cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

fck off yank this **bleep** sight rips Canadians off left and right...you probably use the gsp and if you do glad you got your comeuppance 

Message 601 of 613
latest reply

Ebay dosnt give a **bleep** about sellers anymore.. they suck **bleep**!!!!!! I have 74 in money they owe me and I can't get it!!!!!!! **bleep** you ebay **bleep**s!!!!! **bleep** you to hell!!!!!

Message 602 of 613
latest reply

Mine was only a hair styler. But the seller said it was broken and wanted money back. She returned the supposed broken styler. It was a different item and so obvious it wasn't the one I sold her. But like you, ebay froze my payment and refunded the buyer although I had been on to ebay customer service and provided photos etc. I was fuming that the buyer could use the buyer protection guarantee and lie to get the item and a full refund. Something needs changing.

Message 603 of 613
latest reply

I’m so sorry that happened to you and yes I am sick and tired of it myself. I read somewhere that cheap scapes and thieves shop on eBay. Not exclusively but that people are more likely to be shopping on eBay thinking they’re going to get a deal and learning the system so that they can screw over the sellers . I have had it. I just got an email today where the person claimed that the shirt I sent him was 2 inches shorter on the sleeve length than it was in the listing. I happen to know for a fact that this shirt was one of four custom-made shirts where all four shirts were exactly the same. That shirt is not 2 inches shorter in length than the others. What I think happened was he did not read the note in the description that expressly pointed out that these shirts had a monogram on the cuff. It’s in white so it’s very difficult to see but nonetheless it’s there. They got $150 shirt at an anonymously discounted price because of  this monogram. There is something in the description as well to send you to the note so that you get the   Explanation as to what’s going on. I’m so tired of people doing this it’s really difficult for me to be nice when they contact me. Someone else contacted me about a pair of Nike tennis shoes that were my grandsons trying to claim that they had been glued it look like they had been glued trying to force me into providing them with a 50% off refund. They got belligerent when I said no there was no gluing and you can just send those back and I’ll give you a full refund well of course they don’t want to send them back for a full refund they want me to provide them with a 50% discount. Then they start railing about how they’re not gonna pay for the shipping back  I told them look at eBay‘s policies and how you get a shipping label I’m not required to educate anybody that shops on eBay how to create a return. Especially when they’ve been trying to extort 50% from me already. I’ll be highly surprised if they send these shoes back. I’m looking for somebody to buy my inventory now so that I can stop dealing with these lowlife  thieves. If  you are not a lowlife or a thief then I’m not talking about you so no need to get offended.

Message 604 of 613
latest reply

This post is from 2011.    41 pages of stuff from more than 10 years ago.  Time to close this old posts.  Why doesn't ebay automatically close these posts.   This one is 12 years old!!!!  Start a new post if you are having any issue.

Message 605 of 613
latest reply

I am a buyer and I am being ripped off by the seller and by Ebay.  I returned the item, per ebay communication.  The item is stuck in customs in Delhi.  Since it took too long, I am refused refund.  $550!!!   I don't have the crap ring or my money back.  100% money back guarantee, my ass!!!

Message 606 of 613
latest reply

All the time now I am so fed up man, something needs to be done, a class action or something....EBAY keeps taking my money. I am getting screwed as a Seller and a Buyer. I just had two orders, the tracking says its still in transit and buyer opens an item not received the day after he was able too. They automatically put my money on hold. So I called them and they said that I have to refund them. So not only do I lose $50 worth of Basketball cards I gotta refund the POS $50. They tell me to open as case with USPS, you know how many cases USPS has helped me with ZERO. I am still waiting on a claim from 6 months ago. Total **bleep**, they should be the ones filing a case, why should we have to waste more of our time because they couldnt do there job right. This is happening on average now, at least once a week now....I can't even make money anymore, every time I asked them for help they always side with the buyer no matter what....come on guys, we reallly need to step up and do something...IM tired of all those retail companies not being held accountable for anything. I have been screwed so much in the last 3 years. I feel so powerless and voiceless. I know I am not the only one. I just deleted my store, I wanted to do it months ago but EBAY somehow implemented a termination fee which is also **bleep**, I never agreed to that, I wanted to do it but they wanted to charge me 80 bucks to terminate, UNREAL. Also, that new promotional % is **bleep**, thats what really started it all. The GREED, I had put my % up to 25-35% in order to be seen....if you didnt promote your stuff it would be pushed to the bottom and no one would see it or barely anyone. I had to switch to BUY IT NOW because everyone was winning all my auctions for freaking 99 Cents...I mean I had top tier rookies that couldn't even get 1 view in 1 month and it was listed under comps......how does a highly popular card that sells all the time listed below market value not get any views in a month? SO now were paying 21 bucks a month for STORE, % promotion plus the 13% and all the other hidden charges..in the end the were taking 75% from me with the Store Fee added in....THEY NEED TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE... I am ready to do whatever it takes so if anyone wants to do anything please feel free to message me Scott.conte@gmail.com  I am already printing out all my convos on twitter with them, all the times they said NO. Plus I think I gonna go down to file a police report on them for theft and fraud. Then I need to figure out how to get laywer who gets paid if we win

Message 607 of 613
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will no longer use Facebook, Craigslist and am considering dropping eBay after I am obviously getting scammed as I write this. Buyer canceled order day after sent now saying empty box. I escalated to eBay…..now buyer said he is returning. Returning an empty box?  He won’t respond.  Just hoping eBay has my back or I am done with them also.

Message 608 of 613
latest reply

I got ripped off years ago to, but with a lego set sent the the UK. This was a $300 lego set. I mailed it out and watched the tracking deliver it to the buyer. The buyer claimed they didn't get it and filed a claim with ebay. 2 days later they emailed me and said they got it. I contacted Ebay with the email the buyer sent. They said it wasn't good enough and that I needed customs forms. I filed for customs documents ($30) and never got a response. They buyer got a free $300 item as they refunded their money. I listed international shipping again. 

Message 609 of 613
latest reply

1st time posting. Likely wrong place.

SELLERS BEWARE ..Buyer's may be within a  financial institution. No way sellers can learn this unless there is a dispute. Ebay has no authority nor can they protect sellers over financial institution. In a nut shell. Seller can do everything right but it will make no differecne. Thus SELLERS NOT PROTECTED.

Message 610 of 613
latest reply

1. Did you notice the age of the original post?

2. What does this mean:  "Buyer's may be within a financial institution."

Employed by a financial institution? How does that make a difference?  

Message 611 of 613
latest reply

Please correct me if I am wrong but I have a question. Regarding all the transactions everyone is writing about: Isn't this the kind of rip off you can report to the FBI? 

I have reported email fraud many times. Since this involves money and commerce I am pretty sure you can report these transactions AND the buyer/scammer/thief! I especially think since this involves a rip off by someone in another country it's more serious. I know they have worked on different rip offs by people in Africa. I bet they have worked on cases from Canada. I would bet on it!

Good luck to everyone who has posted here. I don't sell on eBay since I am a buyer. I appreciate when I purchase something I want.

Message 612 of 613
latest reply

Deal with Americans 🇺🇸...Forget about Canada 🇨🇦...it's industrial strength crazy 🤪.  To much customs rules regulations to much taxes especially from USA...

THEY CHARGE WHAT IT WOULD COST IN CANADA 🇨🇦 🤷 Crazy but true.

Taxed from the cradle to the grave.

Message 613 of 613
latest reply