cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you feel a recession coming in your bones

I recently posted about slow sales on Ebay and how I believe problems with Ebay's site are at least partially responsible for subpar sales. While I wholeheartedly believe this to be true, I also feel like something is up with the economy. Within my circle of friends and acquaintances, I see a lot of people either barely holding their own or struggling with finances. When times are good, I typically see people doing remodels, buying big ticket items and going on vacations. I see very little of these activities going on in my community. Is it my imagination or just a local thing, or are you seeing the same. Just wanted to get the perspectives of the Ebay community throughout the U.S. Thanks!

Message 1 of 121
latest reply
120 REPLIES 120

Re: Do you feel a recession coming in your bones

I didn't get through the whole thread but what struck me about the economy was when there was the government shutdown and many people had no savings so they sold Christmas presents and got part-time jobs.  You are "supposed" to have at least 3 months saved for emergencies like that. If people can't manage that maybe they are really struggling with the cost of living. 

Second, I am looking at retirement sooner rather than later (not that I actually plan to retire fully until they carry me out of the office on a stretcher) so it's not a fun prospect that the stock market might crash and wipe us out. I admire people who have rental property but that has never been a good option for us (ill-suited to repairing houses and dealing with tenants).

Message 76 of 121
latest reply

@richards*rock*collection wrote:
"Top ramon will still be delivered to your door by the case so I think we all will still be ok.
And American Idol is still on to watch while eating that ramen. Nothing could possibly go wrong."

Maybe if you actually grew up and tried to same something of merit, I might listen. Until then, back to Ebay.
Message 77 of 121
latest reply

"Top ramon will still be delivered to your door by the case so I think we all will still be ok."

HaHa, you're acting like a child. Go read something so you can grow a bit.
Message 78 of 121
latest reply

oh sorry, off topic. I guess what I mean nothing will change, those with a 401 k and investment property will lose a bunch of money, as always.
Message 79 of 121
latest reply

"oh sorry, off topic. I guess what I mean nothing will change, those with a 401 k and investment property will lose a bunch of money, as always."

No need to apologize. I think it was my fault, as I misinterpreted your post. My mood with Ebay and other things not going so well, has left me a bit cranky. I think I long for the days when things were simpler and people got along. Oh well, back to reality.
Message 80 of 121
latest reply

I think eBay is symbolic of the state of affairs in the US.   Problems are not being addressed - instead we're fed a bunch of gobblygook rhetoric or out right lied to.  Changes are made with only eBay in mind and don't improve things for many - the same is true of political actions.   eBay manipulative practices are no different than government regulations.  

The top 10% are doing well - the rest of us not so much.  

Message 81 of 121
latest reply

marinermkes said:

"It's disappointing to me to see people who hate Trump so bad that they actually root for a recession.

CNN is the biggest spreader of **bleep** that there ever was."

You are absolutely correct! Most of the younger generations just refuse to plan for their future and postpone immediate gratification. We are graduating young adults with poor real life skills (math, grammar, etc.) and little to no common sense. They have no concept of money management much less how retirement vehicles (IRA's, 401K's, Defined Benefit Plans, Roth IRA's, etc.) work. I blame the break down of the family unit and the erosion of the school system. This I believe is a direct result of liberal left policies that has dumbed down our education system to the point that many now feel it is wrong to recognize/promote excellence with valedictorians. The latest nonsense is students should get a day off to go protest.

CNN has carried the liberal water for so long now that they do not know how do anything else. Thankfully they have been losing audience share for years and is comparatively small these days. Extremely happy to see that they had to pay up for all their lies about Nicholas Sandman. This has been going with them for years trying to misdirect/cover for the liberal left. The fact that some on the left actually would root for a recession should not surprise you. They are very desperate right now. They are facing a 1,2,3 knockout coming their way.

First, an acquittal in the Senate capping off a total waste of the peoples time by the house. Nancy's circus is finally about to come to an end.

Second, the Durham report will be coming out sometime midyear and may finally bring justice to those that perpetrated the Russian boondoggle on the American people at the cost of millions of taxpayer dollars. We can only hope that a Grand Jury is convened and ALL those responsible for this are finally held accountable their part in this. Then and only then will those government representatives/employees think twice before abusing their positions of authority.

Third, the re-election of Trump in November by those that matter, we the people, will cap off the trifecta. Then maybe we will be able to complete the remaining parts of the China agreement and get the border wall finished. Perhaps then we have a chance to know who is coming into our country and what is coming across border. Is it a perfect solution? No, but is certainly better than what we have now. Wouldn't we all like to know how many of our liberal Congressmen/Senators have walls/fences around their personal residences if walls do not work?

The current group of liberals in Washington are having an effect on many voters across the country. Unfortunately for them I am so disgusted with their tactics that I will NEVER vote for a Democrat for any office in the future. Maybe they don't care, but I have a feeling I am not alone.

Message 82 of 121
latest reply

I wish just once that the people who hate Trump  would consider what we would get with the alternative . Not even the left wing pundits are impressed with  the Democratic presidential hopefuls ,, none of them .  I do watch all choices of media  so I can form  a balanced opinion  so it's easy to see the Democratic  line up is more of a let down  in the eyes of the honest  enough to admit it. Then we have people using the excuse for hating Trump  because he lies while they use the information   brought to them by the same media sources that have been lying  to the general public for years. If lying bothered them  then why didn't they yank their support from either of the Clintons ? or from Elizabeth Warren the ex. indian whose whole life has been a lie?  Nah ,, it's nothing more than leftover  sour grapes  because they lost the 2016 election  and still can't get over it.  Tulips 

Message 83 of 121
latest reply

I'm quite familiar   with most of the left wing rags  and honesty has never been  their strong suits . I've seen the damage they've done as well . Even the liberal women on the view  criticized CNN  for jumping the gun by making up a totally phony story  and reporting it as a fact . If it were the first time they attempted to ruin the life  of someone just because they supported Trump  then the outcome would have been probably different . However  this time they were sued and they  lost . We seen the left wing riot , attack innocent people , tear down buildings and burn the American flag  the day Trump was elected . Yet the rest of us are supposed to take advice  from them and only support who they tell us to..  No thanks -- Tulips 

Message 84 of 121
latest reply

The current group of liberals in Washington are having an effect on many voters across the country. Unfortunately for them I am so disgusted with their tactics that I will NEVER vote for a Democrat for any office in the future. Maybe they don't care, but I have a feeling I am not alone.mvisl 

No you're not alone ,, not by a long shot . People by the thousands are still standing in line in the rain just to get into one of the presidents rallies . They are packed to the brim each and every time . Election day will be a sad one for the Democratic party . There's no question about that at all .  They know it too . Its one of the reasons we've been seeing so much of their desperation  to get Trump out of office before the voters put him back  in 2020.   Tulips 

Message 85 of 121
latest reply

We must separate opinion from fact and make our decisions based on those facts. goldrushfinds 

And yet you tried to say Trump never pays attention to his youngest son  when you couldn't possibly know for sure either way.   Tulips 

Message 86 of 121
latest reply

There is ALWAYS an economic recession coming; peaks and troughs are just part of the normal economic cycle.

How we perceive the current and future overall US economy apparently depends more on our own personal situation and (sadly) our political beliefs than on any statistical data.

Message 87 of 121
latest reply

couldabeen worse said:

"There is ALWAYS an economic recession coming; peaks and troughs are just part of the normal economic cycle.

How we perceive the current and future overall US economy apparently depends more on our own personal situation and (sadly) our political beliefs than on any statistical data."

The statistical data is currently positive and all the indicators are not forecasting a recession anytime in the next twelve months. Barring some as now unforeseen event, the economy should be fairly good for an election year. Whether we like it or not, how the economy is doing effects all of us and we should all hope that it continues to grow at a 2.5% - 3% rate. Excluding Ebay, just because someone is not currently doing well financially does not mean things can't get worse for them if the economy were to go into recession. Apparently there are some selfish/ignorant people out there with no idea what they are hoping for.

Message 88 of 121
latest reply

"If CNN is so honest why did we all have to listen to Russia/collusion made up story from them for two and a half years. Oh and lets not forget all the other "bombshells" they drop on us. Oh and by he way in case you weren't paying attention the poles are a bunch of whoie. Same ones that said Trump didn't have a chance."

I am sorry, but was that english?
Message 89 of 121
latest reply

This was a very enlightening thread...tulips especially. I would expound further but my BIAS would take over and we just can't have that, can we?

I still buy here...a bit, but i would never sell here again.

And as for the current administration...we will see, won't we?
Message 90 of 121
latest reply