cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone seen this lawsuit?

Against Etsy...seems like we sellers (not me anymore but use to be) could all take notice.

https://news.yahoo.com/e-commerce-etsy-sued-mom-whose-son-strangled-224300513--abc-news-topstories.h...

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Looks like bad parenting to me.  One that little should not be wearing or having a necklace that is a choking hazard.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

It's a sue happy country instead of taking responsibility of your own actions. I do feel sorry for the mother but we have the US Consumer Safety Commission for a reason - to make sure products are safe.  Not only that - I would never give my child something that could wrap around their neck.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Such a tragedy, but the FDA  does state that "there is no scientific evidence that teething necklaces are effective and safe".   Parents who CHOOSE to put any type of necklace on small children are putting them at risk and have to accept responsibility for their choices.   

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

While extremely tragic, it appears to me that since he had the necklace on at daycare, the daycare center holds some responsibility as well as the other adults in his life.  From the pictures shown and IMHO and mine alone, I would not have allowed/place the necklace on the child as he appears to not need the teething necklace.  The food in one (1) of the pictures I would not give to him because those chunks look like a child could choke on.  If given, (and that is a huge 'if') I would have made them smaller.

What a handsome little man he was, but I hold the adults in his short life some responsibility.  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

just tagging....

I read the article and don`t recall them naming a manufacturer in the case. To me, it would seem like if someone was to be sued, it would be the manufacturer of the defective necklaces and not the seller. JMO

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

just tagging....

I read the article and don`t recall them naming a manufacturer in the case. To me, it would seem like if someone was to be sued, it would be the manufacturer of the defective necklaces and not the seller. JMO

It's etsy so I figured it was hand made 

and yes I see this trend of teething necklaces and amber necklaces for babies and I don't understand it.  Common sense says don't put a necklace on a baby   

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

And it complains the necklace didn't have the  breakaway clasp but she still choose to put it on her child and use it instead of returning.  Take some responsibility for your own actions.   Also the daycare was already found responsible through a criminal lawsuit because they were over capacity and delayed calling 911

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

"And it complains the necklace didn't have the breakaway clasp but she still choose to put it on her child and use it instead of returning. Take some responsibility for your own actions."

Very true. It`s the equivalent of giving your baby a wal-mart sack to play with.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I am sort of stuck in the 'stone age' of babies since mine will be 39 in June.  The only thing that I recall is a teething ring - one that the child could pick up/put down on his/her own with those little nobs.  When my son was teething, my father said to give him a lollipop, and I was like WTH?  Not only the sugar but the danger of him choking.  I did get him the safety lollipops - but I watched him like a hawk when he had it.  In his teenage years, he called me 'helicopter mom' LOL simply because things can happen in an instance.  

Her son's death is horrific and she has my sympathies, again IMHO and mine alone, the adults should have been looking out for the little guy. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

She needs to sue the daycare that left the necklace on while he slept
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Long term consequences for retailers will be something to watch. There are currently 650 of these on ebay right now, many from Lithuania. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Tagging - why does he need a teething necklace to begin with - it looks like he has a full set of teeth. And like posting - I'm old - a teething bracelet with nubs - just like my pups get when their growing. I always feared the fluid filled bubble ones would leak and didn't know how safe what was in them was.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

"It's etsy so I figured it was hand made "

---------

The article said it was made by a Lithuanian company, Bambero.

If you google that company, they sell such necklaces across other eCommerce platforms, too.

fwiw

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I'm wondering if maybe the child had autism or was on the spectrum?  I have a nephew that has it and although he is 12 now, there was once talk about getting him some kind of necklace when he was smaller.  Perhaps that is what this is for?  My nephew still sucks/chews the front of every shirt he has on.  

I'm old school and happen to believe that there will always be horrific accidents that occur no matter how careful we are as parents.  Our kids born in the 80's had blankets, ties on their hoodies, and slept on their stomachs (recommended at the time) and most survived.  We can continue to take away every possible death hazard, but there will still be freak accidents.  That's like banning thread because one time when my baby was little a loose thread on one of his outfits got tangled around his little toe and nearly cut the circulation off. I didn't notice it until I changed his diaper and it was already red and swollen and had cut into his thin skin.  I should have sued the manufacturers of thread or Carters for making a sleeper using thread!!  

Message 15 of 15
latest reply