cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Seller

The new 30 day return policy means that I will go by the wayside as a Power Seller and that I will reduce my return policy rather than extend it.  The items I sell are subject to mishandling and abuse almost immediately and a 30 day return policy will mean that if someone sees it for a lower price, I will receive the item back.  The recent additions to buyer protections for me has introduced me to a more mean spirited Ebay buyer,...one who constantly threatens me with bad feedback and other demands if I don't cave to whatever thay wish.  This has been my experience and adding another 16 days will make it worse.  Just my opinion but you might as well take away my ribbon right now.  I am not willing to try anymore...What's next...

Joe

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Power Seller

Joe

You will be happy to know that the 30 day return policy does not affect Power Seller status at all.  

If you want to retain TRS Plus status [discount], then you do need to change your listings to 30 days on or before May 1st.

While I understand what you are saying, it is not likely that changing your return policy from 14 days to 30 days will dramatically increase the amount of returns you get.  

We all offer 30 day returns no matter what our listing say.  That is Ebay's Money Back Guarantee policy.  So even if you put you did not accept returns, you really would have a 30 day return policy under the MBG rules.

I think you are worrying about something that is probably not going to happen.  While certainly there are buyers out there that love getting things for free, most are honest.  If they weren't, none of us would be here.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

The top rated seller 20% discount will no longer be available to any top rated seller such as myself unless we offer a 30 day return policy in our listings. There is no way I can offer this long a time period for my return policy, since it really means 45 days, because Ebay does NOT count holidays or weekends in this 30 day return policy time period.

I had to remove over half a million dollars worth of listings when Pay pal came up with a 180 day return policy last year, which was unacceptable to me.

Sellers had to remove some of the most expensive stuff we sell just because of this. I sell NEW leather products for horses, I cannot have people sending them back USED and/or DESTROYED after 30 days of use with a horse. Its bad enough when fraudulent buyers state that their item in not as described when they ruin an item during use, and Ebay allows this nonsense. It is already a huge loss.

Ebay wants to satisfy their shareholders on wall street by trying to show a profit and make gains on wall street. By taking away TRS 20% discounts from great sellers such as myself ,which means taking away over $400+ a month from me. This is unacceptable to me, and the rescue horses I feed with that money.

Do you remember when powersellers could have a 3 day return policy ? ? On an earlier update a couple years ago, Ebay insisted we have at least a 2 week return policy in order to get the TRS 20% discount. We complied with that. And now Ebay is changing  that update to a 30 day return policy, which many sellers for very good reasons cannot do.

I am very disappointed that Ebay is doing this to us TRS who have worked so hard, for so many years at this to become what we are here today. We have stuck with it, all the rules and policys, and all the updates and changes, as bad as they were, some Ebay even changed back because they realize they were so bad. And now, they are actually hitting me in the pocketbook in a huge way. Its bad enough that all Ebays fees have been creeping up over the years. And even added "extras" to promote our listings at a big cost. For some reason Ebay is making more money then me it seems now. I work so hard, I do this for a good cause. I have put up with all the **bleep** over the years, and now they want to take away something that I EARNED.

It looks like this is backfiring for Ebay because some of the sellers who cannot have a 30 day return policy, will not be offering returns now. Some are so insulted and disappointed for being penalized for not changing a thing, sellers are just leaving Ebay. So sad to think someone at Ebay thought of this to penalize sellers by taking away a sellers hard earned $  ! !

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

@horseofcoursellc wrote:

The top rated seller 20% discount will no longer be available to any top rated seller such as myself unless we offer a 30 day return policy in our listings. There is no way I can offer this long a time period for my return policy, since it really means 45 days, because Ebay does NOT count holidays or weekends in this 30 day return policy time period.

I had to remove over half a million dollars worth of listings when Pay pal came up with a 180 day return policy last year, which was unacceptable to me.

Sellers had to remove some of the most expensive stuff we sell just because of this. I sell NEW leather products for horses, I cannot have people sending them back USED and/or DESTROYED after 30 days of use with a horse. Its bad enough when fraudulent buyers state that their item in not as described when they ruin an item during use, and Ebay allows this nonsense. It is already a huge loss.

Ebay wants to satisfy their shareholders on wall street by trying to show a profit and make gains on wall street. By taking away TRS 20% discounts from great sellers such as myself ,which means taking away over $400+ a month from me. This is unacceptable to me, and the rescue horses I feed with that money.

Do you remember when powersellers could have a 3 day return policy ? ? On an earlier update a couple years ago, Ebay insisted we have at least a 2 week return policy in order to get the TRS 20% discount. We complied with that. And now Ebay is changing  that update to a 30 day return policy, which many sellers for very good reasons cannot do.

I am very disappointed that Ebay is doing this to us TRS who have worked so hard, for so many years at this to become what we are here today. We have stuck with it, all the rules and policys, and all the updates and changes, as bad as they were, some Ebay even changed back because they realize they were so bad. And now, they are actually hitting me in the pocketbook in a huge way. Its bad enough that all Ebays fees have been creeping up over the years. And even added "extras" to promote our listings at a big cost. For some reason Ebay is making more money then me it seems now. I work so hard, I do this for a good cause. I have put up with all the **bleep** over the years, and now they want to take away something that I EARNED.

It looks like this is backfiring for Ebay because some of the sellers who cannot have a 30 day return policy, will not be offering returns now. Some are so insulted and disappointed for being penalized for not changing a thing, sellers are just leaving Ebay. So sad to think someone at Ebay thought of this to penalize sellers by taking away a sellers hard earned $  ! !

The 30 days is regular days including holidays and weekends. The extra time you see is that the 30 days does not start until the actual delivery date shown by delivery confirmation or after the latest estimated delivery date. This wait to start the 30 days can be a few days to a week or more.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html#timelines

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

I have returns sitting in my returns center that are way over 30 days old and still Ebay leaves them there. So, no the 30 days does not include weekends or holidays. You are misinformed by ebay not following their own policies or rules.
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

@horseofcoursellc wrote:
I have returns sitting in my returns center that are way over 30 days old and still Ebay leaves them there. So, no the 30 days does not include weekends or holidays. You are misinformed by ebay not following their own policies or rules.

The Policy reads 30 days from the date received or latest ETA stated on the listing, whichever came first.  So yes it is not 30 days from purchase, it never has been.  The 30 day policy DOES include weekends and holidays.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

@horseofcoursellc wrote:

@horseofcoursellc

Just so you are aware, that 180 days is not Paypals idea it is what the credit card companies impose on the processors and

they then must pass that on to their customers.  If you were to accept a credit card on your merchant account you have the same 180 day return period for Item not as Described as you do through PayPal as the customer can dispute the item with their Credit Card company who will then send it to the bank and on to the Credit Card processor ( which is what PayPal really is).  I just wanted to make sure you were aware of this in case you accept credit cards through a merchant account on this or other venues.

DAvid

Twnpopcards

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

Not all CCs offer 180 days to their customers.  Some it is 90 days and others have different terms.  It depends on the CCC.  And yes, you are correct that PP did state they made the change to me more in line with CCCs policies.

Now with that said, it still doesn't hold water to me.  A charge back and the ability to file a claim directly with PP are two different things completely.  Before they made this change, PP honored chargebacks from CCCs that went beyond 30 days from receipt of the item.  They honored them LONG after that date.  

If PP was truly just concerned with being in line with CCCs policy, then they wouldn't have needed to make any change as they honored a chargeback no matter when it was filed.  That doesn't mean the CCC won the chargeback, it just means PP put it through the process.

They had no need to open up the claim process to everyone for up to 180 days.  That is over kill IMHO.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

Something else I found, if a buyer does not SHIP the item back (or provide tracking) within FIVE days (and I do think THAT is business days), you can CLOSE THE RETURN and they are no longer eligible to return!! I will call my rep to make sure that is still the case but it was as of last week!!! So CALL CALL CALL Ebay if they are not posting tracking in that period!!! 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

@armyredheadmp wrote:

Something else I found, if a buyer does not SHIP the item back (or provide tracking) within FIVE days (and I do think THAT is business days), you can CLOSE THE RETURN and they are no longer eligible to return!! I will call my rep to make sure that is still the case but it was as of last week!!! So CALL CALL CALL Ebay if they are not posting tracking in that period!!! 

It is still the policy.  Once the seller and buyer agree that a return is how you'd like to proceed, the buyer has 5 business days to ship the item back.  If there is no tracking on the package or if you suspect the buyer has not yet shipped the item back, you can call on day 6 and get the claim closed in your favor.

A word of caution.  Do NOT escalate the claim.  That could result in the claim being closed in the buyer's favor.  It is in a sellers best interest to take the time to call in to have the claim closed in your favor.  NEVER escalate.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

Question - where can I find my stats in terms of how many items I am averaging per month (in terms of listing/selling). I want to see if it is worth it to stay at the anchor or go down to premium (although I cannot see HOW it could possibly be worth that MUCH of an increase). 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

@armyredheadmp wrote:

Question - where can I find my stats in terms of how many items I am averaging per month (in terms of listing/selling). I want to see if it is worth it to stay at the anchor or go down to premium (although I cannot see HOW it could possibly be worth that MUCH of an increase). 

Check your Dashboard and look at your Selling Manager.  If you aren't familiar with them, just ask.

If you currently have about 1400 listings posted.  If that is a typical number for you, you don't need that Anchor store nor did you ever need the Anchor store.  

For example, the Premium store offers 1000 GTC listings for free and additional GTCs at 10 cents.  So if you did the one year subscription, you'd pay the following.

59.95  Monthly Premium store fee [subscription rate]

@50.00  500 additional GTCs @ 10 cents each

109.95  Total fees

With the enormous fee increases to the Anchor Store, it is only going to pay off for you if you average running at least 3400 listings, and that is with a subscription rate.  If you are on the monthly rate, then about 3700 GTCs every month.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

This is also what I was thinking. I MAY go up to 2000 but that is probably the limit of what I am able to do at our current size. 

What are you thinking of the 30 day thing? We already do this on Amazon but we are able to balance the BS with higher prices. I am concerned about losing the 20%, but decreasing the store size will offset some of the costs we were paying for the Anchor. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

@armyredheadmp wrote:

This is also what I was thinking. I MAY go up to 2000 but that is probably the limit of what I am able to do at our current size. 

What are you thinking of the 30 day thing? We already do this on Amazon but we are able to balance the BS with higher prices. I am concerned about losing the 20%, but decreasing the store size will offset some of the costs we were paying for the Anchor. 

Personally I think you are fine with a Premium Store.  If at some later date you are going to start to regularly run upwards of 3500 GTC, you can always upgrade your store.

If you are currently an Anchor store, make sure you downgrade it ASAP to a Premium store.  On May 6th the new rates go into effect and for Anchor stores that is a HUGE increase.  If you are currently under a Subscription with Ebay, they are allowing sellers to downgrade their stores WITHOUT penaltiy if done before June 4th.  But still get it done ASAP or you are going to be wasting over $100 in a couple days.

I changed to a 30 day return.  It doesn't worry me one bit.  I'm not sure why so many sellers are upset by this.  Every seller, whether they have a no return policy or a stated return policy have ALWAYS had a 30 day return policy.  And that is because of Ebay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers.  I don't get enough returns to be overly concerned about it.  

For years I had a 30 day return policy, then for a few years I went to 14 days, now I'm back at 30 days.  In all that time, I saw no real difference in how many returns I'd get.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Power Seller

Taking away the Top Rated Seller 20% discount when a seller has worked so hard to stay at that level is just bad business practice. In the day when being a powerseller meant something, Sellers were originally told that we had to have at least a 2 week return policy in order to get the 20% TRS discount. Now if we stick to that, we are punished and penalized for not being able to change our return policy to 30 days by loosing the 20% discount that I pay my utility bills with every month. I cannot believe Ebay treats their sellers like this. All because of the bottom line for their shareholders. I give Ebay well over 2K per month in fees. And now they want to keep what I earned and work so hard for. Ebay is horrifying to do business with  ! !

Message 15 of 18
latest reply