Ebay should by a shipping company or set up state offices and do it themselves for less and most everyone would sign on to that or lobby the USPS for a deal like they gave China!

Very good point on high shipping costs levied against US Sellers.  I too am east coast and the cost to ship things to the west coast is horrendous.  Recently, a Buyer purchased a light but bulky item for less than 20 bucks ... they paid for USPS at OVER $ 39.00!  I also offer FedEx Ground and apparently the Buyer missed that Additional Service offered, so when the order came in and I saw the shipping I switched to FedEx Ground, advised the customer and Refunded over $ 15.00!!!!!!!!!!!  Yes, I REFUNDED over 15 bucks because of the difference between USPS & FedEx Ground.  Buyer really appreciated that when they got the message AND the Refund.

It would ne nice to see eBay make a concerted effort to negotiate with ALL carriers for lower and preferred shipping rates for Sellers on eBay.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 153 of 331
latest reply

Why do you value good customer service for the sake of your customers?

This ridiculous post basically reads: I will only bend over backwards for my customers if eBay subsidizes my efforts.

Good customer service should be done for the benefit of your customers which benefits your business by creating happy, returning customers.

Message 154 of 331
latest reply

I sell a lot of 99 cent coins.  I charge $3 flat rate shipping.  It is problematic, and I'm sure I lose some single coin sales.  But I have a lot of people who just buy 3, 4 or 20 coins because it is still only $3 to ship.  So, everything I sell has tracking (per eBay's desire) and I sell 2500-3000 99 cent coin and stamps per year.

Message 155 of 331
latest reply

What ARE the minimum requirements needed to avoid the additional 4%?

Message 156 of 331
latest reply

I find that shipping UPS is a lot cheaper than USPS. USPS charges more if the packing is over 12x12x12" too. Also, I don't think ebay should get the 10% fee on shipping if you don't use their labels. It is a rip off.
Message 157 of 331
latest reply

@dexterdoggie

Unless you are using some of the other benefits of Amazon prime on a regular basis, the shipping benefit isn't something that is going to save you money on the most part.  If you look a littler closer at many of the items that qualify for the Free Shipping portion of Amazon Prime members, the items price is higher than the other items charging separate shipping.  Therefore they are just rolling the price of shipping into the product price.  

Ebay can't compete with this program on Amazon.  Ebay doesn't have product they sell themselves.  There is no way for Ebay to do this unless you are suggesting they should start competing with their sellers and start selling products as well so they can offer a similar shipping program which in reality doesn't save your much if anything.  So that may be why Ebay doesn't adopt a similar program!?!?

The second was from a top eBay marketing executive after I compalined that absorbing free shipping was a business killer for many of us.  She flipped it off by saying: "Oh, just raise your prices to cover the cost."

She is right.  Offering Free Shipping is simply rolling your costs into the price of the product.  That is exactly how you are suppose to do it.  That is why so many have argued over the years it should be called Shipping Included.  Free Shipping should not be killing any business unless the seller misunderstands what Free Shipping is or don't now apply it correctly.  Not everything should have free shipping.  There are things that do well with it and some that don't.  You need to know your marketplace for the items you sell to determine this.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 158 of 331
latest reply

@everythingvaluable

There's still a 14% incentive (rather than 20%) because if you fall below standard you incur a 4% penalty as well as losing the 10% bonus.

Boy you'd have to be having a really bad month to drop from TRS to Below Standard.  If this were to happen, you'd really want to take a close look at what caused the sudden fall and get it fixed before the grace period was over.

Believe me, I'm not happy about it either.  But it is still worth it to try and remain TRS.

You can remain TRS without having your listings qualify for TRS+.   I agree with you that it is very important to remain TRS for the benefits, especially the shipping discounts.  But I'm not at all worried about remaining TRS+.  It is a lot of work and maybe not so worth it anymore.  The smaller the seller the easier it is to give up.

What bothers me more is that maintaining that standard loses me business by forcing shipping practices on me AND the customer.  I sell a lot of postcards which I could ship 1st class for about 70 cents total.  Shipping with tracking requires package rate so it is $3.04 total cost.  I get people complaining all the time (or begging for $1 shipping) but I can't give THEM what they WANT because eBay's policies force me to ship things package rate with tracking EVEN IF THE CUSTOMER DOESN'T WANT IT.

I understand that sellers of really lightweight items that would normally just ship FC, this has been a real delema.  But Ebay is NOT forcing you to do anything.  IF you want certain benefits, then you need to ship with tracking.  You have made a choice to comply others made the opposite decision.  I understand why you want to adhere, but that doen't mean anyone "forced" you.

Interestingly, that also risks my ratings when customers complain about MY excessive shipping costs when it is really eBay that is doing it.

The cost is only "excessive" if you are pricing it that way.  It is either a proper price for FCP or it isn't.  You are the only one that can make it "excessive".  Just because shipping costs more than the price of the product does not make it excessive.  Shipping costs have NEVER been driven by the price of the product for any carrier, it has always been by weight.

Message 159 of 331
latest reply

@plastic-princess wrote:

What ARE the minimum requirements needed to avoid the additional 4%?

@plastic-princess

You could just look that up in the help section on Ebay, but for your ease:

https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/ihdt?dtselfservice=true&contextid=845f33d0-a6b3-4cda-95e0-a59506087987%...

Message 160 of 331
latest reply

eBay is blowing the cap right off the bottle on sellers that aren't in a store...dock 10%, still want 30 day returns with 1 day shipping with FREE SHIPPING their 30 percent pay pal's percent  with no help for supplies...no discount for non store sellers...am I missing anything?

Message 161 of 331
latest reply

Incease in sales you say...how about is anyone even seeing our listings.  

Message 162 of 331
latest reply

Yes I see your point both seller's get the boot...

Message 163 of 331
latest reply

Sales are slow again, usually after a hike in USPS prices it is a bit of a shock to the buyers and it slows down sales for a couple of months.  It seems you start getting inquiries from the buyers on the cost for shipping.  I explain to buyers that USPS has had a rate increase and remind them if they purchase more than one item from me I can combine the items.  I try to be as polite as possible and ask from which state they are from as I am in Washington and if they tell me they are in NY it will cost a lot more due to distance, weight and size of the boxed item.  I usually recieve more sales from California, Oregon and Washington until the shock of the increase goes away again.   Hope that helps!

Message 164 of 331
latest reply

Well I will not do Spring cleaning to list on ebay this year since I have not had any free listings since January and all my listing pictures are starting to disappear and I do not have time to take the pictures all over again.  After months loading the listings with all the free 500 listings eBay used to give us I spent many night up trying to list all I could and I mean hours, then the rug was pulled out from the sellers and no more free 500 listings.  So now all my listing pictures have started deleting and after all the hours I spent packing the items up in boxes and taping them shut, can you imagine unpacking 400 items and retaking the pictures again?  I think once I sell what is left I am over and out, it has gotten very stressfull with slow sales due to shipping rates and I have no free listings to list my items anymore, and there is no reason to list new items as it would be a waste of my time to take pictures to only have them disappear again.  Well eBay it was fun while it lasted but soon I shall depart!  Becareful sellers do not get carried away with any of the free listings - they offer the newbies 500 listings and then the rug is pulled out and you will have to spend 30 cents a listing to post them and if you do not after a couple of months the pictures will disappear.  Good Luck!

Message 165 of 331
latest reply