cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess i just got taken

Posted an iphone and was notified that it sold and payment was received and to go ahead and ship, so i ship the same day. 2 days later i get an email from ebay that the buyer is a potential scammer and to not ship the item. Too late!! It supposed to arrive tomorrow. I've put in an intercept request but that is sketchy at best.

I'll never use paypal or ebay again! Paypal said on Thur that they received the money but when i called, they said that they hadn't acutally received the money yet and i should try to get the package back so if I do get it back, I'd spent almost 30 with shipment costs to the "buyer" and then back to me. 

Never will i buy or sell anything on ebay every again!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: I guess i just got taken

keystonetraders
Adventurer
I never ship until I see the money in my Pay Pal account. Never Never.
After 19 years on Ebay & Pay Pal I have never had this problem.
Just check your Pay Pal account by amount (they take a fee out) and the
name of the buyer & ebay listing #. If the $ is there then you should be safe to ship.
Keystonetraders.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The money was showing as payment received under a pending section in PayPal and eBay was saying to go ahead and ship. This is the first and last time to sell on eBay. I have used PayPal a ton. Had 2k in PayPal debt and paid it off but I won't be using PayPal anymore.  Paypal said that this scenario where a buyer can do an eft but not actually send the money. Sounds like PayPal needs to be their **bleep** together and actually protect sellers. I won't use either service ever again! Hope others read this and take heed and find another way to sell using other services that protect sellers!!!

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I have not had the exact experience you had, but I have received notice from PayPal that they received payment and after checking, the funds were not there, but did show up later.  My feelings are similar to yours about eBay and their failure to support and protect sellers.  I have been selling for many years on eBay have made them quite a bit of money, but recently discovered that they 99% of the time side with the buyer and completely ignore the rights of the seller.  I have sold thousands of items and have a 100% rating and eBay doesn't care, they are trying to compete with Amazon with their no questions asked about returns.  Ended up losing hundreds of dollars for something that was completely the buyer's fault.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

That's horrible! Sorry man! We need to form another site like ebay but that is fair to both the buyer and seller!! They will never be amazon so they should just stop trying. I called ebay back yesterday and told me good luck that I'm on my own and they only thing they would do is to send the guy an email asking to return it to me or to pay for it. HAHA! I don't think that would work. Luckily i called the post office where it arrived this morning and they were able to get the intercept (which i hear works about 50%) of the time but the 2 times I've used it, it worked but I had to work for it. 

Hope it gets better for you guys! You all deserve better for being loyal to Ebay and your customers. It's sad that scammers will always be ahead of the curve though.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Here's what I would do ... Print the message sent for you to ship .. go to the nearest small claims court ,, spend $20 bucks (you get that back in damages )  sue Ebay for all the money and time spent and you will win.  I know this because it's almost common.   Ebay can't send one of their reps to every case , plus the fact the have very few people outside the West Coast.  They will offer you a settlement once they get the summons simply because they know if no one represents them in court ,,They Forfiet and must pay damages because if they don't the Atty General in your state can intervene 

BTW .. It's done more than you know however Ebay is second to PayPal in claims.  PayPal makes millions by "Kitting"  (PP takes in millions daily ,,, so if they can hold your money <along with thousands of others> for just 1 day the interest over a year is huge.  Funny thing is that they have been fined a few times but it's cheaper to pay the fine then to quit Kiteing

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Check out Amazon ..their service of 1-2 delivery and follow up is doing to Ebay what Walmart did to Kmart   Amazon has almost anything you can find on Ebay  ,,, sadly,, no PayPal ,, but buying there is the same as Ebay except they have your Credit Card on file plus Amazon dosen't allow sellers to inflate shipping in order to profit the seller

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hi,

EBAY pretty much bullied me into mailing my items to this person who's payment to me was on hold by Ebay.   I'm so upset over this whole thing.  Ebay told me they held the money because I was a new seller, yet there is a a notation on my screens about what a great new buyer I am.   Never had a problem.   It makes me think that Ebay is business with the company that ripped me off, Meimei Express.   When I googled the address of the buyer (after being bullied by Ebay to ship) it turned out that the address was this Meimei Express out of China and not an individual person buying from me.   How did you stop Ebay from bullying you when you didn't ship?    I'm pulling out of Ebay, I'm a part-time buyer and don't need this stress from some corporate conglomerate.    Good Luck.   

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The exact same thing happened to me.  Ebay put the payment to me on hold.    Told me it was because I was a new seller.    I had sold 19 items without a single problem until this one.   Once Ebay told me they were holding the money until I shipped and they buyer received the item, I googled the buyer's address.    The address wasn't a home residence in San Jose, CA but MeiMei Express out of China.   I googled the buyer's name and nothing came up and I searched for her on FB and nothing came up.   My guess is that this buyer was fictitious and this Meimei Express has some kind of connection with Ebay.   I'm pulling out of Ebay.   I'm a small part-time seller, just wanting to get some item sold that I don't want in the house anymore.    I don't need Ebay or it's Corporate bullying.   I hope EBAY gets investigated by the government like FB did.    

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Ebay is still clueless that they are no longer the only game in town. 

Amazon may be more expensive on some items but they more than compensate buyers/sellers with their integrity.  I do a little more than half my purchases on Amazon but still buy from trusted sellers on Ebay. 

The difference between Amazon and Ebay can be condensed to the way problems are resolved.

Ebay makes me feel as though I did something wrong if I have a dispute. they make me feel as though I'm a PITA

Amazon on the other hand becomes apologetic because of the inconvenience , They make me feel like a valued customer

If you get stiffed at Ebay then you absorb the shipping costs ,, but if you get shafted at Amazon they make it as painless as possible and even absorb some/all of the return costs.

If I buy something from Offshore from Ebay I can wait a month or more for the item.

Amazon will usually ship within a week.

I suspect that both Ebay/PayPal kite money from buyers/sellers  (they keep the funds ALAP in order to maintain Millions in transit and that gives them interest on millions of "Floating" monies  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply