cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITEM LOCATION - LIARS AND FRAUD

equi-trek
Enthusiast

I dont know how this chat works but I can not find a legitmate way to contact ebay with this particular topic - but I am sick and tired of sellers 'not' telling the truth about item locations.  I use the filter 'from the united states' and it supposedly filters out other country sellers.  I do this to get my products faster.  However two items I have purchased - from the united states- never arrived so I opened a resolution, seller responds that product is shipped from the Netherlands.  I went back to the auction, which clearly states product location is United States.

Likewise, I went to do a best offer on a dog collar tonight  - in which the product clearly stated the product location was the United States.  But when I went to confirm the Best Offer, the postage was clearly china postage.  How is that NOT fraud. 

Finally, I went to purchase an article of clothing which stated that it was coming from L.A. California, obviously the United States - and again when  looked closer, there was china postage.  I am so frustrated.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: ITEM LOCATION - LIARS AND FRAUD

what the heck does that have to do with his question about item location falsely listed???   Nothing! 

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@head2toetheatrical wrote:

I can understand being upset about items being listed as USA sellers and item actually being in China or somewhere.

I am a bit confused where you say that you filter out other countries to get your items faster. It seems like you have bought a few items from Hong Kong, China that similar items can be found in the US?

Tell me what the heck does that have to do with his original concern about sellers listing a misleading item location?  Nothing!

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

I couldn't agree with you more, this dishonesty must stop!

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

E bay itself is not upholding their own policies by letting this continue.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/item-location-misrepresentation-policy?id=4244#s...

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

So true and trying to leave honest feedback on fraudulent sellers. I will have to report eBay to the ACCC (Australian Competition & Consumer Commission) for not complying with standards. 
Seller in China - picture absolutely nothing like the garment. 3 months for a refund and then says sorry you can’t leave feedback because it’s been too long? (As if I was going to leave negative feedback BEFORE I got my money back).

advertised FREE return which was also a lie. 
there’s even another China seller who pretends your address is wrong apologises that it’s been refunded and then hopes you forget that they’ve debited your credit card! Fraudulent merchant. 
I get there are bad buyers out there (just like someone shoplifting in a physical shop) but I am honest, liaised non-stop and my buying rating is 100% but I don’t trust eBay anymore. What a shame.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

I see this is an old thread. Since about 2005 I fought fraudulent locations on Ebay. Back when I had my own sellers rep in the President's office this was repeatedly talked about. I have reported probably 30 sellers that say they are in the US but then the package comes from China.  There is a ton of seller accounts on Ebay that are all from the same sellers, you can have many seller accounts legally on Ebay. Some of them say US, some say China, but they're all from the same group of people. Often you can tell who they really are by the tracking information, sometimes it will say in tracking who it came from, and where. Probably a rule violation, and I apologize, but one seller goods-seller has over 400,000 feedbacks now. You can read the negatives. Some of them say the item was shipped from Hong Kong even though people thought they were getting items from the USA. Again, I've been reporting this for over two decades to Ebay. Ebay doesn't care. Think how much money they make off all these Chinese sellers. So it's buyer beware, if Ebay says the seller is in the US, it's sometimes not true. Pierre Omidyar's motto on Ebay in the beginning was Caveat Emptor and back then Ebay was an amazing thing totally full of scammers! It's 1000% better now. But we still have the people who lie about location, the counterfeits and the illegal items for sale. Guess it will never change. Makes me sad.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

That's really amusing. I can just imagine the face of a small claims judge when you bring this into his court. These people lying about their locations are in CHINA. Your post is just SO DARN FUNNY. If you don't understand why, call your local small claims court advocate and ask them about this. After you hang up the entire courthouse will erupt in laughter!
Message 22 of 28
latest reply

In the filters there is a location option.  They and I select US only.  We also look at the item location.  Both LIE.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

?  So you think it should be ok to lie about an item location?  And it should be fine when the arrive by date changes after we have paid? 

For the rest of us who think say whatever you want to get $ belongs to politicians and not to merchants...

Reverse the use of saved sellers.  Save the scum to that list and never buy from them or their "location" again.  I have stopped buying from the area of several cities, Los Angles being top of that list.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

This forced **bleep** gets old, doesn’t it?

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

So does being censored and corrected for saying c r a p.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Ebay obviously don't care as long as they are making money.

They have had around eight years to sort this (since the op) and I can tell you that the problem hasn't been rectified. I've made a few complaints regarding certain items recently and awaiting to see if the item location is corrected (at the very least). Beyond this, there is not much I can do other than either escalate the matter to consumer affairs or just stop using Ebay all together. 

Chinese sellers are deliberately misleading customers within regards to items location and its destroying any viability the platform once had. 

Certainly makes me think twice about clicking that "buy it now" button. 

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Issue still persists today;
I bought an item from a self-professed UK based seller(with added FREE postage within the UK - £20 outside, see a trick),
all lies,
every part of that 'business' was in Pakistan, the seller is a front for a manufacturing warehouse that specifically targets UK, Canada, Australia, and Spain(because the items are related to British and Irish culture, the people lied to are of that heritage).

My item passed through UAE and Germany on it's way to the UK and too 5 extra days on top of the listing delivery time.
My negative feedback was instantly removed from their profile(and they have 31 revised negative feedback you can't see at all).

The seller also supplies a business address on each listing that is NOT their address or registered to anyone related to them or their business.

The sellers has 99% positive feedback because ALL negative feedback is removed and the seller clearly inflates its own positive feedback by having the factory staff purchase from the seller and leave positive feedback(easy to see, check the English language skills and buzzwords in the feedback).
One representitive of the seller(they have 40 staff members) told me their UK warehouse had been closed for 2 years(so they've been lying on every listing for at least 2 years).
This community forums shows that the fake location fraud has existed for over 9 years!!

Message 28 of 28
latest reply