cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake eBay Watches

Beware; eBay is allowing sellers to sell fake eBay watches. I recently bought this Dan Henry watch, where each Dan Henry Watch has a unique serial number and only 500 of these watches were ever made, per the Dan Henry site. This is the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275875741416

But then, just after this watch was sold, another listing, also by a Japanese seller, as with the first watch immediatly went up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185920338238

Note that the photos are EXACTLY the same. Even worse, the two watches have the exact same serial number. How could this be? How could the same watch, with the exact same photos and SAME SERIAL NUMBER be listed twice (especially with this watch model only ever having 500 watches ever made), by two different Japanese sellers? The answer: counterfeit watches.

Even worse, when I went to report the counterfeit watch, I was limited to only 100 CHARACTERS in my report. How can I possibly report the issue with proper detail while limited such a teeny tiny character limit.

This makes me think very poorly of eBay's reputation. It is thus the last time I will ever buy a luxury item on ebay (watches, fragrances, clothes, etc.). Shame on eBay for letting counterfeit products run so rampant on their platform while a the same time advertising "legitimate luxury brand products" on the front page of ebay.com now, too. eBay is a very sketchy place to buy things, indeed.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Fake eBay Watches

As you probably can imagine if you think about it, there is no way for eBay to check the authenticity of every item listed for sale on eBay.

If what you received is not as described, why not just use the Money Back Guarantee for buyers and open an item not as described case? You have 30 days to do this with eBay.  Failing that, you can open a case with Paypal if that was your payment method.  Last chance would be a chargeback on your credit card.  

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Fake eBay Watches

I did and got the item refunded. The greater issue, though, is that counterfeit products seem rampant on eBay.

For example, I have seen the mentioned watched listed across 5 different listings in the last week. In the mentioned case, as well as the noted case, there were different international sellers listing the same watch, same serial number, not stock photo watches, multiple times across different accounts.

Thankfully, I was wise enough to catch this, before I spent $300 on a counterfeit watch, but I bet the vast, vast majority of people who fall victim to counterfeits on eBay do not even notice it (which raises some interesting philosophical though on the idea of the true "worth" of luxury items itself).  eBay, by allowing this, is a wretched hive of scum and villainy indeed. And to your point of "there is no way for eBay to check the authenticity of every item listed for sale on eBay," that may be suggested, but then why do I not see the same level of counterfeiting on Amazon?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Fake eBay Watches

With reference to Amazon, you may not see this particular item, but there are a ton of counterfeit items on their site. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Fake eBay Watches

Have no idea why you do not see the same level of counterfeiting on Amazon, just repeating that it would cost how many millions of dollars for eBay to employ experts in every field possible and to require the item be sent to that expert before being sold.  If you have any practical suggestions for eBay to curb this, they might be interested.  

Personally, if I were purchasing a high dollar item on eBay, or anywhere else for that matter, I think I would make sure I knew enough about what I was purchasing to avoid being scammed.  If I were scammed, however, I would know how to use the MBG to handle the issue.  

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Fake eBay Watches

For pricey items , it's best to shop in person in a very reputable store. I do realize not everyone lives near stores.  Anyway, it's impossible for ebay to monitor.  One good tip is if the item is a lot cheaper than at the store , there is usually a  reason.  Look at the sellers' feedback. They should be here a long time and have a lot of feedback.  Preferably look at the feedback for the same type of item that you  are buying.  If they have little or no feedback, then shop elsewhere.   Thankfully, you were refunded.  Did ebay tell you to ship back the item?  If not, throw it away but break it so that no one else finds it and decides to list it on ebay. Technically it's a federal crime to ship anything counterfeit.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Fake eBay Watches

Bought a Rado diastar watch on Ebay. Took it to a authorized Rado dealer and resulted is a cheap chinese replica that cant be repaired. Beware..

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Fake eBay Watches

Yeah I'm always reporting fake watches on ebay. They always say they found no problem. Even when I give reasons, serial numbers checked on Tissot website for example. They don't care. It's buyer beware im afraid. Obviously they haven't been sued yet.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Fake eBay Watches

You received an item that is not as described.  You have 30 days to open an NAD case.

No one employed by eBay checks every item listed to be sure it's authentic.  How many more employees would that take? And the logistics would be frightening.

Most of us prefer to buy any "luxury brand products" at a store in person.  Think about it.  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Fake eBay Watches

And now I see that yours was a necro-post.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply