cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Marathon GSAR a good watch for the money?

geebee711
Enthusiast
I have a chance to purchase A new Marathon GSAR for less than it's $675 retail price, from one of it's two authorized sellers. I'm looking for a rugged military watch. Other much more expensive watches like "TAG", and "Omega", are heavily advertized, and I'm sure that their prices will include some of these advertizing costs. Marathon watches are not advertized, so I'm thinking one would get an equally good watch, at a lower price. Are they a good value, and are the ETA 2824-A2 movement used, reliable? These watches are not generally offered outside of their military contract. One side note: I wanted a watch with Tritium. Spec's below.

Made by the Marathon Watch Company by contract to the Canadian and now the U.S. Government
Movement: ETA 2824-A2Dial: measures 27.7mm and utilizes Tritium Gas Vials for Night Illumination
Crystal: sapphire - 2.8mm thick x 30.50mm diameter
Case: is cut from 316L stainless steel
Case diameter is approximately 46.0mm
Bezel diameter is 41.10mm, milled engraved and filled
Case Height is 13.85mm
20 mm lugs with drilled holes
Crown: 6.5mm dia x 5.50mm long, deep knurled
Weight of head 93.1 grams
Rubber Strap is Swiss Made Natural Rubber (not to be confused with plastic or composite bands)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Counterfeit items suck...... almost as much as the people who sell them!
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Greg... got Gene Stone's "The Watch" today... I see what you mean about so many people having watch companies... I'd say a good 20-30% of the brands in here I've never heard of before, even though most are just as beautiful as the more well-known brands.

A the pictures in here are wonderful. (haven't been able to manage to read more than a word or two so far!) My only gripe about the book is it does not give any sort of price for any of them. *sigh* I'm going to be spending alot of time on google, LOL!
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
Jade,

It's a nice book. Gene was kind enough to send me several signed copies of the book a few months ago, so I gave them away to customers as Christmas gifts this year. He's already on a collecting spree again to gather new watches for his next book.

Greg
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

"I'd say a good 20-30% of the brands in here I've never heard of before, even though most are just as beautiful as the more well-known brands."

I think a lot of smaller watch companies are more like integrators than manufacturers. They design the watch, get the movement from company A, have the dial made by company B, have the case made by Company D, etc., than have someone put it all together.
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
Jim,

The Swiss term for a company that buys movements from others and assembles them is an "etablisseur". Unfortunately, there are very few companies left that make everything in-house (Swiss term: "a manufacture"). Among the small handful of companies that qualify as a true manufacture: Patek Philippe, Rolex, Jaeger-LeCoultre and a few others.

Greg

Greg
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Greg - what about a mid-range Swiss company like Omega? They do more than just integration, right? An example of what I was thinking of is like Tom Gref's watches - I can't imagine he makes any part of the watch.
Message 20 of 28
latest reply

gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
Omega is technically an etablisseur since they haven't made their own movements in-house for many years. Even though their movements come from their sister company, ETA, the Swiss watchmaking community doesn't consider Omega a "manufacture" anymore. With their new "Hour Vision" series and the caliber 8500 movement, at least Omega is taking steps to design/produce some of its own movements again.

Greg
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

I think watches are getting to be like diamond rings...

i.e. they might be designed by different jewelers, but most of the diamonds come from de Beers...
Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Jade and to all here: I find these forums an interesting place to hear (read) the views of watch lovers in general. And i also agree that the watch Greg assembled with the 7750 chrono movement is strkingly beautiful. What makes the watch beautiful is design! The case, dial, hands, timer markings, indexes etc., is what clearly attracts you in the initial stages of buying the watch. Geebee wants the Marathon simply because he likes the look of the watch and wants advice on if a price below asking is worth it? The answer is simply yes. The value to each their own.

As a watch designer myself for many swiss companies small as well as large, i find that many companies advertise what they think comsumers want to hear based on analogy of scientific psychology. The truth of the matter is there are many quality movements and this is what most writers of watches put the most focus on. However, from the inside of the company many would be surprised at how much focus is placed on the dial design. You may not believe this but most watches of the vintage era as well as today have 70% of their value in dial design. Keep in mind this has nothing to do with MSRP but from a actual cost factor.

As to your example of ring designs and de beers diamonds, this is pretty much exactly how watches have always been made. IMHO i will always welcome new and inovative creativity from different perspectives regardless of whether the watch companies are large or small. To think in terms of Branded companies only would be a disservice to who is really behind their masterpieces. These are the artist that work for the companies or freelance their skills and have the ideas that the companies use. Money, marketing, quality of products, and history of longevity usually contribute to a manufactures success, among other things. This fact holds true to any succesful company of any genre.

On a final note: how many of the greatess artist of all generations can stake claim to inventing pigment color for the paint they use? They take what someone else has created and continue to create. Like watch companies, they simply adopt the form of understanding and create in their likeness of art. So Greg, i would never pass on the dream of starting a watch company if it is truly your passion. Millions aren't needed to be creative, that's in your being and free, others will see your genius and be happy to give you what you need. WBD
Message 23 of 28
latest reply

geebee711
Enthusiast
Thanks to those who actually replied to my question on this thread.
Counterfeit items suck...... almost as much as the people who sell them!
Message 24 of 28
latest reply

Lots of interesting posts!

The Marathon GSAR is not a collectable watch but it will work as advertised. If you want a heavy duty watch that you can wear that will attract attention -- the GSAR is it. I have had Tags and Omegas. The Tags are a psuedo sports watch and not really meant for rugged wear. But you can wear them equally at the office or on the weekend. The mechanical Tags are overpriced in my opinion and their resale is poor. Even heard of one that lost its hands when used for weekend Harley riding (if your familiar with the Harley shake, that is a good test of a watch). The Omega is a bit dressier and holds its value. I like the Sea Master chronos myself. They have a good look and feel even better on the wrist. But you are looking at $2,000 to $3,000 on ebay.

The GSAR can always be found and is not really scarce. The case and movement should last a long time as do most mechanicals. The accuracy will only be about 20 seconds a day but I have heard some do better. Mechanicals just do not fail like quartz watches. I have clones over 18 yo that still keep good time and will not stop.

Plus the Marathon has that timeless Rolex look. I like the stainless band instead of the rubber but to each their own. And at over 90 grams, it weighs more than either a Tag or the Omega.

The price is right where is should be. If you ever looked at the old Steinharts or Invictas which are solid watches, the GSAR takes that classic no nonsense look one step further. Very much like pulling up to your favorite restaurant in a classic Plymouth muscle car with a lumpy cam.
Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Hi -- The Marathon GSAR is an excellent watch and value for the money.  It is rated for 300 meter submersion diving and has a 25 jewel adjusted movement.  The watch is assembled in small batches in Switzerland.  Your best bet is to purchase from an experienced authorized dealer such as chronometer.net.

Cheers -- Chris

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Oldest and probably best authorized Marathon dealer is: chronometer.net.  Their customer service is excellent and they provided full manufacturer's warranty. 

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

I agree with above.  The GSAR is a great watch for the money.  I recommend purchasing from an authorized dealer such as eBay user: windycitywatchcollector .  That way you know you are getting an authentic product and a 2-year Marathon warranty.  

Message 28 of 28
latest reply