cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

I sell music gear mostly. Have had very similar experience recently. I won’t bore you all with the details, except to say I joined eBay in 1999. I have no had enough of the “the favour the buyer over the facts” approach.

I’m out...
Message 511 of 613
latest reply

I'm through with

EBAY AND PAYPAL ... when the mail is slow during Christmas and they get package and a refund just being a day late is a ripoff and I'm stuck with the shipping cost......im not using PayPal anymore for any reason....

Message 512 of 613
latest reply

On and on it goes. No seller control, at all.
Message 513 of 613
latest reply

Currently being threatened with neg feedback. Seller wants more money than just the return refund. What do you do?

Message 514 of 613
latest reply

On Ebay the buyer is always right. No matter what, period.
Message 515 of 613
latest reply

i surely wish there was a facebook page where we could list these bad buyers & sellers too!  I can almost predict who will be a problem for me when they buy the item!! 

Message 516 of 613
latest reply

songokubeerus1
Adventurer

My husband sold a xbox with extra's and the buyer gave us great feedback and 20days later requested a full refund plus money for return shipping, Paypal took the money from us and this person has yet to return our item. I think ebay needs to stop being so helpful for buyers and give a **bleep** about the seller. So we have to refund and loose our items, this person already emailed us told us he pulled out the harddrive **bleep**!!!!!!!! Break into my item than ask for a refund. **bleep** 

Message 517 of 613
latest reply

Hi, this is ebay they like people stealing from you as it is extra revenue for them. like all business sellers i to have had enough of working hard only to give away around 10% of my items for free and get a load of hassel and neg feedback even when i 100% prove the buyer is lying. I to have kids and make very little but ebay, paypal and hermes are making a killing from me...... Its a joke a very nasty one.....
Message 518 of 613
latest reply

that's a scam-- especially when they don't return the damaged item
Message 519 of 613
latest reply

Same scenario just happened to me.  Feb 2018.  Sent item out. A plumbing pipe locator “for parts, not working” but still a $600 item.... my listing clearly indicated no returns, and the shipping cost was same to all buyers.   Around the time the package was to arrive at buyers location, I get an email from buyer with a picture of my item or likely one that looks like it, with its major component broken in pieces.  Buyer states simply that due to my **bleep** packing job it’s busted.   And wants a refund.   I ask him reasonably for some pictures of the shipping box which was well packed and marked a dozen times fragile, even though you would have to hit the item with a hammer to break it as it was picured by buyer.  He doesn’t respond at first, then states it’s in the dumpster, send me the return labels.  

Now my account is on hold, and the resolution centre offers me only one option and that’s to click on send shipping labels.  This is within 48 hours of his receipt of item. 

They refunded his money effectively 2 days after he made a claim.n with no recourse or input from me.

End result, eBay told him apparently to keep my item because I would not send shipping labels, and debited my account for the item plus shipping.  

Im ebayer since 2003, 100 percent feedback.  

You decide if you want to risk selling here. I’m over it.

Message 520 of 613
latest reply

Yes, this **bleep** is happening to me now, as I type.
I wrapped the item well. Wrote FRAGILE on the Shipping label in big print. Buyer says item was damaged, and that I should have used bubble wrap (which I had). Now she wants all her money back.
Message 521 of 613
latest reply

eBay is a commie production which benefits the buyers and not the sellers. When you buy a product, you're told it's a contract, you can't change your mind. Yet buyer say, I didn't see the xxxxx. Odd, cause the xxxx is in caps in the title. eBay cancels the sale. I'm ready to stop selling on eBay. Screwed all the time.
Message 522 of 613
latest reply

Don't worry @esell-resell... It's happened to us all. eBay will probably never change though... 😞

Message 523 of 613
latest reply

Yes eBay is out of control 

Message 524 of 613
latest reply

buyer bought a 1300 dollar sax from me got said it was damaged beyond repar. told me if i didn't refund immediately he would get his refund from ebay and keep the sax. that's exactly what he did. ebay refunded him and i never received the sax back. it's been a year now i no longer sell or buy on ebay at all.
ebay is a total scam from top to bottom. they always screw the sellers.
Message 525 of 613
latest reply