cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Fees too High .. sellers leaving in droves.

Ebay Final Value Fees are too high. They won't learn till the sales drop and drop. Also, gimmicks not working.. all the games they play with the web pages  ..just irritating.

10% fee on final sales and Shipping Cost! Crazy.

5% fee tacked on by Paypal. Crazy.

Some dumb wing nut will say "Raise your price to cover the fees."

Answer: What happens when you raise price? Nobody will buy it.

So, conclusion is to find somewhere else to sell where they don't "tack on' lots of fees which kill your business.

Message 1 of 178
latest reply
177 REPLIES 177

Re: Ebay Fees too High .. sellers leaving in droves.

"Without checking on latest fees"  . . .  Why not? 

Message 121 of 178
latest reply

I've been an ebay member for more than two decades, and have sold and bought hundreds of items. I haven't sold anything for a couple years prior to selling a stereo this week. I couldn't believe the exorbitant fee charged! This will be my last sale on the platform, opting for low/no fee platforms. It would seem that a 5-8% fee would be appropriate given that ebay is simply sitting back and collecting fees as the seller does all the work in listing, packing, shipping, etc. Another example of big business ripping off the public. Sure, Ebay spent time, effort, and funds establishing and maintaining the platform, but I suspect a lot of folks in the company are living quite high on the hog.    

Message 122 of 178
latest reply

@adamxrose wrote:

ok i wasnt going to write anything but then i thought...WOW ..

had a few comments to add..

1. TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION IS TYRANNY ..hmm boston tea party anyone! 

2. buy one share of cheap ebay stock and go to the shareholders meeting in san jose if you can and scream there...that should get attention from someone ..invite the press! hmm..do they offer refreshments? might be worth the trip for the bad coffee..

3. write to devin not to the forum..i bet he just hates email by now. the delete key is probably broken by now too.

4. do a stand up routine on ebay and you might get some attention from someone ..at least you will get a few laughs..

5. continue to sent email to customer service. i have been waiting for the search engine to work on my account for more than 8 months. no reply..are they afraid? 

6. if so what are they afraid of?

7. its a search engine platform not a retail store. they need decent software. spend a few bucks on that and maybe things will improve overall. 

8. i could go on but i am starting to not feel like this is funny anymore(not that i did but its time for action..you know..i am sick and tired and not going to take it anymore. talk is cheap..invite the press. invite devin ..to try to sell something. he will fail on this platform.oops thats already happening. 

so sad to have to write this but its true. one share of ebay stock allows you to go to the shareholders meeting. doesnt everyone know that?

Message 123 of 178
latest reply

For a $700 jewelry sale, eBay charged me a 12% “final sale fee” PLUS a $50+ ad fee. I took home $538. Ebay stopped being my first choice for selling a long time ago. They are my dead-last option only to be used when I have tried for at least a year to sell a valuable item anywhere else. 

Message 124 of 178
latest reply

Somewhere in 1995. I sold as a kid on moms account. Made me own a few years after. Sold over 100s of items for over 20k. Remember when you were charged fvf off item price only? Ebay thought it was great to include shipping(to stop people from selling for 99 cents but charge 200 in shipping). Bad move they should just actively delete thos listings instead. Then some sign holding politic fools made ebay think they need ti charge taxes on already taxed used items. Whats the big 2020 bonus? You as the seller pay fvf on buyer tax even if your state doesnt do sales taxes.

I complained to them but they just kept saying they are cheaper than PayPal not really reading English. 

I hate this place thought I was done with it but no some unwanted item comes on my lap.

The best thing we can do is joint lawsuit, blood, prayer, or another programmer like me to get mad and make a new place like ebaylike1995 dot come or something.

Message 125 of 178
latest reply

Thank God there are some standing up to this new greedy dollar grab from eBay. I am gone from eBay and I hope many others run too. BUT EBAY HAS NEVER CARED ABOUT THE SELLERS AND I DOUBT THEY WILL EVEN OAY ATTENTION TO THESE COMPLAINTS. 

Message 126 of 178
latest reply

now its 12.9% and a fixed fee of $.30. but dont worry it's "free" to list. 

Message 127 of 178
latest reply

Topsecr-79,

Your last paragraph was EXACTLY what I said!  PLEASE, since you are a programmer, do it!  Make a new program, advertise the #$&#! out of it and let us all know here!  Take THAT  ebay!  A Class Action Law suit is long overdue as well!  I like your style!

Message 128 of 178
latest reply

If this thread was a toddler, it would be old enough to start pre-kindergarten. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 129 of 178
latest reply

I agree. 

Message 130 of 178
latest reply

It’s not even just that it’s the fact that between not giving a **bleep** about the sellers the ones that put the profit in their pocket period I’ll argue that one all day to anybody for two reasons A.) we are the ones putting the merchandise up and out there and also going around finding stuff to sell B.) we pay more in taxes and fees  paying towards the 1099 and we’re paying around 14 percent of the profit to them that doesn’t count if you also promote your item there’s a premium fee for that too and it seldom works even if you do the ad right to the T and C.)your entire future is on the mercy of your buyer someone has a bad day ruins your rating sales go away (something instacart and eBay have in common) literally dying platform eventually it’ll be consumed by the other more with it online sales companies I know I’ve moved over half my listings to other platforms and doing way more sales  because these people just don’t give a shiz about what they do or who they work for either half the time. Basically I guess helping spread the warning Sell elsewhere lol

Message 131 of 178
latest reply

fees are way to high , i feel im wasting my time on ebay now its not worth the hastle for the pittance being made, ebay has become clueless.

Message 132 of 178
latest reply

I’m losing interest in eBay now. Barely even check it.  Sick of seeing 0 views and 1 watcher. Thinking about just quitting before I get a credit card chargeback for $1500 from 2 years ago and lose the item and the money. Just not worth the stress.

Message 133 of 178
latest reply

I feel the same. I have been an ebay seller for over 12 years. I sold an iPhone 11 and was charged 55 dollars in total.

This would be my last item to sell on eBay. I rather sell for free on the Facebook market place. 

Bye bye eBay. 

Message 134 of 178
latest reply

And don’t even consider the IRS wants their 30% of what’s left. 
it is almost worthless to sell anything on eBay anymore. 

Message 135 of 178
latest reply