cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay stock dropps 9% after PayPal report of "WEAK VOLUME TRENDS" due to eBay Throttling

EBay's stock tumbles more than 9% on Friday Oct, 19 2018 after PayPal suggests weak volume trends at former parent Co. eBay. This is no surprise to many of us sellers here on eBay who have experienced the throttling of our paid for US based Premium stores. The story about this can be found by Googling "eBay Stock Price" or here is a link to Market Watch story: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ebay-stock-falls-after-paypal-suggests-weak-volume-trends-at-forme...

For all of the neigh sayers of the fact that eBay throttles & limits accounts we now have confirmation via PayPal. EBay has backed Chines sellers who had advantages of cheap shipping rates, production of counterfeit cheap knock off items produced in violation of child labor laws. However, the Chines free ride on the cheap shipping cost is coming to an end. Now what eBay? You slapped every US based seller in the face limiting our sales for years to push the sales of the Chines based seller. They won't be able to compete when they have to spend $20 to ship their $9 item!

My personal experience with the eBay throttling model is this: I am currently in a 33hr blackout from sales with 1020 unique items listed. A slow day is 5 sales...I have had 0 in the past 33hrs! I can prove exactly when this started as eBay was nice enough to provide me with sales reports. In Aug 2016 I was on par to make $150K going into the holiday season where I make most of my sales. From Aug, 2016 to now I have been throttled to $70K per year. I combated this limitation of sales by DOUBLING my inventory by Aug, 2018. Result, a continued limitation to my sales. I doubled my inventory and my sales are still decreasing! Nobody can explain this away with anything other than eBay LIMITING/THROTTLING my account to an exact number. I pay for a Premium store and I am told I have NO LIMITS and that eBay does not LIMIT the amount of sales I can make. REALLY? I can prove this is going on and has been since 2012, however the past 2 years it has been an additional limitation to an exact number! This, eBay is why your stock is down 24% year to date! You can no longer hide the issues that CEO Devin Wenig has fleeced the eBay company while single handedley  caused the demise of 10's of 1000's of US based companies doing business on your site. IMO

Message 1 of 132
latest reply
131 REPLIES 131

eBay stock dropps 9% after PayPal report of "WEAK VOLUME TRENDS" due to eBay Throttling

Paypal and ebay are politically at odds right now. Thats the headline and its not good for buyers, sellers, or anyone except the stock traders who dumped stock ahead of today.
Message 16 of 132
latest reply

GREAT POST!

Message 17 of 132
latest reply

@laurabeardsley wrote:

Well if it drops that much won't someone step in and reorganize this company and possibly go back to the original format?

Original format meaning pushing used collectables and auctions?  You really think that bodes well for success?

Message 18 of 132
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

@laurabeardsley wrote:

Well if it drops that much won't someone step in and reorganize this company and possibly go back to the original format?

Original format meaning pushing used collectables and auctions?  You really think that bodes well for success?

They sure need to do something to breathe some life into this place. It's like they're not even trying. How hard would it be for ebay to run some promo/sweepstakes/treasure hunt, SOMETHING that is well advertised that would give people a reason to take another look at ebay. SO MANY buyers and sellers have abandoned ebay due to their inept management, and at this point, ebay needs to BEG them to come back.

Message 19 of 132
latest reply

The original format was extremely successful . The auction part of it attracted tons of buyers at the time. Why do you think it would be bad to go back to this?

Message 20 of 132
latest reply

I was in an antiques store yesterday, there was a couple and a single individual talking with the store owner, they all sell on ebay, I was just being a fly on the wall perusing the store owners inventory and let me tell you the whole half hour conversation was about ebay and there was NOTHING good said about this site. It's word of mouth my friends, the reputation and the conversation no mattter where I am at local auctions, estate sales, the flea market... none of it is good. this place is alienating alot of people.

Message 21 of 132
latest reply

Postal increases are good for Ebay's revenue. Ebay does negotiate discounts but does not forward 100% of that dscount to sellers. They will get a small bump with no increase in their investment.

As for going back 20 years to auction days, well that won't bode well. It is a different society today, snowflakes on the left and snowflakes on the right, all focused upon immediate gratification.  Better to just price on the honest high side with a BIN and allow best offers.  Sort of an auction in reverse.

Message 22 of 132
latest reply

Why would anyone want stock in ebay?

Message 23 of 132
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

That article says nothing about "throttling," only talks about weak sales volume.  Slower sales by you isn't "proof" of throttling by eBay, intentionally limiting your sales. It doesn't make any sense that eBay would limit sales as a business.

I don't know why some sellers insist on adhering to this "throttling" nonsense.  What you and eBay suffers from is a lack of buyers.

I agree with everything that you said.

The only apparent purpose to "throttle" would be to slow down revenue in one quarter in order to push that revenue into the next quarter. So, if that is true, it would make absolutely no sense to "throttle" 19 days into the 4th quarter.

Nobody cares if the revenue is made in October, or whether the October revenue is "throttled" to November.

The only thing that matters is the revenue for the entire quarter.

And speaking of quarters, it will be VERY interesting to end the suspense, and find out why the 3rd Quarter Earnings Released was postponed to October 30.

Whatever the reason is, based on the stock being down 24% year-to-date, it seems to me like a lot of stockholders are getting into the lifeboats early.

Message 24 of 132
latest reply

I've read dozens of these articles and I have yet to see one where a journalist actually talks to actual American sellers to get their opinions.  

Message 25 of 132
latest reply

Switch over to adyen why not have both paypal and adyen why not all available payment methods if buyers have to jump through hoops to pay are these the same people that banned straws running things?at least make it easy for someone to pay, limiting options devalues a platform right there a 10 year old could tell you that.It's so depressing to think about,here's a litle cartoon to cheer everyone up,cheers !!!

Message 26 of 132
latest reply

I don't have money to buy but i recommended to relatives,to short selling eBay stock in Feb this year 8 months ago,started seeing to many glitches/changes so weird one after another after another that negatively affected my sales to an extreme. "sneaky change" (a tag i created in tech discussion).
Message 27 of 132
latest reply

Paypal told be when I called that this move away from them is actually good in that they are going to move into more exciting areas which Ebay sellers will be surprised to see. I'm hopingfor a new seling venue that won't require foreign money handling.

Message 28 of 132
latest reply

@moms**art**window** wrote:
I don't have money to buy but i recommended to relatives,to short selling eBay stock in Feb this year 8 months ago,started seeing to many glitches/changes so weird one after another after another that negatively affected my sales to an extreme. "sneaky change" (a tag i created in tech discussion).

As Forrest Gump so eloquently said .....

Ebay is like a box of chocolates .... you never know what your Watch List will look like when you log in, you never know what your My Selling Page will look like when you log in, you never know what your Print Shipping Label Page will look like when you log in, you never know what every other page will look like when you log in.

The only consistency is the inconsistence.

And, sometimes you luck out ..... and see a link on the new page for "View Classic View".

Message 29 of 132
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

@laurabeardsley wrote:

Not speaking for anyone else here, but my interpretation was, in the context of the conversation, that original search was hoped for.

Message 30 of 132
latest reply