cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

"Who twisted your arm to offer free shipping?"

Well Mr Mod that is exactly what Ebay are doing and you are probably one replying to the complaints trying to justify it

How Ebay can charge a fee on a service they dont provide is  beyond belief to me. And not justifiable

Like many I know Ebay, will be my the last choice to sell items on, untill this greed fee is removed

Message 151 of 1,161
latest reply

@kombivw wrote:

"Who twisted your arm to offer free shipping?"

Well Mr Mod that is exactly what Ebay are doing and you are probably one replying to the complaints trying to justify it

How Ebay can charge a fee on a service they dont provide is  beyond belief to me. And not justifiable

Like many I know Ebay, will be my the last choice to sell items on, untill this greed fee is removed

How exactly are they "twisting"? And how is the FVF on shipping in any way related to a seller's decision to offer free shipping?

Message 152 of 1,161
latest reply

"You should have called the police and reported that there was an eBay employee standing behind you, holding a gun to your head, forcing you to offer free shipping."

"Your buyer paid you $10 for the shipping, and that $10 went to your shipper. Why are you making it sound like eBay made $33 on the deal, and that you lost $33 from your sale price?"

Love reading some of your earlier replies

"How exactly are they "twisting"? And how is the FVF on shipping in any way related to a seller's decision to offer free shipping?"

Part of correspondence from Ebay Mr Mod

According to research, our sellers are providing lesser price for items but higher postage fee, this is our way to avoid "Bad buying experiences" for our buyers.

Benefits for seller :

• A level playing field for competition where unscrupulous sellers no longer have an unfair advantage on fees by charging exorbitant postage.
• More free Fixed Price listings (for basic and featured stores only)
• Lower FVF for sales of higher priced items in Home Appliances.
• Reduces buyer friction when free or reasonable postage cost is charged.
• Sellers already offering Free Postage will not be directly affected and will continue to enjoy improved visibility in eBay search results.
• Items with Free Postage convert better than listings which don’t offer Free Postage. If sellers can offer Flat Rate Postage Australia-wide, why not bundle the price and offer Free Postage?
• You will have more free fixed price listings each month. Make the most of it and list more.
• If you sell products $200+ in the Home Appliances category, you will enjoy lower FVF, so get sellers in this category to list as much as they can.

Just read how many times postage is mentioned

The FVF on free postage means seller has added that cost to item to cover it & greedy Ebay slice 

When postage is charged. That should have nothing to do with Ebays FVF because it is not a service ebay is offering

As you stated before Ebay became greedy "$10 for the shipping, and that $10 went to your shipper"

That fee should go to the shipper. And if fee for shipping is higher. Then I and any other seller can see the fee

And make our own choice whether to bid. Why should Ebay get a cut ?

This decision is not made for the buyer or the seller    

Message 153 of 1,161
latest reply

As you stated before Ebay became greedy "$10 for the shipping, and that $10 went to your shipper"

That fee should go to the shipper. And if fee for shipping is higher. Then I and any other seller can see the fee

And make our own choice whether to bid. Why should Ebay get a cut ?

This decision is not made for the buyer or the seller    

Sorry should have said "any other buyer"

Also I now have to do amended accounts each time to retrieve my Ebay greedy slice ofpostage cost. If person picks up item 

When Ebay have no entitlement on that shipping service in the first place

Message 154 of 1,161
latest reply

@kombivw wrote:

Love reading some of your earlier replies

That's nice, but they're not my replies.

And I don't care how many times eBay mentions postage, free shipping, or anything else. I can make my own business decisions. And guess what? eBay still lets me sell here. So much for "twisting".

Message 155 of 1,161
latest reply

My point is regarding your question on the fvf and how this has anything to do with postage

It is not an attack on you, and the Mods comments on some earlier postings. Are also not your comments. 

I thought fees were high when last hike happened. But with that one, it was nice they offered free ad placements which simplified their billing and also was good for sellers

But this time they are adding a fee to a service they do not provide

And basically twisting sellers arms to include postage cost  in the item price, to get FVF.

Of course it is your choice to make a business decision on whether viable. As it is anyones.

But for me and many others who are doing it not as a business it is becoming unviable to sell on Ebay.        

Message 156 of 1,161
latest reply

**bleep** off
Message 157 of 1,161
latest reply

I agree. Ridiculous. Just made a sale and it will be my last after i added up the fees. Free listing though (lol). Listing would have been about .75

Message 158 of 1,161
latest reply

My last sale cost me .63 cents I lost money

Sold for 1.04

Final value fee .10

Final value fee shipping  .96

Paypal fee           .61

Shipping                   9.59

I just removed all my postings and listed on amazon

@cferdig69 wrote:

I agree. Ridiculous. Just made a sale and it will be my last after i added up the fees. Free listing though (lol). Listing would have been about .75

Message 159 of 1,161
latest reply

I just finished listening to customer service talking points when I specifically asked how ebay can assign final value and fee to shipping charges when there is no value assigned or realized to the seller. Can anyone enlighten me please?  If I charge $12.50 for USPS Medium Flat rate and the buyer pays me $12.50, then there is NO value to me since the money goes to USPS. Why is ebay charging me 10% on this? Girl on customer service tells me that ebay charges final value fee based on what the buyer PAYS the seller. My response to her was that the buyer is NOT paying me the shipping charges, but rather the shipping carrier. She went back to the talking points because it was obvious that she didn't know what to say. She then said that ebay needed to make sure buyers weren't being overcharged for shipping. Oh really. Anyone out here being forced to buy from any particular buyer if you don't like their shipping charge? Need to send the ebay board members back to school.

@happyjack992012 wrote:

It appears to me that eBay is doing lots of things to make it hard on their sellers and the final value fees are only one of them!

Message 160 of 1,161
latest reply

I've been selling with ebay since nearly their inception and I can honestly say that someday soon, the policy members will be down the same road that JC Penny was.  May not recover. 

@suburbanrancher wrote:

Just sold some motorcycle parts at very competitive prices, then was whacked about 15% between Final value fees, shipping fees and Paypal fees. Basically, I lost money selling them through E-Bay.

After more then a decade dealing with E-bay, I am done.

Message 161 of 1,161
latest reply

I just finished listening to customer service talking points when I specifically asked how ebay can assign final value and fee to shipping charges when there is no value assigned or realized to the seller.  Can anyone enlighten me please.  If I charge $12.50 for USPS Medium Flat rate and the buyer pays me $12.50, then there is NO value to me since the money goes to USPS.  Why is ebay charging me 10% on this?  Girl on customer service tells me that ebay charges final value fee based on what the buyer PAYS the seller.  My response to her was that the buyer is NOT paying me the shipping charges, but rather the shipping carrier.  She went back to the talking points because it was obvious that she didn't know what to say.  She then said that ebay needed to make sure buyers weren't being overcharged for shipping.  Oh really.  Anyone out here being forced to buy from any particular buyer if you don't like their shipping charge?  Need to send the ebay board members back to school.

Message 162 of 1,161
latest reply

EBAY FEES ARE OUTRAGEOUS STILL
Message 163 of 1,161
latest reply

Good to see that others are also seeing my point re FVF on shipping

I know ebay bought this in to stop some sellers charging outrageous fees for postage

But there still doing this, and buyers are still making a choice whether to bid or buy

Only difference now is that Ebay get a cut on unscrupulous sellers and genuine sellers now lose 10% of postage cost 

As I said before

How is this helping buyer or seller

And how is it even legal for Ebay to charge a fee on a service they dont provide service for , time or transport cost ?

I am starting to see that us raising complaint is falling on deaf ears, and that all written is not read or acted on

Message 164 of 1,161
latest reply

Unfortunately for ebay, it may be too late.  Their policy on charging a FVF on shipping cost is why?  Because sellers lower the sell price, and jack up the shipping cost?  Why?  Because the FEES ARE TOO HIGH!  

So now, even when I ship through Paypal and they calculate the cost and collect the shipping fee, I am charged 10% more on the shipping.  Why?  So ebay can make MORE money.  Shipping is now a PROFIT CENTER for ebay.  When I ship through ebay/paypal and the item was sold with shipping cost calculated by ebay, why should ebay get ANY of that?

Ebay... the END IS NEAR.  To be honest, I really don't see how sellers are making any money selling big ticket items (computers, notebooks, tablets, electronics).  

It's a vicious circle.  Raise rates, less sellers, less income, raise rates to make up for loss, repeat cycle.

Message 165 of 1,161
latest reply