cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victorian velvet jacket?

Hello everyone. I've been asked to try to sell some items, and one is a jacket for which I'm having trouble pinning down particulars. The owner insists it is Victorian and aside from the fact that it doesn't look that old to me and appears to be in pretty nice condition, she thinks that because the store it came from was founded circa 1850, that it must be that old. These are the photos she gave me to start with; I am getting the jacket in a while,  Any thoughts at all would be much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Victorian velvet jacket?

Well, isn't that a pretty thing?  And condition does look excellent.  City of Paris in San Francisco was, of course, a luxury store so one would expect a quality item.  And they used the same logo forever.  I'm assuming a women's jacket.  But 1850 would be quite early, I'd think.  The early Victorian silhouette had a slightly raised, nipped waist and jackets were designed to accomodate voluminous skirts.  (If you do a Google internet search, you'll easily see what I mean.)  Given the slightly gathered dropped waist and relatively lean line, I'd think Edwardian was more likely.  

Debora 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Victorian velvet jacket?

Well, isn't that a pretty thing?  And condition does look excellent.  City of Paris in San Francisco was, of course, a luxury store so one would expect a quality item.  And they used the same logo forever.  I'm assuming a women's jacket.  But 1850 would be quite early, I'd think.  The early Victorian silhouette had a slightly raised, nipped waist and jackets were designed to accomodate voluminous skirts.  (If you do a Google internet search, you'll easily see what I mean.)  Given the slightly gathered dropped waist and relatively lean line, I'd think Edwardian was more likely.  

Debora 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Victorian velvet jacket?

Debora, thank you for the detailed and very helpful answer.  I appreciate it very very much!!!

UAS

Message 3 of 3
latest reply