cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need info on a vintage Le Jour watch please

I came across this Vintage Le Jour watch and have no idea how to list it as I know very little about it. On the bezel is 17 jewels, shock resistant and Swiss. It winds and keeps time well but is missing a crown, I am not sure what that crown does as the other one sets the time. Any info would be appreciated!

44F25A8F-2B53-4557-9262-FAE264358624.jpeg

FEC90F14-DA84-46D5-A900-8681F789A5E1.jpeg

B7FC97DE-C6A5-40D5-AFA6-5116B5BA86D7.jpeg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need info on a vintage Le Jour watch please

Hi there,

You said this pocket watch is missing a crown but it runs and keeps time. So the missing crown has nothing to do with winding mechanism, right?! The other crown is to set alarm. This is a pocket watch with alarm

To maximize your return and value, it's the best to fix it. But if the repair cost is not reasonable to you, don't spend the money, because you could always sell it "as is" on eBay. Total cost to me to repair something like this, as I see; it's missing Stem and Crown is appx. $25 but it might cost you much more. So, think about which route you want to take by checking your resources

To place a value on the watch, first you need to identify the caliber and metal content. This metal doesn't seem to be gold. But you need to make sure in two ways. First identify the metal content markings, second if you can not find any metal content markings, you need to test the metal to make sure, you're not selling a gold pocket watch for base metal value 

Once, you have gone through above two simple steps, selling road is easy and clear. There is an interest out there for mechanical alarm watches because no one is making them anymore. Research a price and post it the best you could, including readings of all markings and a picture of the movement. You could always let the watch enthusiasts make their own evaluation by posting the watch on a 10 day auction with reasonable initial value

Good luck to you.

If you have anymore questions, please ask!

,Kia

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi there,

You said this pocket watch is missing a crown but it runs and keeps time. So the missing crown has nothing to do with winding mechanism, right?! The other crown is to set alarm. This is a pocket watch with alarm

To maximize your return and value, it's the best to fix it. But if the repair cost is not reasonable to you, don't spend the money, because you could always sell it "as is" on eBay. Total cost to me to repair something like this, as I see; it's missing Stem and Crown is appx. $25 but it might cost you much more. So, think about which route you want to take by checking your resources

To place a value on the watch, first you need to identify the caliber and metal content. This metal doesn't seem to be gold. But you need to make sure in two ways. First identify the metal content markings, second if you can not find any metal content markings, you need to test the metal to make sure, you're not selling a gold pocket watch for base metal value 

Once, you have gone through above two simple steps, selling road is easy and clear. There is an interest out there for mechanical alarm watches because no one is making them anymore. Research a price and post it the best you could, including readings of all markings and a picture of the movement. You could always let the watch enthusiasts make their own evaluation by posting the watch on a 10 day auction with reasonable initial value

Good luck to you.

If you have anymore questions, please ask!

,Kia

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Wouldn't removal of the case back reveal the model number/movement number/caliber of the pocket watch which could then be looked up?

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Not always,

This is a marked "Le Jour". A Swiss company of medium to low grade watches. This company has changed hand several times during the past 100 years and their products are not main focus of Watch World.   

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks @santamonicajeweler 

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You're welcome Pussycat! 🤣 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply