cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

i agree i am to

Message 466 of 613
latest reply

**bleep**ers done this to me many times.

Message 467 of 613
latest reply

I couldn't agree more:  ebay sides automatically with buyers, there is no protection for sellers. This is precisely why I have stopped selling on ebay, and started using the increasing number of other sites that have become available to sellers, no doubt to fill the void for sellers who are fleeing ebay.

Message 468 of 613
latest reply

Bla,bla, bla,,,all your careful packing. Don't pontificate.

I could send a wafer suspended in a vacum in a bullet proof crate...inside a steel container and if the buyer complains, ebay sides with the buyer.

Message 469 of 613
latest reply

The trick to not getting totally screwed selling on ebay is to limit your shipping costs. as ebay wont refund shipping on damaged claims, keep your items shipping cheaply, then risk for seller is lower. computers i would never sell. too much risk, no matter how much i want to. if you want to sell high risk items then accept the gamble. not everything can be soild on ebay despite the ay it seems. there's a reason flea markets still exist. and yes, as a seller i have learned the hard way, but never the extreme some of you have suffered. but that was because i never put myself in those positions, knowing the risk wasnt worth the reward. anyway, good luck to you all. selling online is hard, and far too many variables to count
Message 470 of 613
latest reply

Just had an ebay buyer purchase an item,  open it up, destroyed the void if removed sticker, did a not as described dispute and sent it back.  Item was sold AS IS as in the listing.  Buyer did not even put the screws back in all the way. Buyers story kept changing, yet eBay ignored that or didnt even bother to read our responses back and forth.    Contacted eBay, and so far as fell on deaf ears.  Of course they gave him a refund, as the buyer is never wrong.  I am assuming the buyer took whatever part out he needed and replaced it with the old damaged part.  Screwed out of $35 thanks to eBay  and their stupid  policies.  

Message 471 of 613
latest reply

Here is my story.  I sold on Ebay for 17 years, bought and sold hundreds and hundreds of items with 100% feedback.  I sold to a gas powered scooter to a new buyer (zero feedback).  My listing said no returns.  Shortly after the buyer received the item, she said the primer bulb for the engine had a crack in it and leaked.  Instead of a solution to the problem, she immediatley wanted to return the item.  Remember, I listed the item with no returns.  I mailed out a brand new primer bulb, but she refused to accept it, so it got returned to me.  She also claimed the scooter would not move (spindle slipped), but also claimed the brakes were not sufficient enough to stop it...which doesn't make sense.  I pleaded with Ebay appeals, but they were having none of it.  It didn't matter that the buyer had zero history, and absoultely would not work with me to fix whatever was wrong (nothing was wrong as I tested it thoroughly prior to shipping).  The buyer's word (a lie) was all that mattered.  They stated that if it was a case of "buyer's remorse" that they would reverse their ruling.  I will never, ever sell on Ebay again.  Ever.  It looks like there are pages upon pages of Ebay ruling in the buyer's favor no matter what the circumstance or what logic should dictate.  Done with Ebay...done. 

Message 472 of 613
latest reply

I am anew seller on eBay and recently was took for a pair of addias yeezy boost sneakers that were worth $700 at least and eBay gave the guy his $350 bucks back he told them he didn't receive his item I am stuck with 35 in eBay fees.I had surgery a few days after i sold the item nothing else listed I thought everything was cool I didn't get much of a notice before they yanked the money back the guy new I was down and took advantage of me eBay won't even see it won't help I will never ever deal with these crooks this whole thing cost me over a thousand bucks and I still have to pay them fees no dam way 

Message 473 of 613
latest reply

With ebay and paypal being seperate businesses now you can try this one. Sell on ebay but leave your phone number to text or call you in your listing but make sure they don't email you through ebay or else ebay staff can see it but if somebody does tell them to text/call you and give them a cheaper price to invoice it through paypal to save on ebay fees. The reason I say this is because we all know ebay screws the seller no matter what but all payments go through paypal. I talked with paypal and they told me if a claim is opened with ebay they can't do nothing about it whatsoever or refund me if the buyer rips me off. Now paypal told me that if you can get them to pay with invoice for example then they can do something about it as I've had paypal refund me on occassions where customers ripped me off. Now keep in mind this isn't a gurantee your going to get reimburesed but if you do a substantional about of business around 20k or more a month like I do they see that and are much more likely to see in your favor. I hope this helps I've been selling on ebay since 2002 and have been ripped off for several thousands through the years by corrupt buyers. 

Message 474 of 613
latest reply

With ebay and paypal being seperate businesses now you can try this one. Sell on ebay but leave your phone number to text or call you in your listing but make sure they don't email you through ebay or else ebay staff can see it but if somebody does tell them to text/call you and give them a cheaper price to invoice it through paypal to save on ebay fees. The reason I say this is because we all know ebay screws the seller no matter what but all payments go through paypal. I talked with paypal and they told me if a claim is opened with ebay they can't do nothing about it whatsoever or refund me if the buyer rips me off. Now paypal told me that if you can get them to pay with invoice for example then they can do something about it as I've had paypal refund me on occassions where customers ripped me off. Now keep in mind this isn't a gurantee your going to get reimburesed but if you do a substantional amount of business around 20k or more a month like I do then they see that and are much more likely to see in your favor. I hope this helps I've been selling on ebay since 2002 and have been ripped off for several thousands through the years by corrupt buyers on ebay. 

Message 475 of 613
latest reply

With ebay and paypal being seperate businesses now you can try this one. Sell on ebay but leave your phone number to text or call you in your listing but make sure they don't email you through ebay or else ebay staff can see it but if somebody does tell them to text/call you and give them a cheaper price to invoice it through paypal to save on ebay fees. The reason I say this is because we all know ebay screws the seller no matter what but all payments go through paypal. I talked with paypal and they told me if a claim is opened with ebay they can't do nothing about it whatsoever or refund me if the buyer rips me off. Now paypal told me that if you can get them to pay with invoice for example then they can do something about it as I've had paypal refund me on occassions where customers ripped me off. Now keep in mind this isn't a gurantee your going to get reimburesed but if you do a substantional amount of business then they see that and are much more likely to see in your favor. I hope this helps I've been selling on ebay since 2002 and have been ripped off for several thousands through the years by corrupt buyers on ebay.

Message 476 of 613
latest reply

With ebay and paypal being seperate businesses now you can try this one. Sell on ebay but leave your phone number to text or call you in your ebay listing but make sure they don't email you through ebay or else ebay staff can see it but if somebody does tell them to text/call you and give them a cheaper price to invoice it through paypal to save on ebay fees. The reason I say this is because we all know ebay screws the seller no matter what but all payments go through paypal. I talked with paypal and they told me if a claim is opened with ebay they can't do nothing about it whatsoever or refund me if the buyer rips me off. Now paypal told me that if you can get them to pay with invoice for example then they can do something about it as I've had paypal refund me on occassions where customers ripped me off. Now keep in mind this isn't a gurantee your going to get reimburesed but if you do a substantional amount of business around 20k or more a month like I do then they see that and are much more likely to see in your favor. I hope this helps I've been selling on ebay since 2002 and have been ripped off for several thousands through the years by corrupt buyers on ebay.

Message 477 of 613
latest reply

Here is my story-had a rare vintage pack stove listed for 600 dollars and agreed to sell for 450 to buyer in norwy and i pay shipping. Shen he got stove said it was bent and wanted me to give a parcial refund of purchase.I told him to send it back and he would and did get full refund.relisted and sold to buyer in tiwan who paid 600 then had trouble getting label so called ebay agent who said i needed to relist snd get lable begore payment is made(?) so i asked for the globle shipping address in ky and went to post office and they helped me send it off. Item made it to ky and they say it is destroyed because it had fhel in it ag some time and i refunded the buyer and never received my item or 600. What i can not understand is how it went to norway and back with no problem. Screwed out of 600 dollars!

Message 478 of 613
latest reply

I HAVE JUST BEEN RIPPED OFF TOO.. I SOLD SOMETHING THEY SAID BROKE AND EBAY JUST REFUNDED WITHOUT NO PROOF OR PICTURES.....I AM SO **bleep** MAD

Message 479 of 613
latest reply

Sorry for your problem. But, I have a problem with a seller who ripped me off. After endless hours with eBay support (a joke) I came to realize that eBay doesn't give a **bleep** about helping a buyer!!!! They are all about helping the seller. Don't believe me? Try moving around in their web site and see how many places there are for different seller support issues and how many for buyers!!!!! I have a 100% rating and close to 900 transactions with eBay, all purchases, and they could care less. Again, sorry for your buyer problems. There are rotten eggs in every bunch. Good by eBay.
Message 480 of 613
latest reply