cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, February 16 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Community Chat, February 16 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  - the issue with fees for lead acid batteries being applied to all items in battery categories bubbled back up again 2 weeks ago.

I understand last week was crazy with the Winter update, but this issue still needs to be addressed - what is eBay going to do for buyers who overpaid tax *and* for sellers who were overcharged FVFs due to this issue?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Overcharged-Tax-on-Battery-Sales/m-p/32670186/highlight/t...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/NY-tax-rate-42/m-p/32676817/highlight/true#M1935249 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Ebay-is-charging-over-100-tax-in-South-Carolina-for-button/m-... 

Hi @valueaddedresource - this is a reported technical issue impacting some members. Buyer and Sellers who feel they have been charged improperly should contact CS to have their transaction reviewed and added to the open ticket and can request credits from the teammate they work with. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 67
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Do you know if we are moving to 4 Seller Updates a year now instead of 2.  I don't even remember if or when we last had a Winter update.  So have we moved to a quarterly update with little to no notice?  Not to mention that we didn't even get a 30 day notice on an increase in fees.

Hi @mam98031 I don't have any information to share on this topic. There's not a set amount but I will pass along the feedback on the heads up portion for sure! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 17 of 67
latest reply

Thank you for the clarification. I still do not understand why it is recommended for non-topographical and not for topographical. Does not make sense.

I understand also the fact that buyers add specifics to their search and I am quite certain that postcards collectors to not search for "year manufactured". They search for era.

And also if I put a postmark date in the title, sometimes the date is automatically added to year manufactured if I don't pay attention. It should not be that way. 

Well, anyway...

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 18 of 67
latest reply

since this is in the middle of a work day, i have managed to miss the chat for several weeks now.  not sure if this was covered, so pls forgive if it was...

after about 24 years with ebay, i suddenly have a restriction on the price i can list for.  I've never had a problem with a buyer, so i know that wouldn't have triggered it.   my restricted amount would be a really high amount for most people, but the issue is that i don't sell often, but when i do, it can be very high-value items -- collectible card games.  and, given the prices are going up all the time, this could be a problem in the future.

I was wondering why, and what i can do about it?  thank you.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 19 of 67
latest reply

I also want to thank you guys for my video upload.....it took ten days, but after you put in a ticket, it went live pretty quickly. I've seen some posts about people having trouble getting to videos to load recently (I haven't tried it lately), but can I suggest that ebay set up a specific flow for video issues?  Instead of just contacting Customer Service?  There doesn't seem to be any particular protocol for video issues.....videos taking too long, for example...and I've yet to see any info on what process ebay will use to notify us if a video is rejected?

These sorts of things should be in place by now. Please pass this on to the proper team.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comments can be found here

Message 20 of 67
latest reply

I mean it should have been automatic like the last one.  I have talked to MP support and they told me it would take 30-60 days.  I qualify for seller protection why do you people refuse to honor it?  Either offer it or don't!

Message 21 of 67
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

If I get a PM from a mod and click on the link from the header for that mod - will a message get back to that/a mod or does it go into a  not received/monitored black hole?

Hi @glgenterprise - you should be able to reply to a mod PM like you would a regular PM from another member. I don't have PMs turned on, so I can't verify the exact experience for you, but that sounds about right from what I understand of the newer message layout (clicking the message and using reply). 

If that's not the case please let me know!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 22 of 67
latest reply

I like the new store tab for feedback (so far, only on the app, I believe), but can we get an ETA on the long overdue newsletter sign up function that we were promised for the Store's About page?

-----

Message 23 of 67
latest reply

Another update request: I was disappointed to see the FVF fee increase in the Winter Update, but nothing about the promised 2.5% FVF for social media referrals....is that still "coming soon"? Or has ebay quietly dropped it? If it coming soon, can you give us an idea of when "soon" might be?

-----

Edit: A reply to this question can be found here

Message 24 of 67
latest reply

@vivabe wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. I still do not understand why it is recommended for non-topographical and not for topographical. Does not make sense.

I understand also the fact that buyers add specifics to their search and I am quite certain that postcards collectors to not search for "year manufactured". They search for era.

And also if I put a postmark date in the title, sometimes the date is automatically added to year manufactured if I don't pay attention. It should not be that way. 

Well, anyway...

Thanks for the input @vivabe - if you have any other recommendations for the way item specifics should be categorized consider sending your feedback to sdsupport@ebay.com - that is the team directly in charge of Item Specifics and categories in general. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 25 of 67
latest reply

Hey there @c.b. sorry to hear you're running into this! If you reach out to our eBay for Business page on Facebook they can take a deep dive and get back to you with all the info. You're welcome to go through the normal help flow to set up a call back, but if you're on Facebook that team is a great resource! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 26 of 67
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  - the issue with fees for lead acid batteries being applied to all items in battery categories bubbled back up again 2 weeks ago.

I understand last week was crazy with the Winter update, but this issue still needs to be addressed - what is eBay going to do for buyers who overpaid tax *and* for sellers who were overcharged FVFs due to this issue?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Overcharged-Tax-on-Battery-Sales/m-p/32670186/highlight/t...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/NY-tax-rate-42/m-p/32676817/highlight/true#M1935249 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Ebay-is-charging-over-100-tax-in-South-Carolina-for-button/m-... 

Hi @valueaddedresource - this is a reported technical issue impacting some members. Buyer and Sellers who feel they have been charged improperly should contact CS to have their transaction reviewed and added to the open ticket and can request credits from the teammate they work with. 

Thank you tyler@ebay  - however, I think a more proactive approach is warranted here.

Sellers may not even be aware their sales were affected by the issue, especially if they are high volume sellers - do you really think they comb through the sales tax amount of every single order and would notice a few that had an extra few dollars added in?

At the very least can we get a pinned post in the technical issues board about the issue to alert sellers in those categories there was an issue and to check their sales and contact support if affected?

Also, as was mentioned this issue came up a year ago, the extra fee is not called out separately as a battery recycling fee, it is lumped in with sales tax, which just confuses the issue.  From a design/UX/transparency perspective even in cases where that fee should correctly be applied, it should be a separate line item that clearly states what is it is for.

-----

Message 27 of 67
latest reply

At least with PayPal they didn't exploit cheap overseas labor to save a buck.  They actually hired people who could answer questions. 

Message 28 of 67
latest reply

@c.b. wrote:

since this is in the middle of a work day, i have managed to miss the chat for several weeks now.  not sure if this was covered, so pls forgive if it was...

after about 24 years with ebay, i suddenly have a restriction on the price i can list for.  I've never had a problem with a buyer, so i know that wouldn't have triggered it.   my restricted amount would be a really high amount for most people, but the issue is that i don't sell often, but when i do, it can be very high-value items -- collectible card games.  and, given the prices are going up all the time, this could be a problem in the future.

I was wondering why, and what i can do about it?  thank you.

-----

I don't know if this will help.  But are you referring to your Selling Limits?  If you are, Ebay allows you to ask for an increase once every 30 days.  Just keep doing that until your limit far exceeds anything you may require.

Request assistance (ebay.com)

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 67
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I like the new store tab for feedback (so far, only on the app, I believe), but can we get an ETA on the long overdue newsletter sign up function that we were promised for the Store's About page?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - I don't have any update on this but have sent it to the Stores team (oh that's so nice to say again) and will let you know as I hear back!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 30 of 67
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: