cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, September 1 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Community Chat, September 1 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay 

For me, at least, this is not related to default settings, as @a_c_green  mentioned.  My defaults are media.  And 99% of the time, that is not changed when I purchase the label.

Message 46 of 64
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@glenvonnie wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Is it true that ending listings and then using "Sell Similar" refreshes listings and results in more views, or does editing all your listings without making any changes does the same ?

Are items that have been listed for a long time likely to appear farther down in search results ?

Thanks

Hey @glenvonnie! It's a rumor I have heard before but it's not true either way, the views on the listing and sold history can help boost your best match results. You can also check here for best match optimization as well! 

This has not always been the case.  Certainly things may have changed in recent years.  But there was a time that when you did a  RELIST that the sold history followed the listing for up to about 90 days.  Buyers nor sellers could see it, but it was considered.  The Sell Similar was a fresh new listing so that all the old views were not considered, so didn't weigh the new listing down and the listing was refreshed, all new and shiny.

So you are saying that a listing that is created Via Sell Similar are not considered a new listing with the opportunities offered to a new listing.  That no matter what we do short of creating a new listing from scratch, we can't get rid of the old views that aren't always an asset.  Besides a Sell Similar may not even be for the same product as the original listing, just something similar to it.

Please respond before the chat closes so we can ask more questions depending on jasmen@ebay answer.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 47 of 64
latest reply

tyler@ebay   You're welcome.  It's just a single example, but there are many over the last several days - whether I do bulk label purchasing or a single one..... Thanks, Tyler.

Message 48 of 64
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:
Much to her dismay there was no way for her to contact the buyer within the return request.  She then went to try to contact the buyer from another direction and was blocked from contacting the buyer at all.

I suppose it's too late now, but did she try either messaging the buyer through the buyer's feedback page, or phoning him up via the buyer's phone number in the Order Details page? (The email address would be gone after two weeks, but the phone number persists.)

Message 49 of 64
latest reply

@farmlandparts

I had a book that didn't fit once in a return.  LOL!

Message 50 of 64
latest reply

@tools* wrote:

I had two returns. eBay provided the shipping labels and I was overcharged by $29. I corresponded with Velvet on Facebook and after a two-week delay, she finally explained that the overcharge was because each USPS Priority Mail package weighed 96 pounds. I explained that you can't ship a 96-pound package by USPS Priority Mail, and that the actual weight of each package was 5 pounds.

What do I have to do to get a refund from eBay? Credit card chargeback? Small claims court? News media?

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

The logical inconsistency on behalf of eBay/USPS here is amazing... Starting with the fact that they only charged you $29 to ship what they claim is a 96 lb box??

Message 51 of 64
latest reply

'Should be able to' doesn't carry much weight too many places.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 52 of 64
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

Jasmen,

Do you agree the math is off?

@postcardcountry It doesn't seem off to me, but without looking at all the specifics I couldn't say for sure. It looks like @lacemaker3 is an amazing math guru that did some of the math (thanks so much for that) you can see their post here

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 53 of 64
latest reply

Sorry but the USPS requires proof, filing a claim is a waste of time without pictures and even then they require inspection, so if they won't take up to PO or return the rod, I'm out $70. Ebay needs to protect their sellers too, like I said I'm pulling my high dollar items, for some its really not high dollar but for a disable veteran its food for my family

Message 54 of 64
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Good afternoon eBay Support Team!

Subject:  More Seller Hub display issues

1. Orders Tile - Managed all orders page display default issue:  When I change from the default 90 days display to "This month" it will NOT stay that way.  I shared this before on The Community, still an issue and the work around to get the monthly display and Bookmark it is NOT what I would expect to have to do with Seller Hub.

Screenshot (3047).png

2. Overview page Sales total:  The default, or more accurately the ONLY, display choice is the last 31 days.  My first job as a kid was delivering Newspapers ... we had to collect from customers on a MONTHLY BASIS ... since then EVERY BILL I have had to pay has been MONTHLY, many other things are MONTHLY including eBay invoices (when they had them) and MONTHLY Store subscription.   Sellers need the choice to have this display CURRENT MONTH.

Screenshot (3048).png

Hi @mr_lincoln - I'll happily send this to the Seller Hub team. As usual, please make sure you're also sending this input via the 'Comments' link too!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 55 of 64
latest reply

@mam98031   Absolutely!

Message 56 of 64
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@postcardcountry wrote:

I have noticed an odd problem....I am hoping you can explain eBay's math....

Seller Hub --> Seller Level 

Transaction defect rate      1 of 1080 items   ---   .09 percent      ?????????

when I see all, it shows only 1 defect

.09 percent would be 97 items

Return rate does the same thing

1 of 1079 transactions   ----  .09 percent  ???????

when I see all, it shows only 1 defect

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would start to question all of eBay's math.

@postcardcountry, the math seems to be correct to me.

1 / 1080 = 0.000925925925925925 then if you multiply that by 100% to get the percentage, it gives 0.09259% ... rounding that off to 2 decimal places, it is 0.09%

Your second example:

1 / 1079 = 0.000926784059314179 multiplied by 100% gives 0.09268% and rounding that to 2 decimal places it is 0.09% again.

If you had 97 defects out of 1080 transactions, that would be 0.08981481481481481481481481481481 or 8.98%.

@postcardcountry, sorry to post again, but I think I spotted your mistake.

If you multiply 1080 x 0.09 = 97.2. But, that's not how to calculate the numer of defects correctly.

You need to multiply 1080 x 0.09% = 1080 x (0.09/100) = 1080 x 0.0009 = 0.972 and that rounds off to 1 defect (one defect).

Message 57 of 64
latest reply

Thanks for joining this weeks chat, it's now closed. We will continue working through and answer the questions posted, have a fantastic day! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 58 of 64
latest reply

@tincan630 wrote:

Ebay has "upgraded' the search for anything bar and made it absolutely useless! I used to be able to get a drop down list of my previous searches or if I typed the first letter of a word I'd get a drop down list of my previous searches that began with that letter. Now I get a nonsense list of things that I have no interest in. The only way I can still search the way I want to is to constantly go back and forth to advanced search, which wastes my time and has made ebay no longer user friendly.  At least for this disgruntled user!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey @tincan630! I'm not running into that on my end. I just brought up eBay.com and entered my cursor in the search bar and it populated past searches. I then typed a letter in and even more options populated starting with that letter. Some from past searches and then a lot below that for things I've not searched yet as suggestions. I'm on Chrome if you want to give that browser a try. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 59 of 64
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:
I haven't heard of this at all - that's definitely concerning. I'll get it reported from my end. Do you have current orders that are displaying that way? I'd love to grab a screenshot. 

I can offer one of my recent sales as an example. My item 234151762805 had First Class Package as the default method, but I actually shipped it via Priority Mail. The tracking number shown in the sales record is correct (order number 17-07523-32954), but the Shipping method shown there is USPS First Class, which it was not.

It appears that default data field values from the Shipping form are being copied into the sales record, rather than the values in effect when the Shipping label was eventually purchased. Changes made by the seller prior to purchasing the label do not seem to have been recorded.

I can actually see this error occurring in any sale of mine where I changed the shipping method. Other examples include 334120975673 (Order Number 25-07517-79456) or 234135984701 (08-07494-61694). I can provide more, but three is probably plenty.

I first posted this in the Technical Issues group about a month ago, but with no apparent response: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/Order-Details-showing-wrong-Shipping-Metho... 

Thanks for all this context and the additional examples @a_c_green

Tyler,
eBay
Message 60 of 64
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: